• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I liked the first movie well enough! So on a lateral tangent here, the one movie that I saw recently that really made me think of Doctor Strange through no intent on it's part was Spider-verse. I would love to see a Dr Strange epic with a similar style of animation.

Maybe Strange will get a What If? episode. The preview animation looks pretty cool so far.

258082246_whatif.thumb.jpg.248d947f128636c4067bf3ee810712e8.jpg

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It sounds like Derrickson had something smaller scale in mind, as gothic and horror usually work best on a small scale, whereas Feige probably wants Strange 2 to work on a larger scale as it would involve the multiverse. And again, wouldn't Blade cover Marvel's gothic and horror itch and maybe even be R rated?

Gothic and horror were part of the most exciting 70's Doctor Strange stories from Steve Englehart and Frank Brunner. From your comments of Doctor Stranger 2 needing to be bigger you may not have familiarity with the greatness of those stories. Yet if you got back to the previous pages, that is exactly where Scott Derrickson was focusing. A fantastic period for this character that also would have involved key in-story characters.

52 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, why should this sudden and cataclysmic earth shaking parting of ways be all on Marvel? Maybe Scott Derrickson suddenly turned into some auteur from hell and wanted his way or the highway? Maybe he did want to do some crazy rated R gorefest  movie which, again, would be wrong for the Doctor.

Because you probably don't get it. Some of us actually read and collected these 70's comic books with Doctor Strange, and were excited to see what Scott Derreckison was going to deliver.

But in your mind, whatever Feige feeds up as the MCU next wide-universe tale is fantastic and perfectly delivered. Screw the comic books!

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

Like I said, what we get will likely be fine. But I was interested in what Derrickson had cooking.

A fellow fan! :x

Like I said, as some are actually fans of the comic books and loved those 70's stories and how they focused so much on the foundations of these characters, what we don't need is more 'bigger, brighter, funnier' universe films every time.

Doctor_Strange01.thumb.jpg.ca030233a10cd17a1135c9c44930d255.jpg

And we sure as heck don't need any more 'Tony Stark created everything technological' influences.

1 minute ago, Mr Sneeze said:

One of the strongest titles of the silver age and leading into the bronze is Dr Strange IMHO. I think the material really is too good for the movies, or at least this is one area where the movies show their short-comings. Just my 2c

The magical shifting landscape scenes and Doctor Strange negotiating with Dormammu were just the tip of the wild and wacky iceberg. This entire scene looked fantastic in 3-D.

But I definitely wanted much more based on those 70's stories.

There’s a rumor that Roxxon Oil May get introduced in a Phase Four movie/show. With this and the Eternals and other rumors, I wonder if the main purpose of Phase Four is really to rebuild the Marvel Cinematic Universe from the ashes of Endgame in order to set up Phase Five? I guess this has already been conjectured. Perhaps Derrickson didn’t want his movie to serve as another Marvel world building cog. But  you see, Scott, that’s how this whole thing works. This isn’t traditional cinema that Scorsese only likes. It’s an expanded universe of great characters that span over each other’s movies and soon streaming TV.

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

There’s a rumor that Roxxon Oil May get introduced in a Phase Four movie/show. With this and the Eternals and other rumors, I wonder if the main purpose of Phase Four is really to rebuild the Marvel Cinematic Universe from the ashes of Endgame in order to set up Phase Five? I guess this has already been conjectured. Perhaps Derrickson didn’t want his movie to serve as another Marvel world building cog. But  you see, Scott, that’s how this whole thing works. This isn’t traditional cinema that Scorsese only likes. It’s an expanded universe of great characters that span over each other’s movies and soon streaming TV.

Roxxon seems like a tv thing they could easily slide into backgrounds and story elements. Doc can work in any type of story (except maybe westerns) but Roxxon seems unlikely in his movie unless they are breeding monsters or exploring dimensions. I could see Roxxon easily in Captain marvel 2 though, or anything earth/human centered.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

Roxxon seems unlikely in his movie unless they are breeding monsters or exploring dimensions. I could see Roxxon easily in Captain marvel 2 though, or anything earth/human centered.

“Breeding monsters.” Kind of like what Roxxon is currently doing In the pages of The Immortal Hulk? 
And not sure how Roxxon would easily fit with Captain Marvel 2. My point is, rather than OsCorp as one of Earth’s big bads In Phase Four and going forward, maybe it’s Roxxon. Maybe that’s the new HYDRA, so to speak.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

AMERICA CHAVEZ MAY KICK OPEN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS IN DOCTOR STRANGE 2: EXCLUSIVE

america-chavez-and-doctor-strange.jpg?re

America Chavez was created in 2011 by Jow Casey and Nick Dragotta as a new incarnation of the Miss America character. Chavez really came to prominence as a member of the 2013 Young Avengers series by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. She’s a brash and confident brawler with a soft side, but she only opens up when she’s with her closest friends. She’s also an openly gay young woman, which would be a major step forward towards representation in the MCU to feature her in a lead role.

She also hails from an alternate reality to the core Marvel Universe. America was raised in the Utopian Parallel, an idyllic dimension that was disconnected from other realities. When she was a child, her mothers were forced to sacrifice their lives to seal a pair of black holes that were threatening the dimension.

Later in life, America was able to master the powers she received due to her proximity to ambient magical forces growing up. This includes flight, superhuman strength and speed, near invulnerability, and most notable of all the ability to create star portals. Using her incredible strength, America can actually break open star-shaped portals that allow her and others to travel across space, time, and even the entire multiverse.

That last detail is what makes the casting news from Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness so likely. While there are plenty of hints towards other exciting specific characters that could appear (and that The Illuminerdi will cover in due time), the most surprising is the casting call for a teenage Hispanic female who will be a supporting lead in the film.

There are few major Marvel characters who fit that exact bill, with America Chavez being the most prominent of them. Her power-set would also be the perfect backdoor for Doctor Strange to find a new (and potentially dangerous) way to transverse the multiverse in the first place. Part of the film could even be Doctor Strange trying to assist her with her powers and ending up spiraling through the multiverse as a result. But more than just teaming up with Doctor Strange, Chavez could be a major character going forward for the MCU.

Coupled with the earlier news that Hulkling will also be making his MCU debut soon in WandaVision, it looks increasingly like Marvel is heading towards a Young Avengers team. Teddy’s eventual boyfriend Billy is also expected to appear in that series, along with his brother Tommy. The children of the Scarlet Witch both become heroes in their own right – Billy as the magical Wiccan and Tommy as the super-fast Speed.

How does "Multiverse of Madness" make sense as a title?  To use a qualifier ("of Madness") implies there is another of that thing (Multiverse) that is "of" something else.

Planet of Peril, Planet of Vampires, Planet of the Apes.  But there is only one Multiverse.  It is either mad, or it isn't.

Edited by Heronext

On 1/24/2020 at 6:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

This feels forced. The character it appears, was only developed in 2011.  I'm starting to get worried that Disney may ruin the MCU with too many "C "and "D" level characters at the cost of not using older and more popular characters. Yes it worked of GOTG which are awesome but I think they should save new characters (Hulkling is another) for cartoons and what not.  I'm not really a fan of any "Young "fill in the blank"" comics either.  Young worked for Spider-Man and that's one of the many things that made him special.  I hope am wrong but I am pretty sure I will not spend $15-20 to see a solo Miss America MCU movie. 

Edited by Xenosmilus

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

This feels forced. The character it appears, was only developed in 2011.  I'm starting to get worried that Disney may ruin the MCU with too many "C "and "D" level characters at the cost of not using older and more popular characters. Yes it worked of GOT which are awesome but I think they should save new characters (Hulkling is another) for cartoons and what not.  I'm not really a fan of any "Young "fill in the blank"" comics either.  Young worked for Spider-Man and that's one of the many things that made him special.  I hope am wrong but I am pretty sure I will not spend $15-20 to see a solo Miss America MCU movie. 

Older and more popular characters? You mean like Hulk or Thor? Ant-Man? Marvel has already used up most of their older and more popular A and B level characters already. Outside of Fantastic Four and X-Men there’s hardly anybody left. 

America’s whole thing is that she lives in an alternate universe. If this movie has Multiverse in the title, this could be as good a place as any for the character to pop up. There was early word the filmmakers were throwing in Marvel Zombies, too. Is that forced? There’s also word that these “young” characters, like Kate Bishop, Hulkling, etc.) are popping up all over Phase Four to become part of a Young Avengers Disney+ series.

I think it’s okay to introduce some of these new “unknown“ Marvel characters here and there. The Fantastic Four and the X-Men will be in the movies eventually when they’re ready. I’m sure Marvel doesn’t want their intro to feel too forced. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Older and more popular characters? You mean like Hulk or Thor? Ant-Man? Marvel has already used up most of their older and more popular A and B level characters already. Outside of Fantastic Four and X-Men there’s hardly anybody left. 

America’s whole thing is that she lives in an alternate universe. If this movie has Multiverse in the title, this could be as good a place as any for the character to pop up. There was early word the filmmakers were throwing in Marvel Zombies, too. Is that forced? There’s also word that these “young” characters, like Kate Bishop, Hulkling, etc.) are popping up all over Phase Four to become part of a Young Avengers Disney+ series.

I think it’s okay to introduce some of these new “unknown“ Marvel characters here and there. The Fantastic Four and the X-Men will be in the movies eventually when they’re ready. I’m sure Marvel doesn’t want their intro to feel too forced. 

In my opinion, yes.