Doctor Strange 2 announced.
6 6

887 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Older and more popular characters? You mean like Hulk or Thor? Ant-Man? Marvel has already used up most of their older and more popular A and B level characters already. Outside of Fantastic Four and X-Men there’s hardly anybody left. 

America’s whole thing is that she lives in an alternate universe. If this movie has Multiverse in the title, this could be as good a place as any for the character to pop up. There was early word the filmmakers were throwing in Marvel Zombies, too. Is that forced? There’s also word that these “young” characters, like Kate Bishop, Hulkling, etc.) are popping up all over Phase Four to become part of a Young Avengers Disney+ series.

I think it’s okay to introduce some of these new “unknown“ Marvel characters here and there. The Fantastic Four and the X-Men will be in the movies eventually when they’re ready. I’m sure Marvel doesn’t want their intro to feel too forced. 

emotion03.gif.4d95811f03ef4d0a0b8c75c2a56a07d3.gif

Lighten up, Francis. The MCU doesn't require anyone to be its greatest defender. It does just fine on its own when things come together.

I think what is occurring is part of the disconnect between the MCU and Scott Derrickson. He kept posting images from the 1970's Doctor Strange run which are some fantastic stories. Yet the rumors are around newer characters. Long-time Marvel Comics fans may be slightly disappointed with some of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Please, for the love of...no freaking zombies though.

I don't know how to make those dynamic gifs but please someone make one from last weeks Curb Your Enthusiasm's scene when Larry broke the selfie stick.  It's hilarious :roflmao:.

curb-your-enthusiasm-selfie-stick.jpg

Edited by Xenosmilus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

emotion03.gif.4d95811f03ef4d0a0b8c75c2a56a07d3.gif

Lighten up, Francis. The MCU doesn't require anyone to be its greatest defender. It does just fine on its own when things come together.

I think what is occurring is part of the disconnect between the MCU and Scott Derrickson. He kept posting images from the 1970's Doctor Strange run which are some fantastic stories. Yet the rumors are around newer characters. Long-time Marvel Comics fans may be slightly disappointed with some of this.

So Scott Derrickson apparently wanted Dr Strange 2 to be a straight-up horror show (like some of the 70’s comics?) and Kevin Feige only wanted elements of it. But horror was the trend in all comics in the early 70’s. Is that by necessity what even partly defines Strange’s adventures? I always saw him as more a master of the mystic, not the macabre.

Perhaps Feige, who sees the bigger picture, knows films like Blade, the Moon Knight series, maybe even Sony projects like Morbius, have got the horror angle covered for Marvel?  Maybe Feige, knowing that Strange will be a cornerstone hero of Phase Five and beyond, wants his film to have a more noble and bigger purpose in the MCU?

i thought the horror angle was interesting but I also didn’t really like Dr Strange as a movie character until Infinity War. He seemed to grow up a little. Maybe the sequel should, too, and not sure if a horror movie is a path towards growing up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Heronext said:

How does "Multiverse of Madness" make sense as a title?  To use a qualifier ("of Madness") implies there is another of that thing (Multiverse) that is "of" something else.

Planet of Peril, Planet of Vampires, Planet of the Apes.  But there is only one Multiverse.  It is either mad, or it isn't.

The Multiverse is an infinite number of universes some of which may be mad, whatever that means.  Or all of which.  So it's an infinite number of mad universes, or it's an infinite number of universes and the film somehow focuses on the "mad" versions of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would think Marvel Zombies will show up when they are traversing the multiverse, we'll get a quick look at the zombies and Doc will say "nope, let's keep moving" and away we go. Same with Marvel Apes probably.

Edited by Bird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So Scott Derrickson apparently wanted Dr Strange 2 to be a straight-up horror show (like some of the 70’s comics?) and Kevin Feige only wanted elements of it. But horror was the trend in all comics in the early 70’s. Is that by necessity what even partly defines Strange’s adventures? I always saw him as more a master of the mystic, not the macabre.

Perhaps Feige, who sees the bigger picture, knows films like Blade, the Moon Knight series, maybe even Sony projects like Morbius, have got the horror angle covered for Marvel?  Maybe Feige, knowing that Strange will be a cornerstone hero of Phase Five and beyond, wants his film to have a more noble and bigger purpose in the MCU?

i thought the horror angle was interesting but I also didn’t really like Dr Strange as a movie character until Infinity War. He seemed to grow up a little. Maybe the sequel should, too, and not sure if a horror movie is a path towards growing up.

I think at times you overly read into these things when you are in 'MCU defense mode'. Scott Derrickson never stated 'STRAIGHT-UP HORROR SHOW'. That's your over-drama read of the situation. Like anyone that doesn't worship Brie Larson is a sexist.

‘Doctor Strange’ Sequel Billed as First MCU Horror Film at Comic-Con

Quote

Director Scott Derrickson said the film, titled “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” will mine the original comics and play up “the gothic, the horror.” Derrickson said it will lead Benedict Cumberbatch to dark and damaging places, though he will have company in Elizabeth Olsen, who will reprise her role as Scarlet Witch.

 

The events of her Disney Plus series “Wandavision” will lead her to Doctor Strange’s doorstep, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said.

Then there was a SDCC announcement.

"What excites me about Doctor Strange is what made him great in the comics. That he doesn't fight villains from this Earth or even from this universe...how they dipped into the gothic and the horror and the horrific. So we are going to make the first scary MCU film!"

For anyone that read the Doctor Strange series since the 70's, they would recognize Scott Derrickson is right. That's what made the character stand out. Is that a horrible thing? The character 'growing up' occurred due to his direct experiences dealing with other-worldly challenges. What growing up stories with Doctor Strange did you read?

Taking it to a drama level and personal that Feige needed to find a better director anyway, that Derrickson was going to ruin things with a 'STRAIGHT-UP HORROR SHOW' and dismissing the origins and greatness of the Doctor Strange stories from the source material dismisses a lot like a cult of personalities whatever Feige does must be right. He's Kevin Feige!

There are things from Marvel Comics that could influence these films and TV shows going forward that are PG-13 or R-Rated. But just because something may have gothic influences or horror doesn't mean R-rated in itself.

Edited by Bosco685
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scott Derrickson on growing the comic book genre as the franchise moves along, and the great villains and influences from the Doctor Strange source material. Also, how he referenced the Steve Ditko designs.

Give me a director like that any time that digs into the details of the material he is transitioning to a live film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BROTHER VOODOO BRINGS HIS MAGICAL TOUCH TO THE MULTIVERSE IN DOCTOR STRANGE 2: EXCLUSIVE

Brother-Voodoo-1.jpg?resize=1024,533&ssl

Quote

After breaking the news that America Chavez is likely coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, The Illuminerdi has more information to share on the upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. It looks like the MCU is about to get another powerful sorcerer, as Brother Voodoo will also be making his MCU debut in the film.

 

Based on a concept by Stan Lee and Roy Thomas, Brother Voodoo was created by Len Wein and John Romita Sr in 1973. After spending a great deal of time learning to become a psychologist in the United States, Jericho Drumm returns to his native Haiti to find his brother on death’s door. He’s revealed to be a Houngan, a voodoo priest who has been struck down by a disciple of the serpent god Damballah. Jericho ends up studying under Daniel’s former teacher Papa Jambo and proves to be a gifted voodoo sorcerer in his own right.

 

Taking up the name Brother Voodoo, Jericho worked with the spirit of his departed brother Daniel to defeat the man who’d killed Daniel. Brother Voodoo quickly became an established superhero, assisting characters like Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Doctor Strange. Brother Voodoo even briefly held the title of Sorcerer Supreme for a period of time when Doctor Strange abdicated the position, although he was seemingly killed shortly after. He was restored during the events of the AXIS event however and has resumed his role as one of the dedicated magical heroes of Earth.

 

While he’s not specifically named in the casting call, there are plenty of hints in the character description towards his identity. He’s described as a supporting male lead who is of Caribbean descent, and Haiti is specifically mentioned as a nation tied to the character. It’s also been noted that the character shouldn’t necessarily feel American, although the role is still potentially open to African-American actors.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine the film will be about Strange's personal growth similar to the 1st one. We see how perception & conception can change in DS1, now I expect the madness of infinite possibility to weigh on his overwhelming sense of responsibility, as the new challenge he overcomes (we get a glimpse of this in Infinity War).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Jeez. Just keep over-cramming these films with characters, why don't'cha?

No wonder Derrickson left.

Well Clea is another inter-dimensional/multiverse being, not to mention a cornerstone Dr Strange character, so her intro makes sense.  I have a feeling that a lot of major MCU movie sequels like this are going to be these mini-team up movies similar to Captain America sequels and Ragnarok. They seem to do well for box office and I like that approach myself. Even Black Widow appears to be a mini-team up movie featuring a host of Russian Marvel characters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well Clea is another inter-dimensional/multiverse being, not to mention a cornerstone Dr Strange character, so her intro makes sense.  I have a feeling that a lot of major MCU movie sequels like this are going to be these mini-team up movies similar to Captain America sequels and Ragnarok. They seem to do well for box office and I like that approach myself. Even Black Widow appears to be a mini-team up movie featuring a host of Russian Marvel characters.

Okay, I'll calm my teets.

However, Doctor Strange already has the Witch and Wong, and presumably returning characters like Mordo and Dormammu.

If she's simply kinda introduced, that'll be keen. These things are just blowing up, though. I kinda hate it. Civil War kinda sucked, too. Not a 'good' point of reference for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6