• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

back to the marvel "variant" issue

3 posts in this topic

putting aside 30/35 cent variants

i know there has been a lot of back and forth about marvel whitmans and all that, which hurt my brain and such

anyway, i have a copy of ASM 187 that doesn't have the usual "still only 35 cents" starburst logo, it has the starburst with a square price thingy inside and an empty UPC code.

based on what's up on ebay right now, it seems like these are 1 in 50 issues or so

not that i expect to make too many turkish lira on this, but are folks here going to accuse me of fraud if i call it a "variant"? i'll leave out the whitman part because there's no way to verify this.

I would call it a Rare Direct Edition. Its keeps you from getting any grief. Explain to them how it was an early attempt by Marvel to mark books selling directly to early comic book stores and such. Provide detail and you will get bids. I wouldnt call them Whitmans until OS recognizes them that way. BTW the oldest ones like that are pretty rare as I have never seen more then 5 of any title with a white UPC box and burst emblem behind price.

if this was, in fact, one sold to a comic shop, then it wouldn't have been a whitman, right?

anyway, seems a little different and probably easier than chasing down 35 cent variants, but not too easy.

How about a 70's pence DC? those come up much. i've never owned one until recently.