• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,712 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 8:16 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Had I had the money, I probably would have paid $1300 for this nostalgic character page.

Ah, the old what if...? eh.

Tell you what, that would make a good comic title wouldn't it. What you could do, is take existing characters and......

On 6/22/2022 at 3:31 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ah, the old what if...? eh.

Tell you what, that would make a good comic title wouldn't it. What you could do, is take existing characters and......

Never work, they'd try to put Spider-Man in the Fantastic Four, so some crazy stuff like that... :screwy:

Edited by Spider-Variant

Here's another two for one original art page.  From ASM 131, Doc Ock and Hammerhead throw down in an atomic power plant, while Spidey and Aunt May get out of dodge.

The word balloons aren't added here, which is different than the other original art pages in this issue.  Must have used paste-ons.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F3%2F0%2F6%2F26306679%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 6/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Interesting they had to extend the bottom panels.  

image.thumb.png.f7430206df23ea2c81363907e825ed96.png

They did a cracking job on extending the reflection lines, didn't they :cloud9:

Capture.PNG.24abdfaef81c9c92d4ae51e161e427c1.PNG

On 6/25/2022 at 4:18 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The word balloons aren't added here, which is different than the other original art pages in this issue.  Must have used paste-ons.

Presumably because they would have been resized on the finished full pages when split, and would have ended up too big?

On 6/25/2022 at 9:15 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Presumably because they would have been resized on the finished full pages when split, and would have ended up too big?

Definitely about sizing, but I was too lazy to look up comic vs art board size to see which way it would go.

I always thought the last few issues of Ross Andru's run on Amazing Spider-Man were a little bit underwhelming.  The villains were not my favorites (and some downright silly, like Big Wheel).  I also thought the art wasn't quite as sharp as compared to say the first issues or even the mid-run issues like 161-162.

But here is a really nice original art page from Ross's and Mike's final issue (185) on ASM.  Not very elaborate backgrounds, but some good Spidey action.

Below that is my tracking of Ross Andru's original art on Amazing Spider-Man that I have a scan or image of (i.e. proof it's still in existence).  The numbers don't change much and stand at 33.4% of Ross's ASM original art pages still around.

The chart below that is the percent of original art from Ross ASM run by book page number.  With my last update, it looks like it is easier to find a page from the middle of the book than finding one at either end.  This gets me to wonder if this was a Penciller vs Inker returned art correlation thing.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F3%2F6%2F3%2F26363585%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

image.thumb.png.2e0e1f03dd35a3d894b0b6e933526529.png

image.thumb.png.3c43725ea0096117c8c1fe9d37a427c1.png

Here are two more comparisons from Issues 151 and 180 that I found after posting above.

These make me ask a couple of questions

1) How did Ross get access to this area?  He surely took some very detailed pictures and at angles that can't be obtained from afar.

2)  Why did Ross put so much energy into making his art so real to life?  He wasn't getting paid for detail and would have been on a tight schedule.  The man most definitely loved his craft.

image.thumb.png.c5ac2f4a9112377c2809f55a04477a18.png

image.thumb.png.8c46529f963f357e11d61baf4688a056.png

On 7/16/2022 at 5:35 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @cosmic-spider-man, nice to have you over here Terry!  

+1

Always nice to see a new face here :)

I don't think the tag worked Reggie @cosmic-spider-man

On 7/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

+1

Always nice to see a new face here :)

I don't think the tag worked Reggie @cosmic-spider-man

Thanks for the catch Steve.

Terry is a great collector.  First person that I know of to have a complete run of the 35 cent variants.  

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 7/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @cosmic-spider-man, nice to have you over here Terry!  

Hey Reggie, This is my favorite thread on the boards I check it out often.  ASM #151 was the first issue I ever bought and it is so cool to know Ross Andru's Art was based on real places, love the photos of the Incinerator.  (thumbsu