• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2022 at 7:58 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Oh, I worked on a project in Great Yarmouth a couple of years back.  Never got to go there though.  hm

The USA one, I take it? :)

Here's a panel from the original art from Marvel Super-Heroes 14.  Pencils by Ross Andru and inks by Bill Everett.

I have never been a fan of the art in this book, but understood Ross hadn't hit his stride yet.  But it looks a lot better in black and white, I will admit.

I love reading the pacing notes in the margins of the art, the top margin reads 'Harry walks girls "Out" on his way to pick up'...

I'm sure it would finish Prescription.

Also in the left margin it reads "Fix Girls"  Hmmm, wonder what was changed.

This is the only time (hmm would need to check the first 11 issues of MTU to be sure of that statement) Ross drew the real Gwen Stacy, not that fake clone, lol.

image.png.2ac0d52bac97ac171411bc3c5385d58c.png

On 9/10/2022 at 2:04 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's a panel from the original art from Marvel Super-Heroes 14.  Pencils by Ross Andru and inks by Bill Everett.

I have never been a fan of the art in this book, but understood Ross hadn't hit his stride yet.  But it looks a lot better in black and white, I will admit.

I love reading the pacing notes in the margins of the art, the top margin reads 'Harry walks girls "Out" on his way to pick up'...

I'm sure it would finish Prescription.

Also in the left margin it reads "Fix Girls"  Hmmm, wonder what was changed.

This is the only time (hmm would need to check the first 11 issues of MTU to be sure of that statement) Ross drew the real Gwen Stacy, not that fake clone, lol.

image.png.2ac0d52bac97ac171411bc3c5385d58c.png

It's so un-Andru like, isn't it Reggie, and I must confess to not liking it, inked or otherwise. As for what needed fixing, my money's on Gwen's oddly separated knockers. 

On 9/10/2022 at 11:55 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's so un-Andru like, isn't it Reggie, and I must confess to not liking it, inked or otherwise. As for what needed fixing, my money's on Gwen's oddly separated knockers. 

Yes, that and the hips, waist, and upper body kind of don't match on ole Gwen.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:12 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Yes, that and the hips, waist, and upper body kind of don't match on ole Gwen.

And the bandless, fringeless hair. And the vaguely oriental look. And the general appearance of swagger. 

On 8/29/2022 at 12:55 AM, Spider-Variant said:

It actually probably is.  Love the Tarantula and loved the art in this issue.  Issue 136 is pretty good too.  Both covers are great.

130-140 is a great run to read I agree‼️👍

On 9/28/2022 at 3:00 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Not Andru, but Gil Kane filling in for Ross in Amazing Spider-Man 150.  Not the best Spidey story ever, but fondly remembered by myself, as my brother and I grabbed two copies of this issue, knowing it would be a collector's item, lol.

Love the little pacing notes that Gil (and many other artists) wrote in the margins of the artboard.

The first one reads "Spider-Man Starts to Zap Smythe"  

The third panel margin note reads "Smythe Web Gets Spidey".

RAD7F0722022922_153917.jpg

...great...panel....love it....when...they....use a series of....full stops....between....the...words....to.....indicate......they're....struggling.... :cloud9:

On 9/28/2022 at 10:04 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

...great...panel....love it....when...they....use a series of....full stops....between....the...words....to.....indicate......they're....struggling.... :cloud9:

W-What--?!          because I really need to exclaim my question.  :peace:

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 9/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, Lee B. said:

Hi Reggie and all!  I wanted to share another vintage photocopy of a partially inked ASM Ross Andru page, this time from ASM #129.  Cheers, Lee

ASM129_PartiallyInkedPhotocopies.jpg

OH man, is that nice.  Thanks @Lee B. for sharing.  Is this a Xerox from Dave Hunt? 

So Awesome.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:29 PM, Lee B. said:

Yes, this photocopy is from Dave Hunt's estate.  This stapled bunch includes photocopies of every page from ASM #129.  Pretty cool!

Oh snap, would love to see more Lee. :whatthe:

Really appreciate your inputs to our little Ross Andru thread. :banana:

I had sent this batch of Heritage for one of their auctions, but Heritage decided to pass on it because perceived challenges in describing this kind of item.  When I get it back, I will take some more photos or make some more scans while I try to find a better place to try to sell these on behalf of the Dave Hunt estate.  

On 9/30/2022 at 10:18 AM, Lee B. said:

I had sent this batch of Heritage for one of their auctions, but Heritage decided to pass on it because perceived challenges in describing this kind of item.  When I get it back, I will take some more photos or make some more scans while I try to find a better place to try to sell these on behalf of the Dave Hunt estate.  

Thanks Lee for updating that.  I do hope these find a great home my friend.

Ok to share the Splash on other forums?