• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,691 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The first time I really noticed was when Ross left after issue 185.  Issue 186 was just so different and unappealing to me.  I sometimes say that it was the end of my Bronze Age.   Ross's departure from Amazing Spider-Man really resonated with me as a twelve year old.

Spot on Reggie. I think Buscema was the first time I really noticed different art styles as a kid (in the UK weeklies) but the end of the Andru run was more or less the end of Spidey, for me. Some good followed of course, but those first 185 issues are Spidey, and always will be. 

On 10/29/2022 at 8:01 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Spot on Reggie. I think Buscema was the first time I really noticed different art styles as a kid (in the UK weeklies) but the end of the Andru run was more or less the end of Spidey, for me. Some good followed of course, but those first 185 issues are Spidey, and always will be. 

Funny, with my collection long sold, I only have reprints of the stories now.  Typically, my reprints stop at Amazing Spider-Man 185.

Hi Reggie and all!  A few weeks ago I shared an image of a vintage photocopy of the partially inked page-one splash art to Amazing Spider-Man #129.  This image was part of a full set of vintage photocopies of the complete interior art to ASM #129 from the Dave Hunt estate.  When he started out at Marvel in the early 1970s, Dave sat in the Marvel Bullpen next to Frank Giacoia.  Dave and Frank would work on issues of ASM together, with Dave inking the backgrounds and Frank inking the main characters.  I assume that Dave made and kept photocopies of his inks on the partially inked pages to document his contributions to the finished art.  Dave's estate has decided to auction this set of vintage photocopies at ComicLink:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022nov%26itemtype%3D1%26x%3D31%26y%3D14%26pg%3D3%23Item_1640782&id=1640782&itemType=1

I'm sorry I was not able to scan more images before this went to ComicLink, but ComicLink has provided a few additional scans.  And any of you can now own it, with the auction proceeds going to Dave's family.  Please feel free to share the auction listing.  Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

On 11/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, Lee B. said:

Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

Cheers Lee - for thread posterity, here's what's up on CL:

ra1.thumb.PNG.0bb72149e8f31f311e3959dedb502ab4.PNG

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #129 COMPLETE 19 PAGE INTERIOR PENCIL MOCKUP

Primary Artist Name: MARVEL PRODUCTION ART

Secondary Artist Name:
Year: 1974
Dimensions: The art has an image area of approximately 10" X 15".
End Date: 12/7/2022 9:48:45 PM
ComicLink Comments:
From the estate of Dave Hunt, credited as colorist and an inker for this important key issue introducing The Punisher, comes this unique production mockup of the complete interior pencils and lettering to Amazing Spider-Man #129. It reproduces onto oversized smooth copy paper Ross Andru's pencils and lettering that fits the 10" X 15" dimensions of the artwork. It was not a normal practice to make such copies at this stage but since Hunt was not the only inker, it's possible he was sent copies of the pages he wasn't inking so he could see what they looked like. A few years would pass before this story was seen as anything significant, so it's interesting that this specific mockup exists. Hunt, who passed away in 2017, worked for Marvel as an inker and colorist starting in 1972 until he moved over to DC starting in 1978.

For decades now, Amazing Spider-Man #129 has been one of the most coveted and valuable comic books published in the 1970s. Pristine examples graded 9.8 by CGC now sell for over $30,000 and the original story artwork would be well into the seven figures. The Punisher really took off as a character in the early 1980s and by the late 80s was appearing in multiple titles of his own as well as numerous crossover appearances. The Punisher has been featured in three live-action movies and in two seasons of his acclaimed self-titled streaming series on Netflix. The Punisher is expected to return as part of the mainstream Marvel Cinematic Universe, which means his biggest days are likely still ahead.

ra2.thumb.jpg.87210e04389cd77aafcc207a71b514b6.jpg  

ra3.thumb.jpg.567c1352b1d1d10a26a372538acf7fad.jpg

ra4.thumb.jpg.dc30f36079f18cfaa7e10f9f2933337d.jpg

ra5.thumb.jpg.321a54e40ba052b9cb5a5eae0e45ffd7.jpg

ra6.thumb.jpg.2e50a6a2215a7fa2201bbb84080de408.jpg

On 11/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, Lee B. said:

Hi Reggie and all!  A few weeks ago I shared an image of a vintage photocopy of the partially inked page-one splash art to Amazing Spider-Man #129.  This image was part of a full set of vintage photocopies of the complete interior art to ASM #129 from the Dave Hunt estate.  When he started out at Marvel in the early 1970s, Dave sat in the Marvel Bullpen next to Frank Giacoia.  Dave and Frank would work on issues of ASM together, with Dave inking the backgrounds and Frank inking the main characters.  I assume that Dave made and kept photocopies of his inks on the partially inked pages to document his contributions to the finished art.  Dave's estate has decided to auction this set of vintage photocopies at ComicLink:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022nov%26itemtype%3D1%26x%3D31%26y%3D14%26pg%3D3%23Item_1640782&id=1640782&itemType=1

I'm sorry I was not able to scan more images before this went to ComicLink, but ComicLink has provided a few additional scans.  And any of you can now own it, with the auction proceeds going to Dave's family.  Please feel free to share the auction listing.  Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

@Lee B., too funny, I just found this today on comiclink and was going to post about it. 

I always thought Dave brought so much to Amazing Spider-Man. 

I hope this goes for a billion dollars (although my salary would not be able to pay anywhere near its worth).

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of our little thread.  Just an incredible find.

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 11/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's superb, isn't it :cloud9:

103578153_ra4(2).thumb.jpg.46e399968545386c2e516086c1dc0c22.jpg

It is truly a gem.  I was literally going to come over here and post that exact same image Steve, that's how inspired I was with it (and bored at work, if I am honest).

Notice how Frank Giacoia reduced the number of rows of webbing on Spidey's mask from 4 down to 3.  I think I like Ross's original better.

Oh, does anyone think Punisher looked good with blue boots?   It's a big no from me.

image.thumb.png.7d364158a6de2de15b3f9d7abf09689e.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 11/22/2022 at 7:02 PM, Spider-Variant said:

It is truly a gem.  I was literally going to come over here and post that exact same image Steve, that's how inspired I was with it (and bored at work, if I am honest).

Notice how Frank Giacoia reduced the number of rows of webbing on Spidey's mask from 4 down to 3.  I think I like Ross's original better.

Oh, does anyone think Punisher looked good with blue boots?   It's a big no from me.

Ah nice the color to compare. :)

He's got dimensional perspective too, but I like the sequential most of all!

It doesn't hurt that it's the Punisher lol

On 11/23/2022 at 1:02 AM, Spider-Variant said:

You can imagine the discussion at the tailors, can't you.

"Yes, you heard me. A big skull mask on the chest and everything else is blue. Yes, including the boots"

Suddenly, he doesn't seem as Punishing. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Show off :grin:

As I always note, I was fortunate to be able to purchase these CGC graded copies when I did because if I had waited some would have become too expensive.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:51 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

As I always note, I was fortunate to be able to purchase these CGC graded copies when I did because if I had waited some would have become too expensive.

Indeed. I had a CGC 9.4 run of ASM #100-200 at one point. I picked the cheaper ones off first when I should have got the big guns first. That cost me in the long run. Anyway, all gone now, so it doesn't really matter. 

I always loved this issue and how the creator credits are etched into the wall on the splash page :cloud9:

138782592_AmazingSpider-Man141MJI.thumb.jpg.9a2baaa32acfb9e48d676f28e668eda7.jpg thumbnail.jpg.0a0939a1ca12d3abb7a67fac879139b2.jpg

Thwipp!