• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I could look it up but what was first appearance spider mobile ( no fair looking it up😜😜😉)

Well, if my memory doesn't betray me, the idea was pitched to Spider-Man in ASM 126, where he and the Human Torch jumped right on it.  We see some of the frame in issue 127 as Peter and Johnny Storm put in the hours to build it.  

Then, the full first appearance would be ASM 130.  Spidey drove it off Pier A in issue 141 and we see it on the bottom of the Hudson in issue 142.  We don't see it in ASM 157, when Spidey goes diving for it.  And finally, it returns in ASM 160, with an assist by the Tinkerer (funded by the Kingpin).  Spidey delivers it to Corona Motors at the end of the issue.

I didn't peek once @FoggyNelson.  I have though been looking at these issues recently, I will admit.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:31 AM, Spider-Variant said:
On 12/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, FoggyNelson said:

I could look it up but what was first appearance spider mobile ( no fair looking it up😜😜😉)

Well, if my memory doesn't betray me, the idea was pitched to Spider-Man in ASM 126, where he and the Human Torch jumped right on it.  We see some of the frame in issue 127 as Peter and Johnny Storm put in the hours to build it.  

Then, the full first appearance would be ASM 130.  Spidey drove it off Pier A in issue 141 and we see it on the bottom of the Hudson in issue 142.  We don't see it in ASM 157, when Spidey goes diving for

Amazing spider man 25 I thought

On 12/18/2021 at 10:31 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Then, the full first appearance would be ASM 130.  Spidey drove it off Pier A in issue 141 and we see it on the bottom of the Hudson in issue 142.  We don't see it in ASM 157, when Spidey goes diving for it.  And finally, it returns in ASM 160, with an assist by the Tinkerer (funded by the Kingpin).  Spidey delivers it to Corona Motors at the end of the issue.

I didn't peek once @FoggyNelson.  I have though been looking at these issues recently, I will admit.

Ah yes I was mistaken

I was thinking spider Slayer for some odd reason.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Amazing spider man 25 I thought

Spiderman plans start in 126 and first full in #130 right on the button. Good memory. @FoggyNelson

On 12/18/2021 at 2:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah yes I was mistaken

I was thinking spider Slayer for some odd reason.

Spiderman plans start in 126 and first full in #130 right on the button. Good memory. @FoggyNelson

I did like the way the spider slayer came back better and improved over the years.  It seemed like a natural progression to me.  Loved ASM 107 with Romita art.

Here's another look at Harry Osborn's and the Lovely Liz Allen's stroll on Mott Street in NYC Chinatown. This from Amazing Spider-Man 171 with pencils by Ross Andru and inks by Mike Esposito. This issue was on stands in May 1977.

The first comparison is new but the others I had shared before. I'm looking for the real life reference Ross used for the panel before this one and I found this nice overview photo.

The Quon Luck restaurant, as I had posted before, also appeared in an issue of the Punisher War Zone. The On Leong Tong Building appeared in ASM 184, Ross's penultimate issue on ASM.

I love all the small detail Ross puts in, like the small arrow at the bottom of the Quon Luck restaurant sign and the white arc on the Golden Dragon restaurant canopy. Ross even put that circle shape at the top of the building on 83 Mott Street.

I've pretty much exhausted my search for real life references used by Ross, but when I find something interesting to me, I post it, with a little of the previously shared backgrounds. 

image.thumb.png.6074feaa921a4243325f760f0ed9af16.png

image.thumb.png.3c3230999ad530e08027e733acd27eba.png

image.thumb.png.917c11c4e4ab6f39bb197d61ba23c9f0.png

On 12/28/2021 at 12:25 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Ok, don't want to go into any details (go over to the thread in Comics General if you do :gossip: ), but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't state I saw the Spider-Man movie No Way Home and I thought it was brilliant.

Nuff Said! :headbang:

Heard it was fabulous 👍‼️😷

Here's another Xerox of Dave Hunt's background inks over Ross Andru's pencils on the Amazing Spider-Man 134.  Dave did background inks on the Amazing Spider-Man from issues 127 to 170, and IMHO brought a lot to the book.

This page looks like it is about 80% backgrounds, so Dave gets to really show his skills.  He puts in some of his signature features as well, like the "Backgrounds by Hunt" and his son's name on the boat.

Ross does a great job of story telling here visually and I love the way Peter is in motion from the first panel to the last.  I like the expressions of the gang encouraging him to hustle in that last panel especially.

I don't have a picture of the original art page but have added a copy of the finished comic page for comparison.

ASM134_2_HuntBackgroundInks.jpg

May be a cartoon of 1 person

Hey @Get Marwood & I, you buy the first titantic issue of Spider-Lover?  Check out that Xerox, second panel.  They even got it wrong on the published page, as Super-Giant Spider-Man was reduced from 100 pages to 60 pages and published as Giant-Size Spider-Man #1.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here's another Xerox of Dave Hunt's background inks over Ross Andru's pencils on the Amazing Spider-Man 134.  Dave did background inks on the Amazing Spider-Man from issues 127 to 170, and IMHO brought a lot to the book.

This page looks like it is about 80% backgrounds, so Dave gets to really show his skills.  He puts in some of his signature features as well, like the "Backgrounds by Hunt" and his son's name on the boat.

Ross does a great job of story telling here visually and I love the way Peter is in motion from the first panel to the last.  I like the expressions of the gang encouraging him to hustle in that last panel especially.

I don't have a picture of the original art page but have added a copy of the finished comic page for comparison.

ASM134_2_HuntBackgroundInks.jpg

May be a cartoon of 1 person

That is a well done page👍‼️😷

On 7/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, 1webslinger said:

Hey @1webslinger how did you like this book?  I love mine.