• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,723 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, 1webslinger said:

I like it a lot, I almost spent more on a copy off eBay and when I saw the SDCC sale i jumped on it. For a minute after I purchased it I thought I might have purchased a soft cover book since it was so cheap, but it was a hardcover.

Yes, I really like the format of the book, I even love the box it comes in.  I knew that the original art from ASM 165 was owned by a single person and I was pretty sure ASM 153 was the same way.  Wonder if there are any more complete ASM stories owned by a single owner? I bet ASM 149 is, as I have never seen an original art  page from that book.

Not Ross Andru, but from the much beloved (by me anyway) 1978 Amazing Spider-Man Mighty Marvel Comics Calendar.

Paul Gulacy and Pablo Marcos "March" Illustration Original Art.

Not a fan of the Jackal here and Dr. Octopus looks way too athletic, but everything else works for me.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F3%2F25223582%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 1/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Not Ross Andru, but from the much beloved (by me anyway) 1978 Amazing Spider-Man Mighty Marvel Comics Calendar.

Paul Gulacy and Pablo Marcos "March" Illustration Original Art.

Not a fan of the Jackal here and Dr. Octopus looks way too athletic, but everything else works for me.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F3%2F25223582%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

That is the slimmest I ever saw the Kingpin , he must have had barriatric surgery😜🤣😷

My my count, we need about 12 more posts in this thread to get it above 2000.  That's not too shabby for a thread dedicated exclusive to one artist on a five year run of a comic series.  Now had @Get Marwood & I left it only to the five issues of ASM that it started out, I think it would not have lasted quite so long.

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 1/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, Spider-Variant said:

That's top ten by "Replies" in the Bronze Age Forum and it's the youngest thread of those ten as well.

:banana:

Show's you how good he was, dunnit Reggie :headbang:

Scan.thumb.jpg.26d5743dfa94620a9ff589a748fcb668.jpg

Here is one of the last few Xeroxes that I have an image from the Late Dave Hunt, who inked the backgrounds on the Amazing Spider-Man from issue 127 to 170. This is another from issue 134, where I have always said that Dave was the unsung hero on this issue.

In this panel, not a lot of Dave's work over Andru's pencils, but some good detail on the George Washington Bridge. Frank Giacoia would do the inking on the main characters after Dave had finished the background inks. I have included the original art page for comparison. If you look at that second panel on the Xerox, there was a person pointing behind Flash Thompson, but it looks like Frank inked him out of existence, lol. There are also some margin notes on the Xerox, but I can't make them out.

May be an illustration

May be a cartoon

On 1/17/2022 at 6:51 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Washington Bridge sighting👍‼️😷

This may be the only time Ross drew it.  He did draw the Queensboro bridge in issue 175 and the text called it the Brooklyn bridge.  Of course Gil Kane drew the Brooklyn bridge in ASM 121,  but the story referenced it as the GW bridge.  So, it all comes full circle, lol.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, Spider-Variant said:

This may be the only time Ross drew it.  He did draw the Queensboro bridge in issue 175 and the text called it the Brooklyn bridge.  Of course Gil Kane drew the Brooklyn bridge in ASM 121,  but the story referenced it as the GW bridge.  So, it all comes full circle, lol.

This one in ASM 121?

DC2A8645-C005-4810-B868-7E6B39603246.jpeg

On 1/17/2022 at 3:44 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This one in ASM 121?

DC2A8645-C005-4810-B868-7E6B39603246.jpeg

That is the correct example.  That is the Brooklyn Bridge that Mr. Kane drew while Gerry's text reads The George Washington Bridge.  Here is the Queensboro Bridge, inadvertently named the Brooklyn Bridge in Issue 175 text.

Now if only some ASM artist drew the Queensboro bridge and called it the GW, we'd have the Trifecta    .:kidaround:

image.thumb.png.02a6d82ce29775aca5d5f375ca426014.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 1/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, Spider-Variant said:

That is the correct example.  That is the Brooklyn Bridge that Mr. Kane drew while Gerry's text reads The George Washington Bridge.  Here is the Queensboro Bridge, inadvertently named the Brooklyn Bridge in Issue 175 text.

Now if only some ASM artist drew the Queensboro bridge and called it the GW, we'd have the Trifecta    .:kidaround:

image.thumb.png.02a6d82ce29775aca5d5f375ca426014.png

I think in issue 130? Gerry refers to ASM 221, guess no proofing needed.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:53 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here is one of the last few Xeroxes that I have an image from the Late Dave Hunt, who inked the backgrounds on the Amazing Spider-Man from issue 127 to 170. This is another from issue 134, where I have always said that Dave was the unsung hero on this issue.

In this panel, not a lot of Dave's work over Andru's pencils, but some good detail on the George Washington Bridge. Frank Giacoia would do the inking on the main characters after Dave had finished the background inks. I have included the original art page for comparison. If you look at that second panel on the Xerox, there was a person pointing behind Flash Thompson, but it looks like Frank inked him out of existence, lol. There are also some margin notes on the Xerox, but I can't make them out.

May be an illustration

May be a cartoon

It should read, "Funny. That guy behind me was here a Minute ago." lol

image.png.4ac7293d8b652f1228af69467ba55858.png

@Spider-Variant When it comes to OA, does condition really matter, in this case 6.0? I always thought OA was OA, you get what you get, there is no waiting for a better copy.

In the video, the OA is so large, forgive me if I haven't seen one in person.

image.thumb.png.95c82ff3d9c39eba243ce60237b26aee.png

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW