• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

893 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2018 at 11:29 AM, I like pie said:

Mail call. Just got this one today.

20180724_102515.jpg

That is a really nice Todd McFarnewton cover you got there!! And for this reason I have not submitted to them. I would rather keep them bagged and boarded than in such an inferior appearing case. If a company cared about their product and customer service, these issues would have been resolved long ago. It would seem the concern is more about the money that could be lost in abandoning these crappy cases and eating their own mistakes. With as many complaints and concerns they had to have heard by now, including threads like this one which clearly indicate an overwhelming agreement that the majority of customers do not like these newton rings, one would think they would make a prudent effort to improve their product. pity. 

On 7/22/2018 at 10:08 AM, ExNihilo said:

Well, I guess I'm the outlier here...  :tonofbricks:

1. Is it acceptable?  Yes, in a way.  My primary purpose for slabbing is two fold, authentication (of sigs) and preservation.  The slab serves its purpose in that regard (or at least I hope it will in 30 years time).  Appearance is secondary to preservation as far as I'm concerned.  Is it normal?  No.  You wouldn't buy a picture frame that distorts the image you're attempting to showcase, so we shouldn't have slabs that have Newton Rings either.  But if I have to put up with some Newton Rings to ensure the long term preservation of my book, then I can live with that.  My books spend 99% of the time tucked away in a box anyways so its not like it affects me that much.

Well... if CGC can’t get the presentation aspect of their cases working right (which while unimportant to you is important to the vast majority of their customers) what makes you believe that their claims about the preservation  and tamper-resistance aspects of the new cases are true?

The newton rings and CGCs response thus far don’t exactly inspire confidence in the product  or company.  Who knows maybe in 10 years we find these cases are also damaging our books or something.

21 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Anything from Dena?

Not yet. I don't think she works weekends so lets give it a few more days Gaard :wishluck:

5 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Then we'll storm the castle?

I was thinking more along the lines of opening a small can of verbal whoopass I Like Pie. Or maybe just sulking for a while.

Usual drill :)

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Whoops

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

Well... if CGC can’t get the presentation aspect of their cases working right (which while unimportant to you is important to the vast majority of their customers) what makes you believe that their claims about the preservation  and tamper-resistance aspects of the new cases are true?

The newton rings and CGCs response thus far don’t exactly inspire confidence in the product  or company.  Who knows maybe in 10 years we find these cases are also damaging our books or something.

I think people misunderstood me (though re-reading what I wrote, I can understand where the confusion is).  I didn't say or mean to imply that appearances are unimportant.  I just merely meant that where I prioritize appearance as far as what is most important to me, the other two qualities (authentication of yellows, and preservation) rank higher.  It's like asking how I prioritize the Captain America movies.  I could say Civil War and Winter Soldier are the two best, but just because The First Avenger is ranked last doesn't mean I hate the movie.

That said, you're right about not knowing whether their current materials/methods will stand the test of time and that's why I said "or at least I hope it will in 30 years time".

I was just about to look at my slab collection today when the phone rang. It was my friend Isaac, the mathematician. I thought "Typical! Every time I look at my slabs Newton rings" :)

I'll get my coat.

Edited by Get Marwood & I
?

45 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I was just about to look at my slab collection today when the phone rang. It was my friend Isaac, the mathematician. I thought "Typical! Every time I look at my slabs Newton rings" :)

I'll get my coat.

THAT was a thinker, you stinker :foryou: 

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'll get my coat.

THAT was a thinker, you stinker :foryou: 

:whatthe:

Speaking of mathematicians, how does this work out...?  hm

79.PNG.a2d429d0665c647065404cccc9467fcb.PNG

(:

8 hours ago, Transplant said:

Why would you email Haspel?

For reasons which I'll share after we get a response. I do understand the point you are making though. 

On 7/22/2018 at 9:18 PM, Artboy99 said:
On 7/22/2018 at 1:08 PM, ExNihilo said:

Well, I guess I'm the outlier here...  :tonofbricks:

1. Is it acceptable?  Yes, in a way.  My primary purpose for slabbing is two fold, authentication (of sigs) and preservation.  The slab serves its purpose in that regard (or at least I hope it will in 30 years time).  Appearance is secondary to preservation as far as I'm concerned.  Is it normal?  No.  You wouldn't buy a picture frame that distorts the image you're attempting to showcase, so we shouldn't have slabs that have Newton Rings either.  But if I have to put up with some Newton Rings to ensure the long term preservation of my book, then I can live with that.  My books spend 99% of the time tucked away in a box anyways so its not like it affects me that much.

why bother submitting? Books in a mylar would serve the same purpose for you.

We submit our books to get a 3rd party to grade that is accepted by both sides in a transaction. To have the end product look fantastic is required in this instance as comic collecting is inherently visual. 

Exactly. Mylar, acid free board and (most importantly) ideal storage conditions. Somehow the idea has propagated over the years that slabbing is superior for long term preservation. 

Edited by Jerkfro

On 7/23/2018 at 7:33 AM, october said:
On 7/22/2018 at 9:18 PM, Artboy99 said:

why bother submitting? Books in a mylar would serve the same purpose for you.

I don't get the "preservation" aspect of grading either. Get some microchamber paper, some fullbacks, and some mylars. Same thing, but a lot cheaper, a lot less bulky, better clarity, and you can you still read the damn things.

I slab books for sales facilitation only. That requires clarity and good presentation, just like you said.

:applause: