• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shipping to canada --- just want to be sure i'm right

13 posts in this topic

I have 4 pounds of comics I'd like to ship to Canada from the U.S. This quantity would need to go in a box/package.

Putting aside customs and all that other nonsense,

The cheapest rate I see is $15.25 for 4-6 weeks (Economy parcel post) and $15.50 for 2 weeks (Airmail parcel post)

Clearly I'd go the $15.50 route

Are there other options? I see $8.80 for a 4-6 week letter post, but how on earth can 4 pounds of comics be sent as a letter? Anyway, I think I've tried this at my PO before with a hardcover book and they insisted it go parcel.

UPS seems to come in at around $13 with their cheapest service and says it will get it there quicker. (Strangely, Vancouver is only about 40 cents more than Toronto from NYC. Does that make any sense?)

Is UPS the way to go for a few pounds of comics?

Thanks.

UPS charges a Brokerage fee ( whatever that is ), to Canadians for parcels shipped from the U.S.

I had a $200 dollar item sent from the U.S. by UPS, they charged me a $45 dollar brokerage fee !! needless to say, i request NO UPS !

If the cheapest rate is $15.25 , then a typical ebay seller (definitely not all) would charge me $20 - $30 .

sign-rantpost.gif

UPS has a reputation for charging this rip-off fee. I used them once, and told them to send a bill to my business. Never paid it and told them to take a flying leap sideways when they asked for payment. I'm amazed they are still doing it.

Normal brokerage fees are about 1/4 what my broker charges me...so you guys do the math.

Hmmm --- I was just going to declare a $5 value, UPS didn't say anything about a brokerage fee. It's just a bunch of comics, could have easily been the result of a $5 comic lot auction.

I appalude you sir. There are too many U.S. do gooders who want to show full value and screw it up for us Canadians. The Ameicans ignore our lumber tarrifs so why don't they do the same with shipping out comics. Sons of 893censored-thumb.gifsumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gif Free trade my arse.

Hmmm --- I was just going to declare a $5 value, UPS didn't say anything about a brokerage fee. It's just a bunch of comics, could have easily been the result of a $5 comic lot auction.

I appalude you sir. There are too many U.S. do gooders who want to show full value and screw it up for us Canadians. The Ameicans ignore our lumber tarrifs so why don't they do the same with shipping out comics. Sons of 893censored-thumb.gifsumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gif Free trade my arse.

Don't blame me, fine sir. 893censored-thumb.gif UPS with their money grubbing whores. I would always want to declare full value because God forbid something happened to the book?

well yes, that's the catch 22 and the buyer would need to make a choice. these aren't expensive books though.

It would be somewhat dishonest to put a low value when it is actually worth a lot. When I buy something from the states, I just explain to the seller what the results of a high declared value would be, and suggest they dont put a high amount like the actual guide value... then I leave it up to the seller.

The last package I got the seller declared the value to be $15... they got through ok. acclaim.gif

$15 is the cut-off for the taxes I believe. What I can't remember is whether Canada adds postage costs into the taxable amount. Some countries do.

In the end I'll leave it to the buyer. This isn't a tax I would pay.