• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

423 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2022 at 7:43 PM, piper said:

Group shot before these books go to their new owner:

30A99252-1746-4C75-A73F-F5BFF3000D47.jpeg

Oh my - that's something to behold right there. My FF 214 looks so lonely on the shelf with none of the others to go with it.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Oh my - that's something to behold right there. My FF 214 looks so lonely on the shelf with none of the others to go with it.

It was hard to let them go but the fun was in the hunt! Check out the SA Hulk 1 thread to see what these helped fund.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:28 AM, piper said:

It was hard to let them go but the fun was in the hunt! Check out the SA Hulk 1 thread to see what these helped fund.

That is a gorgeous book. The color strike on that red against the blue is stunning. An aside to a detail of that cover people may not notice: the blue on the cover is referred to as "rich blue", where there is a mix of all CMYK colors to achieve the deep richness. (The yellow and black values add to the depth of the color) If you look at other copies where the magenta ink in the red may have faded a bit, it also fades in the blue background - which flattens the overall appearance of the cover. The copy you picked up is a beauty.

For me, Hulk #1 has remained one of the most impressive covers of the silver age from a production standpoint. The limitations of the technology at the time made for printing a cover like that risky, in the sense of that much ink saturation on the paper could have easily muddied it up, but the expertise of the colorist and the printer made it an amazing-looking book. Especially when comparing it to the less ink-saturated covers of the other big key issues of the day.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

For me, Hulk #1 has remained one of the most impressive covers of the silver age from a production standpoint. The limitations of the technology at the time made for printing a cover like that risky, in the sense of that much ink saturation on the paper could have easily muddied it up, but the expertise of the colorist and the printer made it an amazing-looking book. 

Really interesting thoughts! And from that production standpoint, I think I'd actually say the same about these Famous Funnies covers. The linework is so thin and delicate on e.g. the #211 and #215, and then you've got something like the #214 with that intricate gray zipatone effect on the planet. With the wrong printer running the job, I'd imagine this kind of detailed art can easily plug up on press or just generally fail to reproduce well. But these came out great!