• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

427 posts in this topic

I have been trying to get the set full set in 7.0 or better. Im only missing 214 from the run and I have 3 over 7.0. When I started going for the run I always though they were undervalued. I Wish I bought every one I saw now. I have a 5.5 213 now and by the look of that 8.0 sale I think Im going to have a 5.5 for a while.

2 hours ago, domuhnator said:

I have been trying to get the set full set in 7.0 or better. Im only missing 214 from the run and I have 3 over 7.0. When I started going for the run I always though they were undervalued. I Wish I bought every one I saw now. I have a 5.5 213 now and by the look of that 8.0 sale I think Im going to have a 5.5 for a while.

Yeah, I was going to go after the run as well (not in the grade you were) and picked up two issues but my other GA wants took priority.  The mid-graders which I wanted were/are plentiful it seems but prices for me now are prohibitive.  

9 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

In my opinion Russ Cochran's Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies cover portfoilo was one of the things he ever did

And one of the best, too.

11 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

In my opinion Russ Cochran's Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies cover portfoilo was one of the things he ever did, I believe Frank recolored and without any lettering on the plates they turned out super....could be a underpriced item if you can find one now...anybody have one?

I have the set and they are terrific. 

Here are the images, courtesy of Heritage Archives.

FamousFunniesPortfolio1.jpg

FamousFunniesPortfolio2.jpg

10 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Last I knew the 215 was hanging on the walls of Metropolis Comics. 

Ok, thanks. I thought Jim was working on amassing the set. I just checked his CAF and he has the 210 plus the Buster Crabbe covers as well as WSF 29. Pretty amazing collection all in all especially with all the GA cover art he has.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:38 AM, jhm said:

I honestly thought I was going to pick up 213 in this auction. But my last bid topped out at $4,200... I was very surprised at the final hammer.

I think there must be others like me that are trying to assemble high grade runs of this set. Most of them are "out there" in the 9.x grades. The 213 just isn't. I'm assuming at least two people have been trying to upgrade for a while and finally found this one.

I felt like I paid elevated premiums in the recent Hake's auction for the 2 below, but they were nowhere near the premium for that 213.
209: https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/224070/FAMOUS-FUNNIES-209-DECEMBER-1953-CGC-92-NM-BUCK-ROGERS
210: https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/224071/FAMOUS-FUNNIES-210-FEBRUARY-1954-CGC-92-NM-BUCK-ROGERS

Frazetta's ability to capture motion always mesmerizes me. My two favorites are 210 & 216, but I love them all!

Congrats on your 2 beautiful pickups here.  :applause:

Not sure what you mean by elevated premiums though, as you managed to get both of them at discounts to condition guide, especially in terms of the Famous Funnies 209.  (thumbsu

Interesting to see Hake's pre-auction estimated valuations on these 2 books.  They had the FF 209 with a pre-auction estimated valuation of $2K to $5K, and then had the FF 210 one full tier lower at the $1K to $2K valuation range (or at only 35% to guide for the bottom range).  Not sure if I would want Hakes to be the consignor for any of my books, if I had a say in it.  hm

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure what you mean by elevated premiums though, as you managed to get both of them at discounts to condition guide, especially in terms of the Famous Funnies 209.  (thumbsu

Interesting to see Hake's pre-auction estimated valuations on these 2 books.  They had the FF 209 with a pre-auction estimated valuation of $2K to $5K, and then had the FF 210 one full tier lower at the $1K to $2K valuation range (or at only 35% to guide for the bottom range).  Not sure if I would want Hakes to be the consignor for any of my books, if I had a say in it.  hm

I would think every issue in 9.2 or better would be an over guide book, for most of the run multiples of guide. 210 seems to be the most common book in the run so I would value it less than 209.

4 minutes ago, Inaflash said:

I would think every issue in 9.2 or better would be an over guide book, for most of the run multiples of guide. 210 seems to be the most common book in the run so I would value it less than 209.

Well, both of these were in CGC 9.2 graded condition and still sold for below last year's top of guide price wince the new guide had not come out yet when these Hake's auctions closed about a month ago.  (shrug)

Looks like the FF 210 actually sold for a few hundred dollars more than what the FF 209 was able to fetch at only $2,478.  Actually, out of all of the these Frazetta FF covers, FF 210 would be at the bottom of my list since the pale blue colors just don't do it for me relative to all of the bold strong colors on all of the other covers.  (thumbsu

15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Thanks! I actually just went back and referenced OPG and see what you mean.

Given the tools I've had created for myself within GoCollect, I rarely reference OPG for prices... love their information though.

Your comment prompted me to go back and dive into past sales. You're right - I think I actually did pretty well on these :smile: I guess I'm so used to paying premiums lately that I have it stuck in my head that everything I want badly comes at a hearty cost.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:36 AM, jhm said:

Thanks! I actually just went back and referenced OPG and see what you mean.

Given the tools I've had created for myself within GoCollect, I rarely reference OPG for prices... love their information though.

Your comment prompted me to go back and dive into past sales. You're right - I think I actually did pretty well on these :smile: I guess I'm so used to paying premiums lately that I have it stuck in my head that everything I want badly comes at a hearty cost.

That's an understatement as it's a coup in today's market if you can pick up classic cover books for less than condition guide.  (thumbsu

I still remember when Overstreet sold his set during the Diamond Galleries grand opening back in the mid-90's, they sold for something like almost 3X top of guide price according to CBM.  Of course, guide prices were a lot cheaper then, and if I remember correctly, they were generally in pristine minty fresh file copy condition fro what I saw of them.  :luhv:

On 8/7/2018 at 8:36 PM, adamstrange said:
On 8/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, Mmehdy said:

In my opinion Russ Cochran's Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies cover portfoilo was one of the things he ever did, I believe Frank recolored and without any lettering on the plates they turned out super....could be a underpriced item if you can find one now...anybody have one?

I have the set and they are terrific. 

Here are the images, courtesy of Heritage Archives.

FamousFunniesPortfolio1.jpg

FamousFunniesPortfolio2.jpg

I guess I really should have started this thread a few weeks earlier.

If so, I would have been made aware of this absolutely gorgeous Frazetta portfolio on the Famous Funnies covers and picked it up at the just completed Hakes Auction:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/223674/FRANK-FRAZETTA-BUCK-ROGERS-FAMOUS-FUNNIES-COVERS-PORTFOLIO-PRINT-SET

Now, a winning bid of only $149 sounds like a steal compared to the almost $900 that a similar sounding condition set sold for in one of the Heritage auctions back in the summer of 2017.  Love their pre-auction estimate of onlt $100 - $200 for the set, which is certainly not doing any favors for the consignor.  :screwy:

Yes, if I had known about this lot, it definitely would have sold for more than the measly $149 that it managed to fetched in the end. :cry:

On 8/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess I really should have started this thread a few weeks earlier.

If so, I would have been made aware of this absolutely gorgeous Frazetta portfolio on the Famous Funnies covers and picked it up at the just completed Hakes Auction:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/223674/FRANK-FRAZETTA-BUCK-ROGERS-FAMOUS-FUNNIES-COVERS-PORTFOLIO-PRINT-SET

Now, a winning bid of only $149 sounds like a steal compared to the almost $900 that a similar sounding condition set sold for in one of the Heritage auctions back in the summer of 2017.  Love their pre-auction estimate of onlt $100 - $200 for the set, which is certainly not doing any favors for the consignor.  :screwy:

Yes, if I had known about this lot, it definitely would have sold for more than the measly $149 that it managed to fetched in the end. :cry:

I noticed that too, and thought the same exact thing.  I think the estimates probably limit bidders more often than they encourage them.  I bought my Adventure Comics 41 through Hake's, and was willing to pay substantially more than I had to for the book.  I wonder if their auction estimate had anything to do with the lack of more heated bidding.