• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

423 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2021 at 1:18 AM, OtherEric said:

I've only got a few of the books; I'm unlikely to get the rest in the current market.  And how I got the ones I have is obvious; at least in both cases the actual image is pretty much undamaged.

(I've got the Buster Crabbe 5 as well, but can't find the scan.  That one has a damaged back cover but the front is pretty nice.)

FF_216.jpg

That jagged tear goes oddly well with the cover art! (thumbsu

10 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

Just had a similar experience. Got my 210 back and the grade is criminal. I don't press books, and as a result they absolutely hammered me on the grade. As I am trying to complete the run in the VF range, it's not a dealbreaker, but this book should have garnered an 8.0 or better, all day long.

20210427_204820.jpg

Since it sounds as though you were the submittor of the book here, you can simply contact CGC and they will then send the Graders' Notes out to you for free.  (thumbsu

That way, at least you can have some idea of the noted defects and the the rationale for why it received what appears to be a very very tight grade of only CGC 7.5 on this nicely presenting copy relative to the assigned grade.  :luhv:

Almost makes me wonder if it's the type of minor defects that the CGC graders would tend to overlook if this was submitted as part of a much larger consignment involving thousands of books in similar condition.  :devil:

On 8/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, lou_fine said:

I noticed and was rather surprised at the following sale of Famous Funnies #213 in the just recently completed Heritage Auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7189-91035.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

From my point of view, that was a rather astounding price of $6K for a CGC 8.0 copy of Famous Funnies 213 since the census report indicates 3 higher graded copies along with a total of 6 copies in this same VF 8.0 grade.  In addition, this appears to be the first time that one of these Frazetta Famous Funnies covers have gone past the $3K range without being somewhere in the uber high grades (i.e. CGC 9.4 or 9.6). :whatthe:

Just wondering if this auction result is just an one-off between 2 overly aggressive bidders or if these multiples to guide are going to once again be an indication of the new normal for these classic Frazetta covers?  I remember these particular issues going for huge multiples to guide a couple of decades ago and then seem to slow down to only slight premiums to guide as Overstreet began raising the valuations for them.  Or is it possible that this is being considered as the best cover out of this classic bunch and hence, is finally getting recognition as this Frazetta run has not exactly been setting the marketplace on fire recently?  Of course, it doesn't really help that most of their sales occur well over a full decade ago with not many copies coming into the marketplace during the past few years.  hm

Since we are on the topic of the Frazetta Famous Funnies covers, which issue out of this classic but short run is everybody's favorite cover image?  My own personal choice would be between this FF 213 and the FF 214 red moon cover (especially in eye popping high grade colors), although I do absolutely love the color combinations of Famous Funnies 211.  :cloud9:

What say you and any technical geniuses here that knows how to set up a survey?

I think it’s an indication that 6k isn’t that much anymore 

20 minutes ago, PatrickinVancouver said:

Without a doubt 214 is my favorite cover of the run, hugely influenced by the fact I saw one of these when I was still in High School  and chasing down the usual Marvels and D.C.'s, I just could not believe how wonderful it was and paid $6 (which was a lot at the time). Managed to upgrade to this copy, love it so much!!! 

Famous Funnies 214 OW.jpg

My reaction to that cover is always 90% "awesome!" and 10% "where are their legs?"

5 hours ago, PatrickinVancouver said:

Without a doubt 214 is my favorite cover of the run, hugely influenced by the fact I saw one of these when I was still in High School  and chasing down the usual Marvels and D.C.'s, I just could not believe how wonderful it was and paid $6 (which was a lot at the time). Managed to upgrade to this copy, love it so much!!! 

Famous Funnies 214 OW.jpg

Pm sent :roflmao:

4 hours ago, RICK STARR said:
On 4/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, BanjerD said:

Uh, wha...what?(shrug)

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 6.50.23.png

Expand  

Utter nonsense!

Totally agree with you 110%!!!  (thumbsu

Was just about to hit the BIN button at the full $105K bargain basement asking price when I noticed its "May Not Ship to Canada" notification. :frustrated: :censored:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Totally agree with you 110%!!!  (thumbsu

Was just about to hit the BIN button at the full $105K bargain basement asking price when I noticed its "May Not Ship to Canada" notification. :frustrated: :censored:

xD