• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, piper said:

I finished the Famous Funnies 209-216 run this evening.  There was a 4.0 216 in the Sunday Night Heritage Auction.  Unless there is a mail mishap, I will post a group shot soon...

I imagine that I was bidding against someone on the boards.

For whatever reason, I haven't been successful sourcing a copy the past few years.  It seemed like all the copies showing up were either uber high grade or on the lower end of the grade spectrum, so it was a pleasant surprise that a nice presenting mid grade copy popped up.

:banana:

Congrats! And yes I was bidding against you:bigsmile: I picked up a 213 recently and that cleaned out the war chest so I had to tap out here. I've been tracking the prices on these Frazettas and they certainly are climbing!

10 minutes ago, 10centcomics said:

Congrats! And yes I was bidding against you:bigsmile: I picked up a 213 recently and that cleaned out the war chest so I had to tap out here. I've been tracking the prices on these Frazettas and they certainly are climbing!

I'm glad you stopped bidding! lol

46 minutes ago, october said:

Picked up the full run, graded, on here some years ago. All are in reasonably nice shape, with some in high grade. Not a regret. :)

I cracked them all (cause that's what I do), but had I known the price jumps they would take I might have left them alone!

820955431_001(8).thumb.jpg.80594ddb8a37935ecf2559b9ff328cf4.jpg

001 (263).jpg

001 (288).jpg

001 (54).jpg

001 (155).jpg

001 (348).jpg

001 (223).jpg

001 (11).jpg

:x

On 7/18/2021 at 11:31 PM, eschnit said:

The true collector has to appreciate the rarity of Golden Age goodies.  You have enough cash, you can procure any Silver or Bronze any time you want to.  I mean for it to be anything more than a put it in the shopping cart grocery store visit, we’re taking about a select few in high grade.  That’s it.  Scavenger hunt, go get these 10 Silver or Bronze books, any books you choose, just about any grade, don’t pay more than 10% of whatever the last one sold for, pretty much no problem.  I mean aside from 9.8 silver keys, or one offs, it can be done relatively easily in a day or two.  

Gold however, different story.  Here’s my Frazettas.  I have enough cash to play with to pursue completing the run if it weren’t an ordeal.  Meaning, I’d pay whatever the going rate is for the books I’m looking for.  But so would a lot of folks.  It’s fascinating how rarity works sometimes.  Whatever people think the going rate is on the tough ones, it really depends on the audience in the moment.  I need to be in the mood to play hunter for 213 and 214 in the grade I want, and I’m not interested in the investment of time and energy it would take.  I know I will be at some point, but not now.  And I’m also not interested in selling what I do have.  

How many of us are in a similar boat?  Plenty I’m sure...

6EFB092D-DFC3-4D92-862F-012AAD0D6703.png

Gorgeous books, deserving of a better picture. :cloud9:

On 7/26/2021 at 6:18 PM, BB-Gun said:

frazetta published a few other covers and prints that Idon' see often.

this oneb has bee photo-shopped a little.

5719394135_f6a9035c83_b.jpg

Is it April 1st?

The image is from one of his interior book illustrations, right?  I've never seen it on a comic cover.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:31 PM, eschnit said:

The true collector has to appreciate the rarity of Golden Age goodies.  You have enough cash, you can procure any Silver or Bronze any time you want to.  I mean for it to be anything more than a put it in the shopping cart grocery store visit, we’re taking about a select few in high grade.  That’s it.  Scavenger hunt, go get these 10 Silver or Bronze books, any books you choose, just about any grade, don’t pay more than 10% of whatever the last one sold for, pretty much no problem.  I mean aside from 9.8 silver keys, or one offs, it can be done relatively easily in a day or two.  

Gold however, different story.  Here’s my Frazettas.  I have enough cash to play with to pursue completing the run if it weren’t an ordeal.  Meaning, I’d pay whatever the going rate is for the books I’m looking for.  But so would a lot of folks.  It’s fascinating how rarity works sometimes.  Whatever people think the going rate is on the tough ones, it really depends on the audience in the moment.  I need to be in the mood to play hunter for 213 and 214 in the grade I want, and I’m not interested in the investment of time and energy it would take.  I know I will be at some point, but not now.  And I’m also not interested in selling what I do have.  

How many of us are in a similar boat?  Plenty I’m sure...

6EFB092D-DFC3-4D92-862F-012AAD0D6703.png

Yep!

On 8/3/2021 at 10:36 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Very impressive, my friend!  That's a tough run to put together!!  :headbang:

On 8/3/2021 at 10:32 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I read somewhere that the cover to Weird Science-Fantasy 29 was originally intended to be run in Famous Funnies, but that the editor deemed it too violent.  I hereby nominate it for inclusion here

what do you guys think?

026574B4-1788-44A4-993E-6C855B1BBDF1.jpeg

Yes. I would also add Buster Crabbe 5.