• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, piper said:

Yes. I would also add Buster Crabbe 5.

Agreed on the Buster Crabbe 5 as well as the W S-F 29.  The Buster Crabbe has the bonus of an amazing story to go with the cover with art by Williamson & other members of the Fleagle gang:

(Scan swiped from the Digital Comic Museum since I don't have a scan of my copy handy.  It actually might be my book, heavily cleaned up, or Geo might have grabbed a scan from elsewhere when he edited it.  I can't remember for sure.)

bc_05_pg00_fc.jpg

On 8/3/2021 at 11:09 AM, OtherEric said:

Agreed on the Buster Crabbe 5 as well as the W S-F 29.  The Buster Crabbe has the bonus of an amazing story to go with the cover with art by Williamson & other members of the Fleagle gang:

(Scan swiped from the Digital Comic Museum since I don't have a scan of my copy handy.  It actually might be my book, heavily cleaned up, or Geo might have grabbed a scan from elsewhere when he edited it.  I can't remember for sure.)

bc_05_pg00_fc.jpg

Beautiful linework, but the mis-proportioned heads on Buster and his lady friend prevent me from buying this one.  His art teacher needs to remind him to study anatomy again!

On 7/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, Yorick said:

Is it April 1st?

The image is from one of his interior book illustrations, right?  I've never seen it on a comic cover.

The image was from a packet of Frazetta prints offered to fans.  I put the logo on top to see how it would look as a comic cover.

Well, for those that's hoping to pick up a copy of Famous Funnies 214 with Frazetta classic "red moon" cover, looks like there's one coming up in the Heritage's Sunday Auction during the first weekend of February:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-214-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vg-35-off-white-pages/p/122206-69012.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #214 (Eastern Color, 1954) CGC VG- 3.5 Off-...

And for the deeper pocketed bidders out there, it looks like there's a much higher graded copy of Famous Funnies 210 in their next Signature Auction:  :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/famous-funnies-210-eastern-color-1954-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/p/7270-22002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #210 (Eastern Color, 1954) CGC NM 9.4 Off-w...

And of course, nobody wants to be left out of the Frazetta Famous Funnies party, so here's 2 copies of Famous Funnies 209 (with one of them being the Twin Cities pedigree copy) that CC has up so far, with hopefully more to come as their upcoming auction still seems to be a work in progress, which actually probably applies for all 3 of the major auction houses right now:  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/943086

fam1.1392.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/917820

fam1.1383.jpg

I posted a question in the “Swipe” thread, but didn’t get an answer. It appears that two main elements of Frazetta’s cover to Famous Funnies 214, the moon and the ship, were borrowed from the Wally Wood story “My World” in Weird Science 22. WS 22 cover date predates FF 214 by about a year. Is this what it seems, or was Frazetta’s work done first?

On 1/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, KirbyJack said:

I posted a question in the “Swipe” thread, but didn’t get an answer. It appears that two main elements of Frazetta’s cover to Famous Funnies 214, the moon and the ship, were borrowed from the Wally Wood story “My World” in Weird Science 22. WS 22 cover date predates FF 214 by about a year. Is this what it seems, or was Frazetta’s work done first?

I think it's exactly as it seems. Frazetta was collaborating with Williamson on EC art at the time, so there's circumstantial evidence at least that he would have been aware of their 1953 output.

The zipatone effect on the FF 214 red moon is one of the coolest/most distinctive things about it; I can easily imagine Frazetta noticing the effect in these smaller Weird Science panels, and getting the urge/inspiration to try something similar on a much larger scale.

He inked a different story in that same issue, so I bet he saw it. 
I’m just trying to learn more before I run my mouth. It seems very unlikely to me that I’m the first to notice, so I figured I’d ask around where the smart kids hang out.

Edited by KirbyJack

On 1/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, KirbyJack said:

Frazetta said that he borrowed from  Wood for his cover and that it was because he was so impressed with Wood's art.