• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, KirbyJack said:

I posted a question in the “Swipe” thread, but didn’t get an answer. It appears that two main elements of Frazetta’s cover to Famous Funnies 214, the moon and the ship, were borrowed from the Wally Wood story “My World” in Weird Science 22. WS 22 cover date predates FF 214 by about a year. Is this what it seems, or was Frazetta’s work done first?

I was under the impression that they both swiped the "ship" from an experimental "future" rocket car that one of the big automobile manufacturers created back then (I want to say General Motors).  I'll try and confirm... may take some time.

On 1/31/2022 at 3:13 PM, manetteska said:

New owner?

I just got my copy back from CGC.  I bought a raw copy from @Point Fivea number of years ago for a much more reasonable pric .  I'm happy to see the price increases.

You've reminded me that I need to post photos of the full set...

On 1/2/2021 at 4:43 PM, lou_fine said:

I remember being in the Diamond vault right after their Int'l Galleries grand opening back in early '95 and saw nice copies of 209 to 212 along with 216 which I assume were part of the books from Martha's split out of the Overstreet collection.  :luhv:

Sadly, no 213 or 214 which have always been my favorite covers out of the entire Frazetta run and ones which Overstreet (along with 215) probably never found in nice enough condition to match up with the other earlier issues in his run.  (shrug)

I owned the air rights to them for a few minutes!

For those of you here who are fans of the Frazetta Famous Funnies cover artwork, another boardie just PM me with this HA listing they saw:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/frank-frazetta-famous-funnies-portfolio-russ-cochran-1975-/a/322206-47159.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Memorabilia:Comic-Related, Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies Portfolio (Russ Cochran, 1975)....

Memorabilia:Comic-Related, Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies Portfolio (Russ Cochran, 1975)....

Not sure about the price point here at $576, but I believe this is probably somewhere in the ballpark as I have seen them sell from $400 up to the $900 price range in past years.  Also not sure if the recent upsurge in prices for the underlying Frazetta Famous Funnies books would result in an increase for this type of related collectible, but definitely a poor man's way of acquiring a gorgeous example of Frazetta's classic artwork without having to pay 5-figures for some of these individual issues here. :luhv:  (thumbsu  

Just wish that I had been made aware of this Heritage Auction listing while it was still active, instead of after it had already ended.  :frustrated:

Took a closer look at this Frank Frazetta Famous Funnies auction listing and noticed that it had closed on a Wednesday:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/frank-frazetta-famous-funnies-portfolio-russ-cochran-1975-/a/322206-47159.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

This makes me kind of wonder if it would have done better if it had been slotted in as part of their regular Sunday/Monday Weekly Comic Book related auction, instead of this regular Wednesday Comics Art Auction which I was not even aware of?  (shrug)

On 2/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, lou_fine said:

For those of you here who are fans of the Frazetta Famous Funnies cover artwork, another boardie just PM me with this HA listing they saw:  :luhv:

Not sure about the price point here at $576, but I believe this is probably somewhere in the ballpark as I have seen them sell from $400 up to the $900 price range in past years.  Also not sure if the recent upsurge in prices for the underlying Frazetta Famous Funnies books would result in an increase for this type of related collectible, but definitely a poor man's way of acquiring a gorgeous example of Frazetta's classic artwork without having to pay 5-figures for some of these individual issues here. :luhv:  (thumbsu  

Just wish that I had been made aware of this Heritage Auction listing while it was still active, instead of after it had already ended.  :frustrated:

The print set is lovely. They do come around from time to time.

It's so weird to me that all the prints are different sizes.  ???

On 2/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, Point Five said:

The print set is lovely. They do come around from time to time.

It's so weird to me that all the prints are different sizes.  ???

The original art is drawn on all very different sized boards :foryou: and probably had to be reproduced based on the individual dimensions

Received an email today from CL about their Feature Auction offerings tonight and noticed that their Frazetta Famous Funnies run from 209 through 212, with these two leading the way for now at $5,414 and $4,511 respectively, with the FF 211 being a Bethlehem pedigree copy to boot:  :luhv:
https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1551508&id=1551508&itemType=0#detail

00069691594000110170034005.jpg

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1551509&id=1551509&itemType=0#detail

00063320892031110017677009.jpg

Still a long ways to go from the strong 5-figures and near 5-figures which Heritage were able to fetch recently for their Frazetta Famous Funnies, especially with respect to the CGC 9.0 graded copy FF 211 and CGC 8.0 graded copy of FF 212 which sold only a few short months ago for $19,800 and $19,200 respectively.  :whatthe:

Will certainly be interesting to see how close these CL Frazetta Famous Funnies offerings come to the Heritage price points, but I somehow don't think it'll be close since more of the deep pocketed frenzied GA eyeballs tends to focus more on the Heritage auction site, as opposed to the CC auction site.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine