• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

Missed the entire first 100 issues of MORE FUN...picked up my first copy in December 1944...it just happened to

be #101 the first SUPERBOY issue.   Alas, the cover has been lost but the SUPERBOY story is totally intact.

Marty

1 hour ago, D84 said:

I was looking to pickup another one of the Spectre cover issues, and was checking the census.  Are they really that rare?

I wouldn't exactly say "rare" but scarce for sure. Always have been. Especially the "big logo" Spectre and Dr Fate issues. I rarely see many for sale. I do believe the print runs were low. I have heard for years that this title is a slow seller. I have never seen any indication of dealers lowering or dealing only these much when they have them. 

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I wouldn't exactly say "rare" but scarce for sure. Always have been. Especially the "big logo" Spectre and Dr Fate issues. I rarely see many for sale. I do believe the print runs were low. I have heard for years that this title is a slow seller. I have never seen any indication of dealers lowering or dealing only these much when they have them. 

Aren't all the Spectre and Dr. Fate covers big logo covers?  I agree that they seem tougher to find than most of the later Green Arrow covers.

On 8/8/2018 at 3:22 PM, lou_fine said:

with More Fun 48 in terms of Flessel's classic dinosaur cover.

Hey! Credit where credit is due: that's a John Richard Flanagan cover!

2 hours ago, elibowman said:

I picked this guy up recently (last issue, #127). OSPG says it’s Scarce. Any commentary on how scarce it really is? Only 2 show on the census, but I know that can be deceiving. 

F3C1E4D6-9F46-4C5A-BEBF-0928460B0129.jpeg

It had low distribution and few people bought it, so it's fairly uncommon.  I've seen two or three raw copies over the years.  Excellent pick-up, congrats!

11 hours ago, elibowman said:

I picked this guy up recently (last issue, #127). OSPG says it’s Scarce. Any commentary on how scarce it really is? Only 2 show on the census, but I know that can be deceiving. 

F3C1E4D6-9F46-4C5A-BEBF-0928460B0129.jpeg

My copy is missing the centerfold.  It's definitely not a common book, but I don't think it really breaks out as much rarer than most other More Funs in the 108-127 run.

With that said, the 108-127 run of More Funs are pretty darn scarce on the ground.

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 11:53 PM, sacentaur said:

NEWFUN3.png

Steve, this looks like my old copy! In fact, it even looks like the oversized Mylar and board I purchased specifically for it!! It's my former copy for sure if it's got a piece off of the back cover about the size of a small paperback book.