• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2021 at 10:04 AM, JimButlerGA said:

I recently joined the 54 club with a beautiful book hosting slight resto. It will be a blue label at some point, likely when CGC gets caught up. As a collector of only WWII related covers, this was a top 10 target for me.

75C3937D-677B-4959-A6A6-C8A0F9910F5D.jpeg

Ah-hah...so it was you that kept out bidding me...!

On 5/22/2021 at 1:04 AM, JimButlerGA said:

I recently joined the 54 club with a beautiful book hosting slight resto. It will be a blue label at some point, likely when CGC gets caught up. As a collector of only WWII related covers, this was a top 10 target for me.

Such an Awsome book. One of the best covers of the GA. Congrats!

On 5/22/2021 at 4:04 AM, JimButlerGA said:

Hi. I was watching this one the whole time. Glad to see a fellow board member got it. Congrats, real beauty. 

Not sure if anyone saw this tonight (Graded by the other guys though), but this is a massive leap in price for this issue at that grade (2.5, and honestly in my opinion about 0.5 too high from the looks of it)  - especially when you consider the only other sale this year was for a CGC 7.5 that wen't for $2,300. I think we will see much more of this boost to the 'bottom' grades for this series (as well as other core Golden Age series like Adventure Comics) - as many mid/high grades are perceived as automatically out of reach for many, so bidding wars get heated over the absolute lowest grades that hit the market.

707145817_ScreenShot2021-10-27at9_15_09PM.thumb.png.aca647febf636f5f4ffb735e6a9eb052.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 6/1/2021 at 3:15 PM, Sauce Dog said:

More appreciation for classic Fate is growing (as it should). The latest clink auction just closed, and higher than I expected (a Universal 3.0 sold last month for $1,285, and the last time a restored copy came to market was last year; a 6.5 which sold for $1,100)

2016521361_ScreenShot2021-06-01at4_10_28PM.thumb.png.a166f2f83e43e768ca066c7ea13e130b.png

I hope you're enjoying the book I sold you a few years ago! It's about time that Dr. Fate gets his due!

On 10/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, Howling Mad said:

I hope you're enjoying the book I sold you a few years ago! It's about time that Dr. Fate gets his due!

It's been long over due! 

Your's was the first book I bought when I started on my obsession - but due to rarity and costs its been a slow build (right now I have four books at home graded - all but one are restored, and one I just picked up raw that is being conserved and graded)

On 11/24/2021 at 9:33 AM, Robot Man said:

At the bottom of the More Fun food chain. Just picked this up real cheap. The contents suk so bad. A far cry from the glory days of one of my favorite DC runs but found the Supes cover fun...

367B658A-1A04-4260-8C70-31AE45918A7A.jpeg

I must respectfully disagree with you on the contents, I find Jack Mendelsohn and Howie Post's Jimminy and the Magic Book a delightful feature in the Walt Kelly vein, and Genius Jones is another very fun feature.

I am prepared to agree that all the other features are unimpressive, with Dover & Clover being the worst thing Henry Boltinoff ever did by a fair margin.

Nice pick-up, in any case.  I have about half of the last 20 issues but haven't been able to track down this one yet, so my comments are about the series in general, not the specific examples in this issue.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:57 AM, OtherEric said:

I must respectfully disagree with you on the contents, I find Jack Mendelsohn and Howie Post's Jimminy and the Magic Book a delightful feature in the Walt Kelly vein, and Genius Jones is another very fun feature.

I am prepared to agree that all the other features are unimpressive, with Dover & Clover being the worst thing Henry Boltinoff ever did by a fair margin.

Nice pick-up, in any case.  I have about half of the last 20 issues but haven't been able to track down this one yet, so my comments are about the series in general, not the specific examples in this issue.

OK, I went in and gave the book a read. As many of you know, I do have my preferences in comics. But I do like and have collected a lot of humor and funny animal books as well. The stories you mentioned were well written and drawn. Problem is they were directed at very small kids. Even as a kid, I don't remember reading books like that. So quality work, just not up my alley.

The point of my post was in it's heyday, More Fun was a solid read cover to cover. Spectre (pre Percival Pop) was dark and mysterious as well as Dr. Fate. Aquaman was a great concept and he often fought the Nazis in interesting ways. Green Arrow was also pretty creative. The weakest feature was Johnny Quick to me and still it was quite readable. Packed a lot of reading for a DC. 

This title came in a little bland and ended with a whimper. But, man in the middle it was quite the book!

On 11/25/2021 at 8:43 AM, Robot Man said:

OK, I went in and gave the book a read. As many of you know, I do have my preferences in comics. But I do like and have collected a lot of humor and funny animal books as well. The stories you mentioned were well written and drawn. Problem is they were directed at very small kids. Even as a kid, I don't remember reading books like that. So quality work, just not up my alley.

The point of my post was in it's heyday, More Fun was a solid read cover to cover. Spectre (pre Percival Pop) was dark and mysterious as well as Dr. Fate. Aquaman was a great concept and he often fought the Nazis in interesting ways. Green Arrow was also pretty creative. The weakest feature was Johnny Quick to me and still it was quite readable. Packed a lot of reading for a DC. 

This title came in a little bland and ended with a whimper. But, man in the middle it was quite the book!

I can agree with everything you said here; thank you for taking the time to read the book.