• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Fun Comics Appreciation Thread
6 6

420 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, walclark said:

I used to have all the Spectre covers and most of the Dr. Fate covers...until my home was burglarized and I lost them.  I tracked down a lot of the stolen books and the thief is doing a 26 year stretch in the state prison (he was a 14 time loser in our court system), but it broke my heart and I never tried to rebuild the collection.  I've still got 52 to 55 (2 copies) and a few scattered other issues, but these are some that I had and lost. :cry:

From a collector's point of view, it's certainly sad and alarming to hear about your loss.  :frown:

It's rather unfortunate they were not able to track down your books for you even though they ended up catching the culprit in the end.  Certainly glad to hear that he is doing an extended stretch in the big house though.  (thumbsu

The late run MFs are some of the least common DC books.  The explanation that I've heard is that the title became a poor seller (I'm sure the weak covers didn't help).  However, because New/More Fun was DC's first title, for nostalgic reasons the publisher kept the title going, but with a very low print run.  This combination of low print run and even lower sales makes some of the last dozen or so issues nearly impossible to find.  Here are the three that I've found to be the toughest, although a couple of the Howie Post covers at the very end might also qualify.  The 116 is a Gerber no-show.

MoreFun115.jpg

MoreFun116(MH).jpg

MoreFun117.jpg

Great title, and I suspect many collectors (like me) are holding onto their books.

I've tended to focus on the pre-hero books, with the tryout issues (14, 15, 16) being among the best (MF 14 is actually rather common, comparatively speaking).

New Fun 1-6 (jumbo sized) and MF 7 and MF 8 (both oversized) are just brutal (tougher than the "rare" MF 9, IMHO).

I used to own the Church MF 56, sold it, and haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.

MF 54 is probably my all-time fav... :luhv:

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

The late run MFs are some of the least common DC books.  The explanation that I've heard is that the title became a poor seller (I'm sure the weak covers didn't help).  However, because New/More Fun was DC's first title, for nostalgic reasons the publisher kept the title going, but with a very low print run.  This combination of low print run and even lower sales makes some of the last dozen or so issues nearly impossible to find.  Here are the three that I've found to be the toughest, although a couple of the Howie Post covers at the very end might also qualify.  The 116 is a Gerber no-show.

MoreFun115.jpg

MoreFun116(MH).jpg

MoreFun117.jpg

Gary Carter told me roughly the same way back when.  He said that the editor at DC at the time (I think, one of the big wigs at least) considered More Fun his pet title, so they printed the bare minimum each month to break even.  The number he quoted me was 10,000 issues.  I would imagine there's at least some data out there on distribution or printing numbers that might be able to verify or disprove that.  @scrooge?