• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Journals migrated!

43 posts in this topic

New journal format stinks.  As I said in the CG thread, difficult to navigate.  There were a few of the journals that I really enjoyed reading.  

While the instructions at the beginning of this thread are nice (I guess), it should really be a little more intuitive.  Why don't they function like every other section of the forums?   

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

New journal format stinks.  As I said in the CG thread, difficult to navigate.  There were a few of the journals that I really enjoyed reading.  

While the instructions at the beginning of this thread are nice (I guess), it should really be a little more intuitive.  Why don't they function like every other section of the forums?   

My only problem, really, is that they locked the old format in an attempt to force people to accept the new one. 

Things were working out fine before the old ones were locked. People poured their hearts out in the old journals. Locking them was pretty egregious. 

Unlock the old ones and be done with it already. 

Because then they wouldn't be 'new' Chrisco. We have to have 'new' journals, 'new' boards etc. And, in keeping with the long held traditions of humanity in general, anything badged as 'new' - with it's associated inference of 'improved' - has to suck. That is why reasonable people coined the phrase 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'.

The 'new' journals were an optional functionality deliverable. They indeed have some bells and whistles that the old journals don't have. But the fundamentals - ease of reading, ease of access etc have been abandoned on the alter of hip and happening whizz bang pretty things.

If we were allowed to swear on the boards I would put forward the following four words to express my exasperation. I'll leave it to you to decipher them:

1. ****
  2. ****
  3. ****
  4. ****

3 minutes ago, newshane said:

My only problem, really, is that they locked the old format in an attempt to force people to accept the new one.

Then you're not trying hard enough to hate them Newshane :mad:

Spoiler

:grin:

This. They are segregated. I had to actively look for them, and I was trying. The casual reader is never going to even notice these exist, despite the drop down menu up top. 

They're formatted differently than the rest of the boards, making them hard to navigate.

If they got put in with the rest of the board, and formatted like the rest of the board, they would be used, just like they were used before.

The fact that you can self-moderate your journal is why I am interested. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, XXXPHOENIX said:

sorry BUT ... I can barely find few of my older journals.... all the other ones seem lost.

Only these are present... missing the other 28!! :(

so?

I see 33 entries:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/blog/263-xxxphoenixs-journal/

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/profile/14679-xxxphoenix/content/?type=blog_entry

You can also click "Journals -> My Journals" in the main menu to navigate to them. You'll see the most recent couple entries first, and you can click your journal name to get brought to the 1st URL I posted above.

Journals.png

So, let me get this straight.  The journals have been improved.  It turned out so bad, they are either popping up or started in other forums, including comics general.  We aren't even allowed to start Birthday threads in comics general.   I guess it would be fine if they stayed comic related.  However, the first one I clicked on was not.  I guess that means I can start a journal for Birthday threads?  

On 9/2/2018 at 12:44 PM, comicdonna said:

So, let me get this straight.  The journals have been improved.  It turned out so bad, they are either popping up or started in other forums, including comics general.  We aren't even allowed to start Birthday threads in comics general.   I guess it would be fine if they stayed comic related.  However, the first one I clicked on was not.  I guess that means I can start a journal for Birthday threads?  

There is some logic here.

I still don't see why they can't unlock the old forums. Let the new format coexist with the old.Give people a choice. Don't kill fantastic, long-running threads like Doc Joes. The old journals belong in the old journal forum, not comics general or anywhere else.

If participation in the new format is as enthusiastic as the powers-that-be would have us imagine, then there would be no need to FORCE people into using the new format, no? hm

Edited by newshane

On 8/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

If anyone was wondering how you do this, here's how.

Marwood & I's instructions here are great.

But if you're looking for something less nuanced and just want to ensure that no one ever sees your journal, then I recommend posting it in the new journal area and not worrying about the details.  I've confessed to three murders in mine.

5 hours ago, Squeezy McSphincter said:

Marwood & I's instructions here are great.

But if you're looking for something less nuanced and just want to ensure that no one ever sees your journal, then I recommend posting it in the new journal area and not worrying about the details.  I've confessed to three murders in mine.

lol

On 9/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, comicdonna said:

Sure, why not? Board admins have officially sanctioned the moving of old journals into CG, thus making CG a viable landing spot for journals. Post away!

On 9/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, newshane said:

There is some logic here.

I still don't see why they can't unlock the old forums. Let the new format coexist with the old.Give people a choice. Don't kill fantastic, long-running threads like Doc Joes. The old journals belong in the old journal forum, not comics general or anywhere else.

If participation in the new format is as enthusiastic as the powers-that-be would have us imagine, then there would be no need to FORCE people into using the new format, no? hm

Couldn't agree more. 

I've just asked Scott and Dena to move and unlock all my journals - I've asked them to move my journals to different sub-forums, so the journals will probably be scattered around the entire forum. 

I've deleted all the new "migrated journals", I figured I'm not going to continue in that format anyway (and kind of depressing to start with a view count of 0) - so for now none of my journals are migrated, they're just locked. 

BTW, locking old threads aren't very stimulating - it gives you the impression that such threads are a burden and unappreciated - in fact it got me to think if it's time to quit and do something else - and I wouldn't be surprised if Doc Joe is thinking exactly the same (I'm sure he's aware of what's happening right now).

I believe that the moderators were trying to be nice and to help us with the transition to a new improved and much better place, unfortunately that was not at all what their members/customers wished for. 

There're several small sub-forums in here with few readers/visitors, I'd love to keep "old journals" one of them - and feel free to close it when new posts haven't been written for 3 months ;-) 

Edited by Rune

Scott just informed me that all my journals have been moved:

Personal announcements and topics
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/333764-losing-my-religion/

CGC Registry
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/335284-is-your-collection-normal/

Bronze Age Comic Books
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/330905-conan-the-barbarian-1-to-24-cgc-98-scan-and-photo-library/

Comics General
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/302351-preservation-considerations-for-cgc-book-collectors-by-rune/

I think I forgot one journal, maybe I can find that one later hm

If nothing else is possible - it would be great to see more old journals in "Personal announcements and topics", I'm already starting to feel lonely :frown:

PS. There's music in there too :wink:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/159362-ot-what-are-you-listening-to-as-you-read-the-forums-tonight/

Edited by Rune