• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping OA
2 2

122 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, vodou said:

Yeah charging for it. All good until - charge for something for nothing - until a claim related to signature happens.

That's where the rubber meets the road and I'm not sure the customer (buyer of said service) prevails without going to court.

If somebody has already or does have a signature issue, let's see it posted here and where it goes to get resolution.

I'd like my negative bias to be wrong, but I'd really like to be informed (as would the rest of you too, I think).

And eBay requires you to pay for this signature service for any item over 750 in value, which isn't much these days. I think its just under 3 bucks for USPS but I want to say Fedex is closer to 5.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

Fedex and UPS offer the ability to have a package held for pickup if you have an account under their website.

I usually have deliveries go to a PO Box.  I had a recent HA purchase and they insisted on using FedEx (due to size).  I asked them to send to one of their FedEx offices where I could pick it up.  I got an e-mail notification and had to show ID before they could give it to me.  That transaction was flawless.

In a posting in another topic, someone mentioned he also having stuff delivered to a PO Box and always has to show ID.  I recall showing ID only once in the 20 years or so that I've had a PO Box.  

Last December, I was getting a new phone FedEx'd to my street address.  I saw the delivery notification that was timestamped 20 minutes before.  Since I was expecting the delivery, tracking the status and checking outside about every 30 minutes, I figured I just missed it.  I went outside and saw no package and assumed porch pirates.  But I did see a FedEx truck driving by.  Then the truck backed up.  Then the driver handed me my package.  That did not (and still doesn't) make any sense.

Edited by Will_K

On 1/30/2022 at 2:14 AM, tth2 said:

I'm usually exhausted after opening one of their OA packages!

Fact check: true.  I am trying to get it opened while hearing what sounds like my wife almost ready to go. Barely got it open before I had to leave.

I sold my first OA ever at this past ComicArtLive (woohoo!). One of the orders had to go to Germany and the purchaser initially requested Fedex. I've received plenty of dinged up and poorly packaged art so I wanted to make sure I used something legit for my first international sale. I used a great cardboard mailer I had saved from Cadence which was 18x12x1 and the weight came out to 1.5lbs. I brought it to an official Fedex shipping location and their cheapest option was $170 (~7 days to deliver) from California to Germany. Wow! I was really shocked at this. I asked what was the main driver for the cost and they said it wasn't the value I declared. They couldn't tell me much else except it'd be a little cheaper if I had an existing account with them. 

I then checked out ShipStation via Paypal and got plenty of reasonable quotes in the $50-$70 range, including multiple 3 day options for UPS. 

Can anyone explain why Fedex prices are over $100 the competition with a longer delivery time? Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by PixelPusher

On 9/9/2022 at 9:07 PM, AnkurJ said:

Fedex has always been more expensive, but in my experience the safest option. For anything high value, I would not ship any other way.

Insurance limit is only $1000 with Fedex unless you have it packed by authorized FedEx rep.   This adds approx 5-6x the cost to the shipping. 
https://blog.gocollect.com/the-dangers-of-shipping-comic-books/

Following is my opinion and not directed at anyone here:
I've never had a single positive experience with Fedex and have found their stanchest defenders to be those who have a vested fiscal interest in doing so.

On 11/22/2022 at 12:44 PM, Garry Ghoul said:

Anybody knows if there is any custom taxes between Canada and the US?  Thanks!

Which way are you going? 

Inbound to the US no taxes

Inbound to Canada has HST or PST/GST, although that is sometimes waived for small amounts 

Malvin 

Edited by malvin

On 11/22/2022 at 10:09 PM, malvin said:

Which way are you going? 

Inbound to the US no taxes

Inbound to Canada has HST or PST/GST, although that is sometimes waived for small amounts 

Malvin 

Inbound to Canada. you know the % amount ?  Thanks Malvin