• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The decline sales of Miracleman (Eclipse)
1 1

45 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Brock said:

There were a lot of problems with how Marvel handled the relaunch of Miracleman, but I think one of the most egregious was that they started with high-priced reprints of 1950s era Marvelman reprints. To me, it makes no sense to try to draw readers into what is often regarded as one of the best-written series of all time by pushing out expensive reprints of dated, mediocre and subpar stories. I think they poisoned the well before the regular series even began.

And then they relaunched with a new #1 midway through the series...

And then they cancelled that series midway through the story (again)...

Perfect recipe for a flop.

Yes, I could not figure out why Marvel went with those really bad 1950s Miracleman reprints -- that were so expensive -- instead of going with the Alan Moore MM reprints first. The price was prohibitive to most fans. I talked to a lot of comic shop owners and they all said the price was too high. That and the fact that these were all bagged and new readers couldn't flip through them.

I'll even go so far as to say that many retailers didn't have a clue what Miracleman was to even try to promote it to new readers. Most shop owners were too young to remember Miracleman, had never heard about the back issues, thought they were Mr. Miracle or, since it didn't have Alan Moore's name on it, they didn't know how to promote it. Heck, one of the shops I frequented didn't even order any at first because the manager had no idea who Miracleman was, nor did he know that it was an Alan Moore comic. He said he didn't have a single request for a copy and there was no buzz around it at all, so he wasn't going to buy a comic that was going to sit on his shelves and not sell.

One retailer said the shop still had copies of Miracleman sitting in longboxes that had never sold and I went over to look for them and, lo and behold, it was a six-inch-deep stack of ... Mr. Miracle. When I corrected the owner, I was told that no one ever came in asking for Miracleman and that they thought it was the same character.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:58 PM, Michael Browning said:

Howard the Duck was a comic LONG before it was ever a movie. You should look it up. It's on the internet.

Way to be a d i c k. Nicely done :eyeroll:

Edited by Jerkfro

On 9/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, JollyComics said:

AFTER Watchman and V for Vendetta movies, I sold all Watchmen and V for Vendetta comic books before the sales were plummeting. I did same thing with Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run three years ago

There are a few titles that I collect and never even think about selling . . . these are three of them. :sumo:

On 9/22/2018 at 10:06 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

right here:

898909.jpg

The printing and colouring weren't up to scratch in the first couple of individual Eclipse issues. Garry Leach said they were so retina searingly bad he wanted to gouge his eyes out.  The recoloured collected edition from Eclipse, Marvel's collected edition or the original black and white stories in Warrior would all be preferable.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

3 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

The printing and colouring weren't up to scratch in the first couple of individual Eclipse issues. Garry Leach said thwy were so retina searingly bad he wanted to gouge his eyes out.  The recoloured collected edition from Eclipse, Marvel's collected edition or the original black and white stories in Warrior would all be preferable., .

Soooo true. You'd need a magnifying glass to read the eclipse series. But the editorials are cool

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Soooo true. You'd need a magnifying glass to read the eclipse series. But the editorials are cool

The #1 from Eclipse was my first taste of this awesome series and I still love reading it.

Then again that's probably what's wrong with my eyes now!

I actually just re-read this again last week.The first 16 issues are truly epic and some of my all time favorite arcs.The later issues,not so much but still better than the majority of stuff out there.Still crapped out about the lack of follow up with Marvel and very curious abouit what happened.