• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Roadshow/Pawn Stars Appraisal
5 5

192 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The answer to your question is that:  Yes, you owe taxes when you sell a comic book.  What kind of taxes and how much varies depending upon the circumstances and profile of the seller.  

You ever auction off a big book, which is how the vast majority of big books sell, and the auction house will send you a tax document.

Most sellers are honest and don't rely on a business plan of committing tax fraud.  

Those that do, probably aren't the ones who you want to trust in a high stakes transaction.  After all, if they don't disclose to the IRS, what are they not disclosing to you?  Restoration etc.?

Nevada, where the Pawn Stars is located has a sales tax of 4.6%

9 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

More than just tax fraud, the Bank Secrecy Act makes it illegal to "structure" deposits in order to avoid the $10K reporting mandate.  It is used to look for money laundering, terrorist funding, narcotic funding, as well as tax fraud and other items.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structuring

You beat me to it! And here I thought I was *finally* going to have a real-world use for all these stupid training classes they make me take at work every year!

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The answer to your question is that:  Yes, you owe taxes when you sell a comic book.  What kind of taxes and how much varies depending upon the circumstances and profile of the seller.  

You ever auction off a big book, which is how the vast majority of big books sell, and the auction house will send you a tax document.

Most sellers are honest and don't rely on a business plan of committing tax fraud.  

Those that do, probably aren't the ones who you want to trust in a high stakes transaction.  After all, if they don't disclose to the IRS, what are they not disclosing to you?  Restoration etc.?

There goes my start-up idea :sorry:

13 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

More than just tax fraud, the Bank Secrecy Act makes it illegal to "structure" deposits in order to avoid the $10K reporting mandate.  It is used to look for money laundering, terrorist funding, narcotic funding, as well as tax fraud and other items.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structuring

Benfords law is also used to spot laundering and illegal funds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law#:~:text=Benford's law%2C also called the,life sets of numerical data.&text=If the digits were distributed,about 11.1% of the time.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:53 AM, Timely said:

An 8.0 copy just sold for $28k. The 60k estimate for an 8.5 seems a bit aggressive to me!

Now we fast forward a few months into the current Bizarro market...

JIM83.thumb.jpg.4ba61c76a07a197860f3079ab38ede8c.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 1/7/2021 at 2:39 AM, HotKey said:

Never heard of this...  wonder if they ever used it on Madoffs clients statements... a series of Madeup numbers!

28 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Great another comic I don't own!

They looks a bit run down, hope that they're doing ok, don't have cable so don't know if it is currently running, yet she was asking full price? perhaps she just needed an appraisal (shrug) still a great looking book :)