• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Roadshow/Pawn Stars Appraisal
5 5

191 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, littledoom said:

Awesome, now I'm doh! kicking myself as this looks vaguely familiar!?! lol Like "I've seen this some place?" haha

I'm astounded by your Flea Market knowledge, though, but do you ever get to a book and say, "Is this something or a key, or danged old memory?" :roflmao:

Just so much stuff out there :) 

On 11/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome, now I'm doh! kicking myself as this looks vaguely familiar!?! lol Like "I've seen this some place?" haha

I'm astounded by your Flea Market knowledge, though, but do you ever get to a book and say, "Is this something or a key, or danged old memory?" :roflmao:

Just so much stuff out there :) 

Not very much like this at flea markets any more…:sorry:

Funny thing. My older daughter sent me that clip and said “Dad, don’t you have that one?”. I was suprised she noticed or remembered. But I think it was the price that got her attention…:roflmao:

On 11/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, Robot Man said:

Not very much like this at flea markets any more…:sorry:

Funny thing. My older daughter sent me that clip and said “Dad, don’t you have that one?”. I was suprised she noticed or remembered. But I think it was the price that got her attention…:roflmao:

I antiquated flea markets with the boards antiquity thread (thumbsu I meant to call to that thread, and thought "flea markets" would be a general enough phrase for call back haha

Indeed that price is :x makes me wonder what was paid by the guy who brought it in :) Still something that may eventually been run across, guy got it at an "estate sale", which can always be hit or miss with how "professional" it is done....

On 11/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I antiquated flea markets with the boards antiquity thread (thumbsu I meant to call to that thread, and thought "flea markets" would be a general enough phrase for call back haha

Indeed that price is :x makes me wonder what was paid by the guy who brought it in :) Still something that may eventually been run across, guy got it at an "estate sale", which can always be hit or miss with how "professional" it is done....

If I don’t know what it is I usually research it and then be prepared for the next time I come across it again in the wild (thumbsu

On 11/4/2022 at 2:25 PM, littledoom said:

If I don’t know what it is I usually research it and then be prepared for the next time I come across it again in the wild (thumbsu

That's what I wanted to hear lol 

Just 1) you've run across stuff enough or multiple times to learn, and 2) you remember what you saw to look it up for next time, so

Experience makes perfect :x

Half the time between driving to more than one $$ bin, I forget half the books I've seen, let alone a $5 key :roflmao:

Just the effort it takes, I'm still getting used to it, especially on moderns which can be a new batch every time and hard to keep up with!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/17/2022 at 2:35 AM, littledoom said:

I'm a little surprised they offered 75k for the poster lol

He must have got the text to line up value, along with the coa confirmation haha

On 12/17/2022 at 11:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm a little surprised they offered 75k for the poster lol

He must have got the text to line up value, along with the coa confirmation haha

Me: "That's a crazy price" 

He counteroffers close to it. 

Me again" Oh yeah makes sense"

On 12/17/2022 at 7:27 AM, Cat said:

Me: "That's a crazy price" 

He counteroffers close to it. 

Me again" Oh yeah makes sense"

ya I don't have cable, so I've only seen episodes replayed. It seems most of the time he'll offer half or up to 60-65%, but then someone won't know the value, he'll be like will I'm a "good guy and I'll offer a fair deal." 65% of $$90,000 is A LOT to begin with though!

Spoiler

To me on paper or in writ, that is the way your supposed to do it, but a few times, it looks awkward done on camera. Certainly he'll offer more that 60-65 % sometimes, which is what throws me off and sometimes it "looks like super low balling" lol rantrant

On 3/14/2023 at 8:01 AM, october said:

That appraisal is ludicrous. The 86 Jordan has corner creases and is a PSA 3 or 4 at best. Literally appraised those cards at close to 10x what they are worth. :eyeroll:

He's one of the sports memorabilia appraisers. There's an older woman who also covers sports and should have appraised these as she's evaluated sports cards before

On 3/14/2023 at 12:18 PM, littledoom said:

He's one of the sports memorabilia appraisers. There's an older woman who also covers sports and should have appraised these as she's evaluated sports cards before

Still, its not a long jump from sports memorabilia to sports cards.   If you're in memorabilia chances you don't know someone in cards to bounce info off of is zero, which means he should never be in the position to screw up an appraisal to that degree.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:18 AM, littledoom said:

Leila Dunbar. Very educated in sports cards and memorabilia. Had lunch with her at the Brimfield flea market several years ago. She really has passion and a very nice lady. 

On 3/14/2023 at 8:01 AM, october said:

That appraisal is ludicrous. The 86 Jordan has corner creases and is a PSA 3 or 4 at best. Literally appraised those cards at close to 10x what they are worth. :eyeroll:

He was dancing and dodging the grading question. Pretty critical when apprasing sports cards. Roadshow tends to throw out big numbers. It impresses the audience. It’s all about the Benjamin’s you know,..