• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On ‎2018‎/‎10‎/‎31 at 2:36 PM, Yorick said:

I thought they were taking most notes off of the label so that we are forced to buy the grader notes.  I have a detached cover 3.0 with no notation.  It looks like a 6.0.

horrible business practice. IMHO:  If I am paying for slabbing the graders notes should be provided as part of the cost. Put it on the back of the slab somewhere so it is part of the slab.

39 minutes ago, ERTO said:

You know what I hate? When I drive by someone's house and they have a huge stack/pile of cord wood and they don't put a tarp on it. Does that drive you crazy too?

You know what's worse than a troll with no cord wood to speak of who persists in flapping his tarp anyway?

Spoiler

A low post count troll with nothing of value to add to conversations who persists in changing his moniker, sneaking back in and stalking his betters every time he's banned from this site.

Yeah, I know, good build up and sad punch line.  

Now perhaps we can get back to discussing how to address Newton Ring issues.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

horrible business practice. IMHO:  If I am paying for slabbing the graders notes should be provided as part of the cost. Put it on the back of the slab somewhere so it is part of the slab.

I'm concerned about mislabeling a Conserved book as Universal and failure to disclose amateur restoration up front.  

Also, I'm wondering if this mislabeling was just a one-off mistake or pattern with CGC in the wake of other new holder issues.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Is that really the reason they are now putting less on the label ? If so, I agree with you. 

30 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Is that really the reason they are now putting less on the label ? If so, I agree with you. 

Here's a new holder book I decided to have reholdered recently.  There were no Newton Rings to speak of (thank goodness), but no information on the label aside from Jon Berk's prior ownership of the book and it wouldn't scan properly (appears dark) on my HP Scanjet due to the thick outer rim which was very frustrating...

2b6084d8-58e9-4abf-bdc7-9f2ca68b3cef_zps

Here's the reholdered book imaged on the same scanner with the same settings (all notes as to artists and writers is properly included, but I can't display the label with Berk provenance and grade for obvious reasons)...

6bce4b42-b04e-41a6-92ce-7581056c8a58_zps

Just now, comicdonna said:

They don't put the artists name (s) on the label either?

Yeah, that seriously bugged me as well.  IMO, the inclusion of artist/writer information is not only important, but critical to appreciation and evaluation of an encapsulated book.

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

They don't put the artists name (s) on the label either?

3 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Yeah, that seriously bugged me as well.  IMO, the inclusion of artist/writer information is not only important, but critical to appreciation and evaluation of an encapsulated book.

I don't understand why we keep getting less.  This is better for who?  I guess it's just about "the grade" these days.  :sorry:

30 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I don't understand why we keep getting less.  This is better for who?  I guess it's just about "the grade" these days.  :sorry:

I thought, as part of the design of the new label/holder, they moved the Page Quality to facilitate MORE room for narrative. We should be getting more info, not less.

36 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I have to say, that it looks cleaner/nicer, but I agree that the information is important. Maybe it should be above the "from collection of" notation?

Beauty of the holder is in the eye of the beholder.  Big bold Grade aesthetics with lots of blank space may appeal to some folks.  To others it's a gaudy eye sore that relegates the comic to the Side Kick's Lounge.  That neon grade box is all that some folks see anymore.  Maybe I'm just too old school to appreciate the overemphasis of the dollar and cents aspect of encapsulation these days.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:02 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

If they don't solve the problem and/or offer to fix it on their own nickel, what options are left?  hm

Note: This is almost a rhetorical question as there may be other options, but I'm curious as to your thought process.

Scan it. Photoshop out the NRs and tape a photocopy on the slab.

Edited by I like pie

33 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Scan it. Photoshop out the NRs and tape a photocopy on the slab.

:signfunny: Well, at least those options would be allowable for posting under forum guidelines.  

Remind me to never buy a book from you though.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

4 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Beauty of the holder is in the eye of the beholder.  Big bold Grade aesthetics with lots of blank space may appeal to some folks.  To others it's a gaudy eye sore that relegates the comic to the Side Kick's Lounge.  That neon grade box is all that some folks see anymore.  Maybe I'm just too old school to appreciate the overemphasis of the dollar and cents aspect of encapsulation these days.

You don't agree that it looks more neat/cleaner..? It just does. I'm not saying that it's better, but there's a pleasant visual aesthetic.

It didn't take me much time to discover what Newton Rings are, and I am entirely new here.  Clever name for that holder flaw.

I noticed comment on lesser information being included, on the labels in this thread.  Is that something very recent?  I consider a lot of that information quite important.

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

You don't agree that it looks more neat/cleaner..? It just does. I'm not saying that it's better, but there's a pleasant visual aesthetic.

Assessing the design as an artist with some experience in design, the balance is totally off and not visually appealing.

Our aesthetic preferences apparently differ, that doesn't mean either viewpoint is right or wrong.  The label design isn't pleasing to my eye, but in fairness, I've never been into abstract either.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Yorick said:

I just received my winnings from the September Comiclink auction and all of the John Fantucchio books have horrible newton rings (I won five of them).  The other CGC books I won (one prior generation slab model and one other current slab model) didn't display such excessive rings.  The prior generation slab has no rings at all.

The most interesting thing is that I can't seem to get a good photo or scan of the rings.  It's only ugly when I look at the book in-hand.  I'll keep trying to take a photo and will post it if successful.

Same here, I won two Fantucchio, both special books. I can't get a good photo either. What really stinks in the back of the slab is crystal clear. 

Spoiler

IMG_5798.thumb.JPG.01e9726e3ec4956cab8d5cf5c4ce13ce.JPGIMG_5799.thumb.JPG.1883e9cf57ed0677ae1262ef999e019f.JPGIMG_5800.thumb.JPG.eed4201801dc9c2a77e828427cd74d4d.JPG