• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, I like pie said:
13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think this makes 3 CGC subs returned to me with no Newton Ring Effect. :wishluck: 

Hoping for the same for others! :) 

Always good to hear. How many total books?

10 moderns.... small sample size but some were from 1976 or the like, I think those might be different "sizes" than strait up like ASM #798 moderns, which was included....

In the past I've had troubles with all white covers showing the effect.

This time I had 2 copies of wonder woman #189, one came back 9.8 the other 9.6, with a mostly white cover and still no problems...

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

10 moderns.... small sample size but some were from 1976 or the like, I think those might be different "sizes" than strait up like ASM #798 moderns, which was included....

In the past I've had troubles with all white covers showing the effect.

This time I had 2 copies of wonder woman #189, one came back 9.8 the other 9.6, with a mostly white cover and still no problems...

I have a 50+ total sub that will hit next week:wishluck:

I'll follow up after I get them.

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 1/4/2020 at 7:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think this makes 3 CGC subs returned to me with no Newton Ring Effect. :wishluck: 

Hoping for the same for others! :) 

Always good to hear. How many total books?

Just thought I would clarify one more time...

This last sub was 10 books, but the 2 subs before that were 10 books a piece as well so a total of 30 books free of the effect.

1 sub was 10 value tier non moderns

The other 2 subs were 10 moderns a piece......

Someone brought the notion of the newton rings in the thread discussing the pros and cons of competitors like CBCS. If these new holders from CGC are the best we have so far and yet other companies do not have newton rings, does it mean that slabs from elsewhere are inferior in other areas? What I mean is, is anything sacrificed by having a slab that doesn't have newton rings? Is what is being gained with the new slabs worth the newton rings?

Just confused by all this since it's not an issue I ever thought we'd have and my other CGC slabs look great.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, William-James88 said:

Someone brought the notion of the newton rings in the thread discussing the pros and cons of competitors like CBCS. If these new holders from CGC are the best we have so far and yet other companies do not have newton rings, does it mean that slabs from elsewhere are inferior in other areas? What I mean is, is anything sacrificed by having a slab that doesn't have newton rings? Is what is being gained with the new slabs worth the newton rings?

Just confused by all this since it's not an issue I ever thought we'd have and my other CGC slabs look great.

If you're asking about CGC plastic vs CBCS plastic vs PGX plastic... I can only say that I don't think there are sacrifices in material integrity from CBCS. PGX cases seem(ed) cheap to me (although I haven't held one in a couple years).

The CGC NR problem was only introduced because their last plastic supplier discontinued product (Barex?). So, it's not like CGC switched materials in-benefit of any sort.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you're asking about CGC plastic vs CBCS plastic vs PGX plastic... I can only say that I don't think there are sacrifices in material integrity from CBCS. PGX cases seem(ed) cheap to me (although I haven't held one in a couple years).

The CGC NR problem was only introduced because their last plastic supplier discontinued product (Barex?). So, it's not like CGC switched materials in-benefit of any sort.

Thanks man. In short, this kinda sucks.

As I am scanning them all, the scratches and marks come out very clear. They don't really present visually as you are looking at the slab unless you look hard.

I wonder if that has something to do with eliminating the NRs. Regardless, I'l take the fix but it is more work to edit the scans.

2 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Here's an example.

zene2 - Copy (2).jpeg

Weird lol

I dont have a scanner, I dont notice it in others scans..... I'm glad they dont show up too much in person? But that affects representation for the registry or for selling though :(

I use Microsoft office lenses, but I know usually scans look better....

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Weird lol

I dont have a scanner, I dont notice it in others scans..... I'm glad they dont show up too much in person? But that affects representation for the registry or for selling though :(

I use Microsoft office lenses, but I know usually scans look better....

Maybe it's just a bad batch of plastic. About half of them have it but this was the worst.

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

Maybe it's just a bad batch of plastic. About half of them have it but this was the worst.

My initial thought was that it's the "metal cover", but maybe those are just the worst of them?

Glad it's getting better though :)

I just wondered if with the "clearer case" if there are some covers where "in a scan" it may magnify things...... I dont know much about metal covers, but foil can scratch easily....

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My initial thought was that it's the "metal cover", but maybe those are just the worst of them?

Glad it's getting better though :)

I just wondered if with the "clearer case" if there are some covers where "in a scan" it may magnify things...... I dont know much about metal covers, but foil can scratch easily....

I only have a few metal covers. It's on the plastic but hard to tell if it's the inner well or inside of the case.

Had a small order come in last month, after a 4 month wait - :insane:, the absence of newton rings is much better which I do appreciate but there are very minor rings on 5 out of 6 and almost every case had those marks mentioned above: 

20200120_165622.jpg

20200120_165652.jpg

20200120_165841.jpg

20200120_170150.jpg

Edited by Keys_Collector

5 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Had a small order come in last month, after a 4 month wait - :insane:, the absence of newton rings is much better which I do appreciate but there are very minor rings on 5 out of 6 and almost every case had those marks mentioned above: 

20200120_165622.jpg

20200120_165652.jpg

20200120_165841.jpg

20200120_170150.jpg

Appreciate the reporting back. I have a small 5 book reholder coming and if that's the worst they have I'll be ecstatic! I really hope they figure it out :wishluck: 

Sorry for the very "newbie" question here, but saw a CGC graded comic on ebay the other day that had a very apparent mark on the back of the slab that matches the pictures of these Newton Rings.  Is it possible to get Newton Rings on the back of the slab, or is this something else?

IMG_2395.jpg