• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2022 at 6:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm becoming a raw purist. Comics in just mylars look so nice.

with the outrageously long turn around times, price increases for slabbing and then the ongoing lack of quality control I can see more and more collectors reverting back to raw books.

The slabs will always be the go to for online sales though.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:32 PM, I like pie said:

They're back! I'm seeing a lot more over the past 6 weeks. About 150 books in. 50ish had an unacceptable amount of NRs.

Yep.  I've had a little over 50 comics graded in the last year and a half (when I started getting some of my books done), and none ever came back with Newton Rings.

I had an order of three books came in yesterday.  Two had Newton Rings.  My first subs to come back with them.  Hooray.  
Thankfully, they're very minor.  But they're there.  

On 2/6/2022 at 7:46 PM, darkstar said:

Pathetic that this is still a problem and tolerated by the community. But the spice must flow, so here we are. 

The problem isn't the community accepting it. In fact, there was a poll done here and and overwhelming percentage agree that it's a big issue.

A majority of submissions to CGC are retailers that submit in bulk with intentions to sell to the secondary market. They certainly don't care.

Scans don't usually pick up rings, so the end consumer won't see it until it's delivered.

Until we start refusing/returning those books to the retailers, there is very little motivation for CGC to fix it. 

Edited by I like pie

My first slabbed comic - early 2020 -  had Newton Rings. I got it at MyComicShop and complained. They said I needed to contact CGC which I did. CGC offered to Re-holder it for that cost, but with shipping cost and my time too I decided the heck with it. Maybe someday. It really messes up the appearance of the comic - Journey into Mystery 122 a 9.0. Up until now (another 60 or so slabbed) I haven't got any more that had rings - lucky so far. But have about 50 being delivered soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

On 4/5/2022 at 12:37 PM, I like pie said:

Oof. Just got a shipment today and every book was just covered in rings.

Just as bad as when they new cases were first introduced.:wavingwhiteflag:

Send them back.  Unless, of course, you are one of those who don't see it as a defect. 

On 4/14/2022 at 2:37 PM, shadroch said:

Send them back.  Unless, of course, you are one of those who don't see it as a defect. 

They went back same day. They added next day air return and shipping, when they're done. This is a nice upgrade but everytime you send books back, there's a chance something bad will happen.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, Lord Gemini said:

They're slightly annoying, but not usually all that visible unless you look at them at an angle. Ultimately, not a big enough deal to send back.

Some people, myself included, have a very different opinion.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Gaard said:

Some people, myself included, have a very different opinion.

Oh I know. I'm sure there are things that really bother me regarding slabs that others don't really care about.

Every order I get now has NRs. It wouldn't bother be so much if it was a scientific fact that couldn't be avoided.

However, we KNOW they can produce slabs without the rings. Especially myself, sending so many back and getting them fixed.

I hope they come out with the next gen case soon.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, I like pie said:

I hope they come out with the next gen case soon.

All they have to do is change materials on one of the wells. The NR problem is a result of them doing just this years ago. Change to something else that doesn't result in NR.

Another purchase I was excited to make stifled by CGC's incompetence. I have to go out of my way and ask every seller "does this book have newton rings"; the answer is more and more commonly "yes".

I bought my first CBCS book the other day and am shocked at how much better their holder is. No newton rings, no floating debris inside, no inner-well scuffing and the case is far sturdier. I swear if they ever switch to an attractive label, I'm permanently jumping ship from CGC.

rings.jpg