• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes I received back a few that had them as well recently. I'm too tired to send them back, I think they're livable but I must be in a forgiving mood idk

On 8/25/2022 at 5:05 PM, littledoom said:

Just got these back after being reholdered to fix hair problems 

66667770-4C2A-4D11-B5AF-FC5A602E361F.thumb.jpeg.9a108dc3bae1da65b3697d97f71d2e26.jpeg

45139315-C348-434B-9A46-460BC7900CCA.thumb.jpeg.2724955eec7dd03d9edb35dc5c153559.jpeg

7AC6B1A9-2EF3-4391-9DD4-BDE6215B94F2.thumb.jpeg.223bd6b7b12f5638f78407dd1e0f5aaa.jpeg

They're really not that bad, but they make the coloring of the issues look off, not as oily looking is what I mean. And then be aware of the sonic weld fragments 

IMG_20220825_171036670.jpg

IMG_20220825_171222976.jpg

On 9/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, shadroch said:

Isn't there a short period to do this? I am not aware of them reholdering books people buy on the secondary market. Is this new? 

in the Ask CGC sub-forum, it has been stated by reps that it needs to be reported within 2 weeks of receiving the book back

that would be for a free re-holder ... you are still of course able to pay to have a book re-holdered

if you buy on the secondary market, I don't know that you can claim a free mechanical error re-holder even if you are within the 2 week windows since it technically wasn't your initial submission (I could be wrong)

On 9/6/2022 at 11:43 PM, I like pie said:

They do and they should. Just because flippers don't care about how the book/case appears, doesn't mean the actual collectors should be stuck with a defective product.

Then customers need to return the books to the sellers. Submitters have to push back on CGC directly.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:37 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Then customers need to return the books to the sellers. Submitters have to push back on CGC directly.

I agree somewhat but they want the book and the seller didn't make the faulty product. CGC is doing the right thing by reholdering them for free and standing by their product, regardless of when or where somewhat purchased it.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:54 AM, I like pie said:

I agree somewhat but they want the book and the seller didn't make the faulty product. CGC is doing the right thing by reholdering them for free and standing by their product, regardless of when or where somewhat purchased it.

Do you complain to the butcher when the chef under-cooks your steak?

On 9/7/2022 at 8:32 AM, I like pie said:

No but in this case, CGC is the chef. The butcher would be whomever makes the plastic.

No, in this analogy, the butcher is CGC. They're taking the cow (comic book) and turning it into a cut of steak (slab). The seller is the restaurant, cooking up a way to sell their product.

The onus is on CGC's customers to double-check their work, not the aftermarket to triple-check it. Direct customers need to take the issue up with CGC, and aftermarket customers need to take it up with the sellers. Let's not accept 'passing the buck'.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, in this analogy, the butcher is CGC. They're taking the cow (comic book) and turning it into a cut of steak (slab). The seller is the restaurant, cooking up a way to sell their product.

The onus is on CGC's customers to double-check their work, not the aftermarket to triple-check it. Direct customers need to take the issue up with CGC, and aftermarket customers need to take it up with the sellers. Let's not accept 'passing the buck'.

Disagree wholeheartedly. :foryou:

I had just started submitting my books to CGC in 2021 after joining and I did the submission myself. While many came back looking wonderful, I was sadly disappointed when my ASM #300 came back with a huge Newton Ring right over Spider-Man's face. At the time, I didn't know I had the option to call customer service and have it re-slabbed. While I'm happy to receive a 9.6 grade, the rings detract from the overall look and at this point, I wouldn't believe I could have it re-slabbed without paying for the service. So, it's mine and I guess that's just that. Grrrr... 

Amazing Spider-Man 300.jpg

On 11/13/2022 at 8:13 PM, Joe Hastings said:

I had just started submitting my books to CGC in 2021 after joining and I did the submission myself. While many came back looking wonderful, I was sadly disappointed when my ASM #300 came back with a huge Newton Ring right over Spider-Man's face. At the time, I didn't know I had the option to call customer service and have it re-slabbed. While I'm happy to receive a 9.6 grade, the rings detract from the overall look and at this point, I wouldn't believe I could have it re-slabbed without paying for the service. So, it's mine and I guess that's just that. Grrrr... 

Amazing Spider-Man 300.jpg

You can still send it back, at not charge. Just select the Mechanical Error tab.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 114901.png

Hello and thank you for your contact. I've sent back a different book previously due to a hairline crack in the slab and I am aware of the process. This book (ASM #300) I received it on 10/30/2021 and my thought is too much time has passed, but I guess a call to customer service is worth a try so, I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Joseph. 

On 11/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, Joe Hastings said:

Hello and thank you for your contact. I've sent back a different book previously due to a hairline crack in the slab and I am aware of the process. This book (ASM #300) I received it on 10/30/2021 and my thought is too much time has passed, but I guess a call to customer service is worth a try so, I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

Joseph. 

You don't even have to call in. Jut fill out the online submission a you will be given a return shipping label.

• Administrator
On 11/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, I like pie said:

You don't even have to call in. Jut fill out the online submission a you will be given a return shipping label.

This is true for US residents only.  International customers have to contact customer service to get a return shipping label.  

On 11/14/2022 at 12:49 PM, I like pie said:

You can still send it back, at not charge. Just select the Mechanical Error tab.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 114901.png

I had a 9.8 slab in my last sub that came back with newton rings ruining a great Dave Stevens cover.  I didn't know about this Mech Error/Return option.  Thanks for posting about it, I'll definitely take pursue a reholder!