• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

Be careful with reholders. Sent one in because I had a slab cracked in one corner in shipment and the book came back in worse condition than it left. Was originally a 9.8 but they put a finger bend in the cover. contacted them about what I can do to get the slab fixed as, being new to submitting, never had to do such a thing. Got it all packed up and sent it out for the reholder under ME and comes back with spine ticks and scuffs on the inner plastic holder. Still came back a 9.8 as I heard they don't typically regrade, but the book would never have gotten that grade if I sent it in like that as my original submission. Unless its a sig series book that I cant just crack myself, any further need of a reholder I'm just cracking myself and paying to get regraded. If the company that does the grading cant open one of their cases the right way without damaging the contents, I cant trust them to do it the right way the next time I may need to have a reholder. Will just crack and resubmit instead. 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:22 AM, CGC Mike said:

This is true for US residents only.  International customers have to contact customer service to get a return shipping label.  

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the back up you've provided to the info already received. This adds another layer of assurance for me. OK, I'm in. Thank you CGC community and in particular Mike, I like pie (so do I) and Warlord. 

Stan Lee ll.jpg

Around 30 years ago I worked on drum scanners at several color houses, to avoid newtons rings when scanning transparencies we would apply a light dusting of scanning powder to the mounting surface of the transparency (Kodachrome or Ektachrome slides, 2x3 or larger professional transparencies) when mounting to the scanning drum. This worked quite well unless you were enlarging the scan about 300-400% then you would oil mount the transparency to avoid enlarging the powder grains. Obviously oil mounting collectables is out of the question, but since slabbed books are not going under a microscope perhaps a similar product could be used when encapsulating comics? I'm not sure if scanning powder is even available anymore as by the late '90's-early 2000's digital cameras pretty much moved drum scanning to the dustbin.

Hi. I just wanted to offer some information regarding GCC's policy and Newton Rings (NR). I recently got 38 books graded and nearly half came back with visible NR.  All of those books are graded highly (9.2 - 9.8) and (imo) the NR significantly detract from the overall appearance of the graded books. Most are in the middle of each cover and your eyes instantly focus on them. 

I called CGC Customer Support and spoke with Chris who said that CGC changed their policy earlier this month and is no longer accepting "Mechanical Error/Returns" for NR!  My timing is horrible! Chris said that reholdering them is an option but depending on the value of the book, the cost is $20 (value under $1k) and $50 (value over $1k).  Of course the value of the graded book itself isn't diminished but after discovering this post that began well over 4 years ago, you'd hope and think that CGC could produce a holder that wasn't affected by NR. Apparently they're not able to avoid this defect and as far as I know, there's no fix for the consumer.  It's frustrating and disappointing.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:03 PM, Mister Scary said:

I called CGC Customer Support and spoke with Chris who said that CGC changed their policy earlier this month and is no longer accepting "Mechanical Error/Returns" for NR

@MattM CS Matt, sorry to summon you here, but is this right?

On 4/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, Mister Scary said:

Apparently they're not able to avoid this defect and as far as I know, there's no fix for the consumer.

This is so inaccurate, it's disgusting that someone from CGC told you that. Every single book they send out with Newton Rings is avoidable.

It's a matter of quality control.

Every one that I have sent back. has been corrected. It may have taken CGC two or three times to get it right but there's certainly a fix for it. Anyone saying otherwise is lying or ignorant.

If they told you no, talk to their boss. If their boss says no, talk to their boss.

Just bought and received my very first graded comic book off of eBay with another one on the way and was unaware of Newton Rings until it arrived.  The one I just received has this Newton ring issue and appears to be staining the cover.  I am so turned by off this and upset after what I paid that I am not going to buy anymore graded comics.  This has left a bitter taste and is very disappointing.   This is a problem that CGC needs to fix fast!

On 6/5/2023 at 6:29 PM, MN1 said:

Just bought and received my very first graded comic book off of eBay with another one on the way and was unaware of Newton Rings until it arrived.  The one I just received has this Newton ring issue and appears to be staining the cover.  I am so turned by off this and upset after what I paid that I am not going to buy anymore graded comics.  This has left a bitter taste and is very disappointing.   This is a problem that CGC needs to fix fast!

While Newton rings look bad you can be sure that it isn't staining your book. Unless there's something else in there the book should be fine. Your disappointment is understandable though. 

Do you have pics that we can see? 

On 6/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, MN1 said:

CGC's new policy in effect is that the rings are your fault and your problem - seriously that is the policy!

The only way things will change is if people stop submitting and stop buying the slabs.  I do not think that will occur. This is what happens when there is no real competition

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, MN1 said:

I feel your pain!  I've sent several books back over the last year as MEs because of Newton Rings.  I have a 15 book ME submission with several NR books that I was fortunate to get to CGC before they announced their new policy, and CGC has apparently reslabbed these books and will be shipping them back to me probably today or tomorrow.

There are videos on YouTube that supposedly show ways to remedy Newton Rings.  I'll be studying up on these in the next few days.  If anyone has used one of these techniques to fix Newton Rings, they would be welcome to chime in...  :bigsmile:

New to this hobby, reading, and what a nightmare for the collecting community! Is CGC doing anything besides saying, this is not an issue to worry about.

Does CBCS have this issue? Seems if CBCS was going to ever increase their level of need in the community, this is their chance. What a nightmare.