• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings
15 15

676 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I feel hurt because I didn't get added to the drama queen chronic complainer list.  

You are actually on it, just way down the list. There are a few ahead of you, but you still have time to raise your ranking, you just have to say stuff like the NRs gave you seizures when you stared at it at a 45 degree angle for 2 hours or the ridges are 1/132 " too thick to take just the perfect scan.

:foryou: Hopefully you feel better now.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

People need to realize that what isn't important to them may be very important to others. Let's say that John considers NRs to be a 2 (on a scale from 1 to 10 on what's important), but Steve considers them to be a 9. Does that mean Steve should be ridiculed by John?

Kind of in the same ballpark as "What I collect is great & what you collect sucks."

That's what I'm saying, don't ridicule me for collecting books that have NRs and what I collect doesn't suck, thanks Gaard for standing up for me.:headbang:

Newton_ring.thumb.jpg.9dbc07bbc1de76d34a3f3e861ad47a94.jpg

Just more data...from latest I have received 

Grade date:

3/9/18 Newton rings

8/29/18 Newton rings

8/29/18 Newton rings

8/29/18 Newton rings

9/7/18 Newton rings

9/25/18 Newton rings

10/4/18 Newton rings

10/16/18 Newton rings

All the above also make brittle crackling noises when I apply slight bend side to side pressure on the case. 

11/1/2018 no rings and no cracking noise when I apply slight bend pressure

Everything above is 6 3/4" inner well width lower slot size. Maybe they are working through defective stock and finally have gone through it.

I have received other comics with a different inner well width lower slot size of 7" through above dates and earlier with no newton rings.

Everyone needs to focus on determining if you have newton rings blindfolded. You can feel the newton rings by gently applying slight flexing pressure on the case and listening for brittle crackling. I find this fascinating I can detect them without looking.

Edited by dfx1

6 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

If you can determine there are newton rings present blindfolded are you actually using the force? hm

These are not the flaws you are looking for... giphy.gif.d1b3a340334284306f5faba97bcbe67e.gif

Edited by Get Marwood & I
This force gives me power over weak production values 😃

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

For those interested, I fixed a couple of broken PB image links early in this thread adding comments about scanning issues I've had with the most recent holder design.  I now return you to regular programming.  :wink:

"scanning issues" aren't the only issues you have,dude

On 12/12/2018 at 12:27 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

As this saga evolves, we watch with baited breath ...and posts... as Frodo works tirelessly against temptation to embrace the Rings influence while slowly progressing toward Mount Doom.  :popcorn:

Unless you've been eating chum, it should be bated breath.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

Unless you've been eating chum, it should be bated breath.

In this shark-tank, you could be right, chum.  ;)

Alas, 'twas only sarcasm.  IOW, an intentional malaprop serving as a double entendre, ergo "baited breath ... and posts" as the phrase continued. 

Here's a jolly seasonal one, ideally suited to this thread: Will CGC holders still be ringing in the New Year? (:

Edited by Cat-Man_America