• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many New Comics Do You Purchase Each Month?

How many NEW comics (i.e., non-back issue, non-CGC) do you purchase in a typical month?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. How many NEW comics (i.e., non-back issue, non-CGC) do you purchase in a typical month?

72 posts in this topic

Ask Chrisco37 who turned him onto that awesome stuff gossip.gifgrin.gif He and I PM each other every month when we finish the newest issue of fables.

Try the Authority(1st series) trades from wildstorm, now that was a wild ride!

Every genre (except possibly Western) is well-represented on the racks today, and I think it's a damn fine time to be reading comics.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. After being absent for 10 years from comics, I am delightfully surprised by the overall quality of current comics. By this I mean both art and writing.

I am also glad to hear Authority is a good read. I think I will give into temptation and buy a few issues next time I hit the store. I guess I'll add Fables to my growing list of monthly reads. I keep hearing about it too! smile.gif

I got out of collecting new books after my 3rd child was born, but I was spending about $250 to $400 per week for new books. I collected every number 1 and about 90% of all marvel and 60% of all dc's. I started collecting in '77 or '78 and have just started to sell some of my 47 long boxes to help finance a move out of state. I now buy 3-5 silver age books a month in vf or better just because I can't help myself.

Well.....shooot...I guess I gotta give everybody props! smile.gif

My man, Steve turned me on to the following (all highly recommended): Transmetropolitan (the first book Steve recommended is one of my all-time favorites!). Also, 3-Fingers TPB (by Rich Kowalski) was absolutely awesome. So frikkin' funny and biting! More props to Steve for Rick Veitch's fantastic "Brat Pack" and "Maxi-Mortal" (if you haven't read these, you are really missing out on some great comic commentary and off-the-wall stuff). Love Fables, and Steve and I talk about it after every new issue!!!

Props to 'House for hooking me on "Strangers in Paradise".....another great book, with awesome writing and a realistic look on modern relationships.

And "Big-Ups" to Chromium for his recommended reads and all the insider Alan Moore info provided for "Watchmen" and "V for Vendetta".... The annotations have been invaluable.

Also, although they don't post here.....super props to the guys at my shop that got me hooked on "Bullets" and basically forced me to buy "Preacher" (I was like, "I don't wanna read any religious [!@#%^&^]!" Boy, was I worng about that!).

Chris

heres a new angle for you all . i dont buy any new comics cause my dad owns a comic store i just read em and put em back but i am careful muhahahahahah.but since im there all the time we have prolly 15 customers who purchase 5-10 new dc comics per month. a few of those people dont buy any marvels and some buy both but not very many kids im afraid . too expensive for kids to pay 20-30 bucks per week.

i dont buy any new comics cause my dad owns a comic store

Well THAT'S gotta be pretty sweet!

No joke, and not for the new comics, but to get first crack at the older books that walk into the shop.

i dont buy any new comics cause my dad owns a comic store

Well THAT'S gotta be pretty sweet!

No joke, and not for the new comics, but to get first crack at the older books that walk into the shop.

I border on speaking ex cathedra when I say that a shop owner who lets his son cherry-pick the best older books coming through the shop will not have a shop for long...

Amaz Spidey

New Mutants

NYC

Simpsons Comics (best money i spend each month)

Uncanny X-men

New X-men

X-statix

any new essentials paperback release

Maybe dropping Amazing and X-statix if they dont change their act and get with a decent storyline really really soon

But may pick up GI Joe

Of all the issues listed above, I buy two copies, one for collecting, one for reading except for New Mut, NYC and Simpsons which i buy strictly for reading.

Ultimate Spideys and the Alex Ross Battle of the Planets short term project has been about it for me as far as new comics. And my raw comics started arriving damaged, so now I'm just buying a couple at my bookstore for reading and then buying a slabbed copy when the mood strikes me.

I used to love those animated video games Dragon's Lair and Space Ace so I picked up a copy or two for giggles. stooges.gif