• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is It Worth CGCing the Byrne FF Run?

97 posts in this topic

I bought the Byrne FF run off the stands from 232 to 282.  Many are unread, almost all are newsstand fresh.  Are any or all of these worth slabbing?  

The way I look at it, I could (1) do a pre-screen for 9.8 and slab all of that quality for $20 each - which seems worthwhile), or (2) I could submit for a press and slab for $48 (fast track because I would prefer not to wait 5+ months) - which seems a little costly, or (3) both pre-screen for 9.8 and then submit the ones I think would hit 9.8 with a press for a press.  

Assuming I want to sell the comics, anyone know if this makes any economic sense?

47 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I bought the Byrne FF run off the stands from 232 to 282.  Many are unread, almost all are newsstand fresh.  Are any or all of these worth slabbing?  

The way I look at it, I could (1) do a pre-screen for 9.8 and slab all of that quality for $20 each - which seems worthwhile), or (2) I could submit for a press and slab for $48 (fast track because I would prefer not to wait 5+ months) - which seems a little costly, or (3) both pre-screen for 9.8 and then submit the ones I think would hit 9.8 with a press for a press.  

Assuming I want to sell the comics, anyone know if this makes any economic sense?

pre screen is the way to go. Grab the 9.8 candidates and sub them. I wouldn't spend more than that on them. 

If you had to press them it may not be worth it unless you can do it on your own

My short answer would be: No.

For the longer answer, I recommend thinking about the following questions:

How are you planning to sell your books?

How much can you reasonably expect to make at current market prices? FTR, I see 9.8s from this run listed at around $50...

What is the demand for these books? How long will it take you to sell them?

Even a pre-screen submission can be costly. Can you objectively screen them yourself and be confident that you are getting 9.8s?

Since you bought these off the stands, do you have an attachment to them that will make it difficult for you to make objective decisions? (Post some pics in the "Hey, Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" thread, and get feedback as to whether they are 9.8 candidates.)

If you're planning to press, how much does that add to the overall cost?

How much profit do you need to make to justify the effort?

Edited by adampasz

On 10/13/2018 at 2:57 PM, sfcityduck said:

I will pay you double GPA for a 262 in 9.8 W. That should help you with your decision.

Edited by FlyingDonut

26 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I will pay you double GPA for a 262 in 9.8 W. That should help you with your decision.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-262-9-8-White-Pages-Galactic-Origin-Byrne-Art/302920038359?hash=item468770f7d7:g:qqwAAOSwHWtbwjN7

:foryou:

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

^^ well that was easy. Son of a person_without_enough_empathy. All done.

The excellence of this run cannot be overstated. It is John Byrne at his absolute best. Man of Steel is fantastic, his Superman run is good, and Alpha was also quite good...but this is where John Byrne put his heart and soul, and it shows. He loved these characters, and he created what can arguably be called the best long run of Marvel books in the early/mid 80s...and yes, I'm saying it's better than X-Men, because it is.

If you have not read FF #232-292, I cannot recommend it highly enough. You will not be disappointed.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

10 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I'm a little familiar with this set. There are a couple issues with extremely strong demand. 242, 243, 244, 254, 261, 262, 275, and 286 come to mind, also Annual 18.

+1. I had a $200 bounty on Annual 18. I ended up paying $99. I forget what I had on the table for #283, but it was a lot, as well.