• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating retrocomics
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I'd like to nominate retrocomics to the HOS/PL.  His selling thread was started on 08/28/18 and as far as I know, he has not shipped any items as multiple members have complained and already started chargebacks.  Multiple members have sent PM's with no response.  I paid on August 28th with a discussion at that time from Jeremy Smith aka retrocomics.  A follow up PM sent on 9/12/18 with the message not being opened.  Last correspondence in thread on 9/17/18 with him mentioning something about his Grandparents home being flooded and him going to help.  Also tried emailing him on 10/1/18 through the Paypal address with no response.  Sent another PM on 10/09/18 to start HOS/PL procedure with no response. 

Regretfully third. 

I was out a lot of money from a PM deal that I luckily just got back over PayPal.  I am hoping that this is just a blip on the radar and he can come off the list at some point (with an explanation).  He would have to make everyone whole on their purchases too.  I know I passed on another copy of a SOTI book that I thought I had bought from him after our deal was struck. In order for him to come back here I think he would have to at least 1) make sure everyone got their money back including and especially those that paid friends and family and 2) offer the books back to the original buyers and at least give them the option.   

All that said I really hope he is ok. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like the situation has yet to be resolved and the PL is appropriate.

I hope everyone gets made whole.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:46 AM, revat said:

Unfortunately, it sounds like the situation has yet to be resolved and the PL is appropriate.

I hope everyone gets made whole.

Paypal refunded my money today.  I'm still for the nomination and addition to the Probation list.  

On 10/14/2018 at 3:23 PM, Keys_Collector said:

I'd like to nominate retrocomics to the HOS/PL.  His selling thread was started on 08/28/18 and as far as I know, he has not shipped any items as multiple members have complained and already started chargebacks.  Multiple members have sent PM's with no response.  I paid on August 28th with a discussion at that time from Jeremy Smith aka retrocomics.  A follow up PM sent on 9/12/18 with the message not being opened.  Last correspondence in thread on 9/17/18 with him mentioning something about his Grandparents home being flooded and him going to help.  Also tried emailing him on 10/1/18 through the Paypal address with no response.  Sent another PM on 10/09/18 to start HOS/PL procedure with no response. 

I updated the PL for you.  Sorry you had to deal with this, I hope he comes back and cleans up the situation.

I have had dealings with Jeremy Many times all positive, and I am honestly Distraught over this.  May I recommend a delay in tarnishing this long standing Boardie, who we know has had many personal and family issues recently (Son, grandparents).  I hope this gets resolved.  I only have a small amount invested in this thread but have hope that this all works out.    

8 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I have had dealings with Jeremy Many times all positive, and I am honestly Distraught over this.  May I recommend a delay in tarnishing this long standing Boardie, who we know has had many personal and family issues recently (Son, grandparents).  I hope this gets resolved.  I only have a small amount invested in this thread but have hope that this all works out.    

I understand that there are extenuating circumstances and this behavior seems out of character but putting him on the probation list seems appropriate to me.  He has taken money from many people, failed to deliver, and he's disappeared.

I'm hoping he comes back soon and clears this up and sends books to those who still want them.  I'd be happy to complete my deal with him and would love to see him off the probation thread and forget all about this.

Edited by thehumantorch

14 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I understand that there are extenuating circumstances and this behavior seems out of character but putting him on the probation list seems appropriate to me.  He has taken money from many people, failed to deliver, and he's disappeared.

I'm hoping he comes back soon and clears this up and sends books to those who still want them.  I'd be happy to complete my deal with him and would love to see him off the probation thread and forget all about this.

Fair enough.  This is sad to  me.  I hope all is well.  I think we all do.  

10 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Fair enough.  This is sad to  me.  I hope all is well.  I think we all do.  

I don't believe I've ever dealt with retro before but my radar tells me he's a good guy and something is wrong.  I truly hope he can recover and is back here soon.

Edited by thehumantorch

On 10/14/2018 at 3:23 PM, Keys_Collector said:

Did anyone ever find out what happened to retrocomics?  I remember he had helped his parents out after a storm and that was it.  Never heard from again.  I think his name was Jeremy Smith?

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Did anyone ever find out what happened to retrocomics?  I remember he had helped his parents out after a storm and that was it.  Never heard from again.  I think his name was Jeremy Smith?

Nope, nothing.  Tried to track him down and contacted a few people with the same name in the same area but came up empty handed.  More upset that I didn't get that cool GA book rather than the 100 or so bucks I lost.  Oh well, lesson learned. doh!

Have to say that I was a little bothered by people immediately rallying around him when some people were out money.  I never got my money back or any books.  He deserves to be in the HOS IMO but i'm not even sure enough people would care to vote in the poll.  

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Have to say that I was a little bothered by people immediately rallying around him when some people were out money.  I never got my money back or any books.  He deserves to be in the HOS IMO but i'm not even sure enough people would care to vote in the poll.  

I think the issue here is that he has dropped out of sight, and that can be read in different ways, but imo many Boardies would be reluctant to start an HoS process without being certain of the circumstances. He is on the PL which covers a wide range of bad transactions for a wide range of reasons, but HoS is much narrower and gets traction only when the offender is considered as being "beyond the pale", as having done something so bad that merely fixing a transaction is not enough for redemption. HoS is a moral judgment, and you should hold off that until you know the exact reasons for his disappearance. If he had indeed suffered a serious misfortune of some kind, the PL would stand, but few would support an HoS nomination. 2c

Edited by crassus

30 minutes ago, crassus said:

I think the issue here is that he has dropped out of sight, and that can be read in different ways, but imo many Boardies would be reluctant to start an HoS process without being certain of the circumstances. He is on the PL which covers a wide range of bad transactions for a wide range of reasons, but HoS is much narrower and gets traction only when the offender is considered as being "beyond the pale", as having done something so bad that merely fixing a transaction is not enough for redemption. HoS is a moral judgment, and you should hold off that until you know the exact reasons for his disappearance. If he had indeed suffered a serious misfortune of some kind, the PL would stand, but few would support an HoS nomination. 2c

I can't say I agree with what you are saying.  I mean isn't taking peoples money and not shipping anything "gross misconduct"?  I'm still out money 2 years later....maybe something did happen to him but none of us know and the fact remains that he took money from more then a few people and didn't ship anything.  Whether he pops back up or not really shouldn't make a difference to what he did back in 2018 and the forum members reaction to defending him instead of focusing on the part of him not shipping items while stealing peoples money.  It happens all the time in the world where a thief takes money and then disappears.  Surprised me to see people in such defense of him instead of being concerned with people losing money.  I think that bothered me (and still bothers me to some extent) more than anything today.  I look back at his profile and see that his occupation was "lover" and he spent so much time in the water cooler being a clown so in the end, I guess i'm not really surprised to see him out of all people doing this.  (shrug)

Edited by Keys_Collector

I am surprised that as much buying and selling he did here, nobody was able to find out where he is or what happened.  Did he use a physical address or PO box?  I did a deal  with him quite a while ago.  I suppose I could go back and check for an address.  

38 minutes ago, wombat said:

Seems HOS worthy. He stole money from multiple people. We can speculate all we want as to what might have happened, but doesn't really seem to matter. 

I tend to agree. 

It would be one thing if he explained himself after the fact and made everyone whole. But he disappeared and never refunded people. 

We can speculate on what could have happened and I truly hope he is ok. But we can only act with the facts we have,  which are, he took $$ from a bunch of people,  never shipped books,  never gave refunds and never provided an explanation.