• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
48 48

61,026 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 2:44 PM, Loading... said:

Years ago when I was recovering from knee surgery a friend lent me some of the TPB from Geoff John's Green Lantern run. At the time it had been a good decade plus since I had read any comics. Being down and out with time on my hands I figured why the heck not lets give this a read. Well I got sucked in fast. His run helped rekindle my love for this medium and reminded me of the fun it can be outside of the collecting aspect. I can recall the exact moment I knew I was back. It was the bare knuckle drag out fight between Hal + Kyle vs. Sinestro. Seeing that reminded me of how much fun comics can be as I am a sucker for powerful characters being stripped of their powers and dragged into a bare hands slug fest. It's a trope that reminds me fondly of the "holy s..." moment of Superman vs Doomsday in the 90's. Yes I was 10 and yes it was awesome to me!

I was more of a Hal fan growing up and didn't care much for Kyle originally but John's handling of the character plus that fight changed my mind. So when I saw this recently I needed to add it to my collection.

GL48.jpg

Awesome, and good of your friend to care enough to alleviate some burden, me having a relative who under went the same surgery there were things that help. In her case it was Animaniacs on Netflix. To your point, I too share your thoughts, as when I got a subscription to Wolverine as a kid he had just lost his adamantium, and that was a big draw for me to read! :x 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/31/2023 at 4:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome, and good of your friend to care enough to alleviate some burden, me having a relative who under went the same surgery there were things that help. In her case it was Animaniacs on Netflix. To your point, I too share your thoughts, as when I got a subscription to Wolverine as a kid he had just lost his adamantium, and that was a big draw for me to read! :x 

Oh nice that was a a fun show when we were kids as it seems like we are close in age. Good for you sharing some fun silly humor to distract your relative. All distractions are welcome during a time like that especially comedy!

I remember freaking out over that moment in Fatal Attractions it was a very memorable moment as well when we found out his claws were bone all along. It was fun to see the character explored in a vulnerable state during that time period. I know some people didn't like it but I found it a humanizing aspect of his character. Being driven mad and lost in the fallout was wild. Now you have me wanting to revisit that story arch! Thank you @ADAMANTIUM I now know what I'll be reading after Batman: No man's land.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:21 PM, littledoom said:

A man was moving out of the country and decided to sell his entire collection. Here’s highlights from what I picked up and his entire Thor 126-500 series run with some duplicates! Only issue missing is 411

C4A6E136-1994-4BBA-8F84-348C9ECA68F6.thumb.jpeg.8d7806744bdefd362f0ad555a16aa07b.jpeg

AF6D7CE0-6A99-409D-94E8-0B60C65E58CC.thumb.jpeg.5b1c0338491ba73ec115aed7b9469e4e.jpeg

1st that's awesome! 2nd I won't ask cost, but would raise other questions that I'd have asked myself when purchasing... the story is awesome though!

Does the condition of them warrant anything? Cgc Registry? Or just basic slabs for a collection? I'm tempted to say how much that is an instant collection, even if just Thor, given when Thor starts after journey into mystery!?!

I'm in awe!

On 3/31/2023 at 5:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

1st that's awesome! 2nd I won't ask cost, but would raise other questions that I'd have asked myself when purchasing... the story is awesome though!

Does the condition of them warrant anything? Cgc Registry? Or just basic slabs for a collection? I'm tempted to say how much that is an instant collection, even if just Thor, given when Thor starts after journey into mystery!?!

I'm in awe!

Thanks for the kind words! I posted a more detailed story in the Garage sale thread. I rarely CGC grade. The seller's brother told him he should collect one hero's series title and they decided on Thor. So Thor it was! He ventured to buy every issue one by one over time. That's sticking to it. He paid more than he sold it to me for but for reference I paid $500

I'm still "trying to like Peach Momoko!" It's not bad per se, just kind of like with Jae Lee, imo, a different "frame of reference for the art!" :shy:

Like is this Carnage in a Jelly Fish Brain? Or a hunched over Carnage with a back that looks like a Jelly Fish and his arms are forming a mouth?

lol I think it is pretty! AND pretty triPpY :)lol 

Anyway, I had some business to take care of, and brought 3 separate slabs to the LCS. They wouldn't have gone for much, modern and copper age at 7.0 or 6.5, and I was able to get half of the slabbing costs! LOL At $15 a piece in "trade in", as cash, so I got this slab, priced at $60 with no further out of pocket and only trade. The owner is a decent guy and willing to be gracious! 

And the Back Cover is a trip too !! :roflmao: 

GetImage.aspx?c=5364308&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=NC8xLzIwMjMgMzoyMDoyOSBQTQ%3d%3d

GetImage.aspx?c=5364308&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=NC8xLzIwMjMgMzoyMDoyOSBQTQ%3d%3d

On 4/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i always have a weak spot for 5.5's

I thought I was the only one. :cloud9: