• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

These shows are MCU canon, correct..? It could be cool if they're the Secret Avengers stories. Episodes showing the good they're doing, despite not having the support of the world's governments to do so.

Otherwise, it doesn't make sense, and could ruin good/great characters. Bucky/White Wolf is pretty cool, and Falcon is more useful than some other jabronis (Black Widow and Hawkeye).

Marvel TV sucks. If these new MCU-based shows have great production value, then it could put up some serious competition for the DC shows, some of which are great, and most of which are better than any Marvel TV property.

Edited by TwoPiece

All of the Marvel-produced television shows are MCU canon, it's just that up until this one they've used characters that mostly aren't in the films.  The reason they're generally not as good as the films is that they're under Ike Perlmutter and his Marvel Creative Committee, not Kevin Feige.  Variety says in the article linked below that this series will fall under Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige instead of Perlmutter, and that's a wonderful thing.  :banana:

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/falcon-winter-soldier-limited-series-marvel-1203015438/

I wonder what the future direction of the other series will be once they move to Disney's service?  I'm not sure Feige can work his magic across all of the films AND all of the television series.  :eek:

34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

All of the Marvel-produced television shows are MCU canon, it's just that up until this one they've used characters that mostly aren't in the films.

While Marvel TV lies within the continuity of the MCU, they're not part of the MCU. Kevin Feige has said things to this effect before. I've been told that this is why Coulson has not reappeared in "the MCU" (or movies, if you will). No one that I know of will go on-record to say this, though.

13 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

While Marvel TV lies within the continuity of the MCU, they're not part of the MCU. Kevin Feige has said things to this effect before.

Quesada and Loeb have repeatedly said otherwise, so I'd have to see whatever Feige comments you're referencing to have an opinion.  I assume Coulson isn't going to be in the films again because the cover story for why he's still alive is lame and reminiscent of the old stereotype that comic characters get arbitrarily resurrected all the time but Feige had no control over what Perlmutter and the Marvel Creative Committee decided to do with their shows, but just the fact that they felt the need to come up with the cover story is implied verification that the television and film universes were meant to be shared.

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Quesada and Loeb have repeatedly said otherwise, so I'd have to see whatever Feige comments you're referencing to have an opinion.  I assume Coulson isn't going to be in the films again because the cover story for why he's still alive is lame and reminiscent of the old stereotype that comic characters get arbitrarily resurrected all the time but Feige had no control over what Perlmutter and the Marvel Creative Committee decided to do with their shows, but just the fact that they felt the need to come up with the cover story is implied verification that the television and film universes were meant to be shared.

You're not wrong, and this is another part of the equation regarding Feige's ascent, and the dissolution of the Committee's involvement within the MCU. Marvel TV is a derivative of the MCU, like an apple being a fruit and not vice-versa, but the MCU has purposefully failed to recognize people and events happening within Marvel TV (IMO with very good reason). Daredevil be damned...

The people at Marvel Entertainment who say that Marvel TV is "within", "part of" or otherwise associated with the MCU, are being intentionally misinforming (to retain viewership and hype). Again, Marvel TV is technically "within" the MCU as it usually directly follows or is impacted by times and events of the MCU, but the MCU takes zero cues from Marvel TV.

I can draw a comic that falls in line with everything that occurred in the Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade, and say that it's "within the universe". I would be technically correct. I understand that you're taking the word of people at Disney and Marvel, but they aren't Kevin Feige or the MCU.

Other than Coulson, the only other movie character I remember was Jaime Alexander appearing as Lady Sif in Agents of Shield a few seasons back.

Was that before or after her last movie appearance (which I'd guess was The Dark World)?

Has Maria Hill ever appeared on the show?

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Other than Coulson, the only other movie character I remember was Jaime Alexander appearing as Lady Sif in Agents of Shield a few seasons back.

Was that before or after her last movie appearance (which I'd guess was The Dark World)?

Sif's appearance on Earth with SHIELD occurred after The Dark World. The MCU did not have a place for Sif after The Dark World, so after she asked Heimdall to summon The Bifrost to bring her home in the TV show, the backstory is that Loki (disguised as Odin) banished her from Asgard in the same vein that he tried to put Heimdall on trial for "negligence of duty" (fear of exposing him as Odin's impostor).

Maria Hill has appeared in 3 AoS episodes.

Here's a cool comprehensive list of all references to Marvel films in the television shows:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-ways-the-marvel-netflix-shows-avoid-mentioning-1793966664

Wish they'd unify this under Feige so these references start going both ways and the characters can cross over--and even better so that Feige can work the same magic on the television shows that he has on the films.  :wishluck:

All of the Marvel TV shows suck, though, other than Daredevil. There are already enough people that don't like The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, etc. None of these shows are as good as those movies. The MCU is bloated, too, which is why making The Snap more than contemporary starts to make more and more sense (to me).

A Secret Avengers show with Cap, Falcon, Widow, Witch, etc would have done well to help setup Infinity War, though. Not many people understand what they were doing and going through for 2 years after Civil War. Let's hope these new series' accomplish that kind of storytelling.

I'd be down for this show.  As for a Secret Avengers type show with more of the actual Avengers... I don't think they can afford to do it, and they don't want to diminish the movie - EVENT.  BUT I wouldn't mind if someone from Marvel TV showed up, maybe Bobbi Morse, Quake, or Iron Fist - or more preferably.... SHURI.  I'm hoping for more of a True Detective w/Sam and Bucky.

Also note that this is the third announced forthcoming television limited series from Avengers that Feige will oversee.  The others announced last month are Loki and Scarlet Witch.  I'm guessing they're picking the characters they think are the most compelling but require the least special effects, although doing the Scarlet Witch well should require some significant CGI.

Of the three series the one I'm most interested in is Scarlet Witch.  Her powers have gone through a LOT of different incarnations in the comics since Stan never defined exactly what "hex powers" are, and I'm not clear on which powers the film version of her has settled on.  I also want to see her finally tied to Magneto as her father now that Marvel has the X-Men back.  :wishluck:

Edited by fantastic_four

Interesting idea. If done right, they could use the TV shows to launch new properties for the big screen. 

My guess is that they are starting with "known entities" to begin with, but will branch out in short order with other lesser characters from the movies along with new characters. The key for a successful streaming service is content, and Disney has a lot of room to grow the Marvel TV universe.

23 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agent Carter(shrug).  C'mon man, the show wasn't THAT bad for you to forgetlol.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:02 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Agent Carter(shrug).  C'mon man, the show wasn't THAT bad for you to forgetlol.

Fair - I never saw it.

And I've seen maybe four episodes of Agents of Shield total. The first episode was so bad I had to check and double-check Joss Whedon's involvement.

Like...it reminded me of Night Man from 20 years ago.

Last night, fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe were treated to an array of news from the upcoming streaming service, Disney+. The company officially announced WandaVision, Loki, and Falcon and Winter Soldier, with all of the film actors returning to their roles. Many have taken to social media to share in the exciting news, including Sebastian Stan. The actor best known for playing Bucky Barnes/The Winter Solider decided on a simple response, which was perfect considering his character is a man of few words.