• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List your first book submitted that was...the first book submitted

34 posts in this topic

Here's something I pondered as I responded to an earlier post:

Have you ever submitted a comic that had not yet been sent in before (you're the first); and if you tried to sell it, how much of a difference did it make in terms of desirability? I'm assuming the book received a collectible/investible grade (8.0 or higher depending on age).

Now don't be ashamed. Being the first to submit a particular book does not necessarily mean that it's not worthy of the hard plastic. Besides, not all books graded are done so to sell off.

Here, I'll go first (it is after all my thread):

Blue Devil #1- NO just kidding!!!! I haven't sent that one in...yet.

Ok for real:

V for Vendetta #1- I am actually surprised to be the 1st. C'mon, Alan Moore!

Squadron Supreme #1- say what you will, this "what if" was well told & some Superheroes ACTUALLY DIED & DIDN'T COME BACK. 'Reality Comics.'

I don't plan on selling these, but would like to hear scenarios from others in this situation. Thanx.

Rick

Supa,

Did you understand my question? Maybe you posted your books in the wrong thread...?

Many of these books have already been entered (several or hundreds of times) in the CGC Census. I'm looking for VERY FIRST submissions in the Census.

Dude, I would say give me some of what you're taking but...I get high on life! grin.gif

Rick

I recently sent in a batch including:

Akira 38 (9.8)

Lone Wolf 45 (9.8)

Scrooge 318 (9.6)

All of which were the first copies on the census. Somewhat surprising as all three sell for $20+ raw. Haven't sold any of them yet so not sure what the market would be like.

Dan

I submitted the following earlier this month (Economy tier, so I may get them back by New Years):

Superboy 103, 105, 111, 166, 178

None are on the census, so it should be interesting to see what they get. Some will probably be for sale since these are the lower grades of my doubles (or triples in the case of 103) and I didn't send in my better grades. Hopefully they will get 9s or above, but who knows?

I've submitted a number of books that happened to be the first on the census. Some of them are still the only copy listed. This is due mostly to the fact that many of them are so darned rare, ie late 50's DC. A few examples are Action #222 8.5, Adventure #237 9.0, Superman #109 9.0, and Lois Lane #26 9.4.

All of these and others like them went for crazy prices. The Lois Lane went for nearly 9 times guide shocked.gif I could have bought the five other issues from the seller if only had jumped on his 'buy it now' price frown.gif

I don't think I've ever submitted a Marvel or modern book that didn't already have a dozen or more entries on the census. I do have that copy of Fish Police #1 laying around though.

The Lois Lane went for that much? That's very interesting. I have some extremely high quality Lois Lanes, and I've been trying to figure out if they're worth CGCing or not. Some have no copies graded as of yet, and I always wondered if that helped. LL was one of the few series I collected that I would spring for books that were in great condition. I just adore that crazy chicka. But I wasn't sure anyone else cared. Now I know that there are LL collectors out there. Thanks!!

-- Joanna

Hmmm...I'd have to say the most recent Modern batch I sent had a Lady Death micro leather edition which I didn't see on the census yet... wink.gif Should have it back this week. Kind of curious on grade since the cover seems indestructible.

Think it'll go for big bucks? wink.gif

lol! I don't have a desire for the 'kitten with a whip' genre (though I do like CFD and DC romance books - No 'orgy' comments from CI or murph thank you! wink.gif )

The LD book was cheap on ebay so I got it. It may be stain resistant...it's a pretty heavy duty cover. wink.gif Maybe that's why? wink.gifgrin.gif

Being an obscure Marvel junkie, I've submitted a Mad About Millie #1 (Marvel, 1969) early on, and I'm surprised it's still the only one out there (a 9.2 to boot grin.gif). Well, maybe not that surprised. tongue.gif

I have no desire to sell it, but I am curious as to what the market value is for this book.

Dang, not one single example of a CGC'd "first Census" book that has sold?

Come on, what about the rest of you...? Darth, FF, murph0, Banner, CGCMINT, Comic Investor, greggy, rickdogg, mistercomics, etc ad nauseum...

I'd even settle for Crusty...or Pulpy...or gaak!!

Somebody has (or had) one. Think about the singularity of the listing- the uniqueness:

ONLY CGC BOOK IN EXISTENCE!! SHOW OFF TO YOUR FRIENDS!

Can there be a better selling point?

Speak up people, we're not getting any younger. laugh.gif

Geez - these aren't even worth mentioning. First one to submit Ultimates 3; 5 copies 2 CGC 9.8; Witchblade 54 gold foil...check my last weekends sales to see how they went...

I have plenty more. Every time I'm the first to submit a new book before other prescreeners is another notch. Nothing special for me here. Probably the first to submit USM # 7 and up...there are so many I can't really tell

Ok, I'll play. I've sold quite a few "first/only census" books in the past, but typically the reason there are no others is that the book is in low demand, so I don't remember any specific sale. However, I'm currently auctioning the only CGC-graded copies of these, so we can watch with glee as they shatter the perception that the CGC-graded market is soft, and that there is no demand for DC:

World's Finest 194 CGC 9.4 NM Best Known Copy

World's Finest 221 CGC 9.4 NM Best Known Copy, White pages

To make it even more interesting, let's guess the hammer price - I'll say $45 for the 194, and $25 for the 221.

DARTH,

Do you think that being the first to submit has a detrimental effect on the grade? Like maybe they scrutinze the book much closer because they're not familiar with it? ow many copies of Hulk 181 have they seen? They probably know just where to look for the really common defects in it.

What do you think? I have no opinion because I've only gotten one batch back.

Ok Darth,

Sounds like you have plenty of candidates. You must have an idea of what to expect for these special items (comparing to unslabbed specimens of equal condition). My question is do you get unexpected action- or inaction- on the books you've mentioned? Pleasantly surprised...disappointed...or is their no discernable difference? Inquiring minds want to bask in your knowledge! cool.gif

Thanx, Rick

Dr Banner,

Thank You for your input. I'm curious though; why didn't you list as "Only CGC copy in Existence"? Don't you feel that would add to the allure of the book?

Also, I'm surprised at your own guess of the hammer prices:

9.4's, only CGC copies, pre-' 75, DC (yeah, baby)

I don't wanna sound like a neophyte, but I'll seriously consider buying at those prices...and I don't even collect that title!

Is my ignorance showing? blush.gif

Anyway, I will watch these closely.

Thanx again, Rick

CosmicBob,

I second that sentiment. I noted in a previous thread the possibility of just such a bias. Unfamiliarity = Scrutinization. It's human nature. But even if it were true, there's not much you could do but wait & let others take the heat before submitting your own...

Yeah, like the wait isn't long enough already! Nutz to that!! tongue.gif

Rick