• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Bats 1
5 5

579 posts in this topic

From the present to the distant future if someone looks up the what/where/when of the “comic book”, the prevailing information will be a Action 1 cover to represent the origin of the medium and the super hero and Captain America 1 cover will represent the time, place, and the greatest comic creator in history.

8 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

From the present to the distant future if someone looks up the what/where/when of the “comic book”, the prevailing information will be a Action 1 cover to represent the origin of the medium and the super hero and Captain America 1 cover will represent the time, place, and the greatest comic creator in history.

I could see that

On 11/16/2018 at 10:39 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Which surprises me.  I know Sup 1 is the scarcest of the three, but its mostly reprints.  Before the hate mail comes in, please know I’m the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who sold his 5 years ago for what they were then going for:  not much.

I agree - to be honest I don’t see the appeal in Superman 1 (maybe someone can convince me). I preface this with I am a huge Superman fan - but I would rather have an Action 23 than Superman 1 (ignoring the price difference of course - factoring in the price difference I would take the Superman 1 and sell it to buy a Batman 1 and Action 23) - I know I am in the minority/alone in this view but I don’t care :) 

But back to the topic at hand - both such amazing books and congrats on the purchase of your Batman 1 - that had to be a tough choice!!!!

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

I agree - to be honest I don’t see the appeal in Superman 1 (maybe someone can convince me). I preface this with I am a huge Superman fan - but I would rather have an Action 23 than Superman 1 (ignoring the price difference of course - factoring in the price difference I would take the Superman 1 and sell it to buy a Batman 1 and Action 23) - I know I am in the minority/alone in this view but I don’t care :) 

But back to the topic at hand - both such amazing books and congrats on the purchase of your Batman 1 - that had to be a tough choice!!!!

I confused myself a huge Supes fan as well and hdve never had any interest in Supes 1. Love the cover and the fact that it’s the first sole title devoted to the character. But to me it’s just a bunch of reprints for the most part. 

10 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t disagree except for 2 major DC villains get introduced in Bat 1.  No major new characters in Sup 1(all reprints except for 2 page expanded origin), and nothing in spidey 1.

Joker!  Catwoman!

Can’t argue with 1st appearances of Joker / Cat.  That being said will Bats 1 catch up with Supes 1 $ wise ?  I think there are about 100 less in the census ?  But seeing that .5 Bats 1 with front cover for Heritage go for so low makes me think it won’t happen anytime soon. I wud think an equivalent Supes 2 wud have sold for double ??

Edited by Chicago Boy

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Action 1 and superman 1 remind me of Amazing fantasy 15 and spiderman 1.  

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I don’t disagree except for 2 major DC villains get introduced in Bat 1.  No major new characters in Sup 1(all reprints except for 2 page expanded origin), and nothing in spidey 1.

Joker!  Catwoman!

Except - ASM1 introduces the Daily Bugle (and Peter's whole life/persona as a reporter) and (importantly) starts Marvel's most popular series and the most important Spider-Man Series.  Whereas Superman 1 is not Superman's main title - that is obviously Action Comics.

Batman 1 introduces 2 major Batman villains and arguably the most popular villain in all of comics (i.e., you don't buy Batman 1 for Batman you buy it for the Joker (and to a lesser extent Catwoman)).

So I think Superman 1 is very different from Batman 1 and ASM1.  I would assume its price level is due to its scarcity ........ ????

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Can’t argue with 1st appearances of Joker / Cat.  That being said will Bats 1 catch up with Supes 1 $ wise ?  I think there are about 100 less in the census ?  But seeing that .5 Bats 1 with front cover for Heritage go for so low makes me think it won’t happen anytime soon. I wud think an equivalent Supes 2 wud have sold for double ??

:whistle:

Superman 2 CGC 6.0 D.jpg

Batman2CGC35_zps5b486bd8.jpg

55 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Except - ASM1 introduces the Daily Bugle (and Peter's whole life/persona as a reporter) and (importantly) starts Marvel's most popular series and the most important Spider-Man Series.  Whereas Superman 1 is not Superman's main title - that is obviously Action Comics.

Batman 1 introduces 2 major Batman villains and arguably the most popular villain in all of comics (i.e., you don't buy Batman 1 for Batman you buy it for the Joker (and to a lesser extent Catwoman)).

So I think Superman 1 is very different from Batman 1 and ASM1.  I would assume its price level is due to its scarcity ........ ????

You forgot the main man jjj.jpg.75c5cf3e25475d3e2cb2eeccb16a6282.jpg:makepoint::whee:

On 11/16/2018 at 10:00 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Let's compare the 2 copies shall we ? Not all 0.5s are created equal. And the Cap1 buyer likely has those missing wraps.

19183543%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

RAD2D7812018922_232221.jpg

RAD65DF62018922_232225.jpg

yes! the devil is in the details,  the Cap #1 .5 copy has much better eye appeal than the Bat #1 .5. it's just a much better "looking" book, if the Batman #1 had the same exact eye appeal as that .5 Cap #1, it would be a $45k - $50k  book easy. also, leading up to the Heritage auction, I had guessed the price of the Batman #1 .5 copy would go between $20k - $25k, looks like I was right. If the book didn't have two size-able pieces missing from the front cover and tape along the spine, It would have gone higher.

Batman a more convincing hero so broader appeal. Simple iconic cover!

Capt 1 great but artwork way to busy 

Hitler & Capt. caught in Time period 

Batman timeless...

Boy wonder was a new idea at the time much better sidekick.

Back cover blows Capt 1 away when compared.

Joker

Catwoman

Robin

Batman way more successful character by far.

ill go with Bat 1

and I just bought one ;) 

37 minutes ago, storypapers said:

Batman timeless...

Joker

Catwoman

Robin

ill go with Bat 1

and I just bought one ;) 

It's not true unless we see it hm

45 minutes ago, storypapers said:

Batman timeless...

Joker

Catwoman

Robin

ill go with Bat 1

and I just bought one ;) 

Cap  not caught in time period   Starting out in WW 2 is how he hit his start.  Upon thawing now in present so that works 

11 minutes ago, woowoo said:

It's not true unless we see it hm

49 minutes ago, storypapers said:

Batman timeless...

Joker

Catwoman

Robin

ill go with Bat 1

and I just bought one ;) 

Let’s see the scan!