• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,636 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is one of those $3 pick ups that I'm thankful for, but snap! I'm hoping it was a good one!

I just get my patience tried when I come up empty all the time lol.

IMG_20211101_132659760.jpg

I believe that issue marks the very beginning of the Marvel zombies. So yes, I think that's a good one.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:20 PM, tvindy said:

I believe that issue marks the very beginning of the Marvel zombies. So yes, I think that's a good one.

I was thinking that it was at least the 1st cover but :takeit:

On 11/1/2021 at 5:45 PM, DocCRR said:

Is a 'double error cover' of Ultimate FF21 worth anything ? First cover appearance, second overall appearance pf Marvel Zombies. (I think the first appearance is in Ultimate FF20).

Thanks !

They first appear in UFF 21. Their first cover is above for $3 is a good buy. 

Marvel Zombies 1 sell much better which confuses me because other Kirkman did it
it came out later.  For every one UFF 21 I sell I can sell 3 or 4 Marvel Zombies 1.
I think its a lack of education on buyer's still currently.

Edited by fastballspecial

Not trying to start a debate on first appearances, but there is a reflection of Zombie Reed on the last page of UF20. Does it count in the Marvel Zombies lore ??

I agree that the UF books are a precursor to the Marvel Zombes books, and should have more interest. There was a slight bump in interest of the UF books with the What-if shows, but not much. Maybe it has something to do with UF being the Ultimate U. vs. M. Zombies being in the reg. 616 

I do have a double cover error version of UF21 (which I found out when I was looking over Adamantium's post; funny the things you notice if you pay attention !). Any thoughts on whether there is interest/spec on this error version ?

On 11/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, DocCRR said:

Not trying to start a debate on first appearances, but there is a reflection of Zombie Reed on the last page of UF20. Does it count in the Marvel Zombies lore ??

I agree that the UF books are a precursor to the Marvel Zombes books, and should have more interest. There was a slight bump in interest of the UF books with the What-if shows, but not much. Maybe it has something to do with UF being the Ultimate U. vs. M. Zombies being in the reg. 616 

I do have a double cover error version of UF21 (which I found out when I was looking over Adamantium's post; funny the things you notice if you pay attention !). Any thoughts on whether there is interest/spec on this error version ?

Sure be more then happy to buy it from you PM me.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, DocCRR said:

Double covers are great! I have a few, they're fun regardless! I'd have it slabbed for fun, still got to be worth more than the regular. If your wanting pricing, I dont know that it all amounts to too much ,.... yet of course!

Still I'd be glad to have it for $20 shipped lol

I'm so broke, but you definitely get the buzz for that find! :headbang:

:tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/2/2021 at 9:58 PM, littledoom said:

From a local show over the weekend. The DC test logos make me the happiest most

1D984035-9B60-4800-AE8A-4151954BDD3A.thumb.jpeg.b13d8370e9991b7ae009a1b543ca7eff.jpeg

I would say finding the "Superman Comics" test logo books in a dollar bin made no sense whatsoever... except I found this copy in a dollar bin several years ago, as well.  (I also have a copy from around when it came out.)  I think I finally found the Firestorm for around $10, but that was specifically grabbing it when Half Price Books was doing a half-off sale.

Justice_League_3.jpg

On 11/2/2021 at 10:43 PM, OtherEric said:

I would say finding the "Superman Comics" test logo books in a dollar bin made no sense whatsoever... except I found this copy in a dollar bin several years ago, as well.  (I also have a copy from around when it came out.)  I think I finally found the Firestorm for around $10, but that was specifically grabbing it when Half Price Books was doing a half-off sale.

Justice_League_3.jpg

Yeah definitely out of place. Most dealers know about it. He just missed them. Another JL test logo was found at another local dollar sale in my area. 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:48 PM, littledoom said:

Yeah definitely out of place. Most dealers know about it. He just missed them. Another JL test logo was found at another local dollar sale in my area. 

The store I got my dollar copy out knew but didn't care; they liked to seed the dollar bins with gems.  They were also big on slabbing books, anything not high grade was likely to get cheap boxed for a long time.  They eventually started individually pricing some books, but it took them ages.  (They mostly sell cards.)

On 11/3/2021 at 2:43 AM, OtherEric said:

The store I got my dollar copy out knew but didn't care; they liked to seed the dollar bins with gems.  They were also big on slabbing books, anything not high grade was likely to get cheap boxed for a long time.  They eventually started individually pricing some books, but it took them ages.  (They mostly sell cards.)

Anything for a dollar these days is a deal , even low graders 👍‼️😷

On 11/3/2021 at 12:43 AM, OtherEric said:

Justice_League_3.jpg

Funny thing is I used to see those Test Logos everywhere. My shop had several copies in the 90s/2000s. Now I never see them.  Did some burn them or something? 

On 11/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, fastballspecial said:

Funny thing is I used to see those Test Logos everywhere. My shop had several copies in the 90s/2000s. Now I never see them.  Did some burn them or something? 

It may depend on where you shop.  Not sure where they were distributed, I know they showed up in the Seattle area because a friend got one off the rack.  I suspect they were ubiquitous for a while because the idea of variant covers was unusual even into the 90's so everybody wanted them; now that we're used to rare variants these aren't super rare compared to some and the books aren't key for any reason other than the covers.  So they don't get pulled out as often at the shows or shops.