• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,636 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2022 at 2:38 PM, waynemel said:

@ADAMANTIUM correct, 2nd appearance of RiRi, that is Invincible Iron Man #10.  Raney variant cover.  

Thanks! A friend had me look up league of comic geeks app, luckily didn't have to download to get the info :)

I realize my pic with the lighting covers up issue number too :( 

I now have two #10's regular cover 1st print and this one. I'll probably just put it in a box until some year the 2nd app is on a label, I seem to have a lot of 2nd's like that.

Thanks Again ^^ 

On 8/28/2022 at 11:40 AM, Ant-Man said:

Really enjoy adding promos/giveaways that I’ve never seen. X-Men: Life Lessons fits that description.

58108C25-96E6-4C02-B8A6-093AD70A5BAC.thumb.jpeg.9b2e06299199f07f91f9b98733f8df90.jpeg

I'm always happy to see that one. That's the Starbright Foundation give-away book, and while I wouldn't consider it extremely elusive, it definitely doesn't show up in the secondary markets as often as some of the other "health" promos do. Likely because this was intended as a promo for kids with life-changing injuries (the story is a young X-Men recruit who suffers disfiguring facial burns), it probably didn't have the print run of similar books with a wider target audience.

There are actually two versions of this one, also. Starbright had a Spanish-language variant produced for non-English speaking kids.

As an added bit of info, if that cover art style looks familiar to some folks, that's because all the art for this promo was done by John Paul Leon, better known for interior pencils on Earth X and the first 9 or so issues of Static (and a ton of other stuff at both DC and Marvel). Sadly, Leon passed away from cancer last year at age 49.

On 6/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, Qalyar said:

I'd consider both versions "infrequently encountered", but some of that is likely just the limited visibility of adult-targeted books on the secondary market.

several years ago I purchased cases of both books from a person who had picked them up at a clearance sale of the publisher

On 8/29/2022 at 5:45 PM, jsilverjanet said:

several years ago I purchased cases of both books from a person who had picked them up at a clearance sale of the publisher

Did not know that! Guess that makes these a lot more accessible than they were originally. Publisher stock dumps and warehouse finds always mess with things!

On 8/27/2022 at 2:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Let me know what you think of the iron man cause I believe it is the variant to the second appearance of RiRi, but I'm no good with those.

On 8/27/2022 at 3:38 PM, waynemel said:

@ADAMANTIUM correct, 2nd appearance of RiRi, that is Invincible Iron Man #10.  Raney variant cover.  

I know the flavor has shifted to #9. But we are just completely disregarding #7 now? ???
7, 9 then 10.

On 9/1/2022 at 5:58 PM, ygogolak said:

I know the flavor has shifted to #9. But we are just completely disregarding #7 now? ???
7, 9 then 10.

Lol I guess I could have said 2nd full appearance, but I thought it went without saying  :shy:

Lol no worries

Spoiler

It's also why more than likely cgc will never add 2nd appearance to the label of #10?

I assume that it affects it if the 1st app is a cameo?

I'd love to hear otherwise :) realized they did it with wolverine and probably some other less obvious characters doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/1/2022 at 5:58 PM, ygogolak said:

7, 9 then 10.

Lol I guess I could have said 2nd full appearance, but I thought it went without saying  :shy:

Lol no worries

It's also why more than likely cgc will never add 2nd appearance to the label of #10?

I assume that it affects it if the 1st app is a cameo?

I'd love to hear otherwise :)

But believe me your thoughts are not lost on me with the cameo 1st of Invincible so inexpensive, but I'll try to be more tactful.

It wasn't ignored just overlooked  :cheers: