• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in the Dollar Box
9 9

1,628 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2022 at 5:57 PM, Qalyar said:

The weirdest thing for me about this TPB is that it collects the first 3 issues of a 4-issue miniseries. To be fair, there was a really long delay before President Evil #4 released, and I think there was some question as to whether it was ever going to happen. So I guess, since the series got some press attention, that they'd compile what they had as better than nothing.

I haven’t got to reading it yet.  Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to find a #4 before I do.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:25 AM, Beastfeast said:

Right time, right place on these.  Walked into this sorta comic shop, sorta junk shop just as the owner was buying a collection.  He didn't even look at what was in the boxes - just pointed at them and said, "You can check these out.  let me know if you find anything cool."  These are what I pulled out.  Half were $1 and half were $.50.  When he was looking at the books and pricing them, he apologized for having to charge me $5 on a black bagged Superman 75 - which was the most expensive book.  Small towns are crazy, man.  

PCdNjkR.jpg

zGM6vVk.jpg

j6h49vB.jpg

So this 'dealer' priced these books at $1

For NM #87, Darkhawk #1 etc etc.

Was he wearing sunnies and carrying a white stick?

Easy $1500 worth of books there. hm

On 10/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, Beige said:

So this 'dealer' priced these books at $1

For NM #87, Darkhawk #1 etc etc.

Was he wearing sunnies and carrying a white stick?

Easy $1500 worth of books there. hm

$1500?   Man, where were you when most of these were sold.  Would have happily taken a cool 1k.  

On 10/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, Beastfeast said:

$1500?   Man, where were you when most of these were sold.  Would have happily taken a cool 1k.  

Probably happily offering $1750 (shrug)

At the price you paid the dealer is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:07 AM, Beige said:

Probably happily offering $1750 (shrug)

At the price you paid the dealer is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

completely agree with that and I'm gonna miss the east coast.  Fingers crossed that guy is still in business when I head back around Christmas.  

I'm still confused by that guys pricing.  When he had a flea market booth years ago, it was even more all over the place.  It's always nice when you can buy a stack of good comics AND a cast iron skillet at the same place.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 10/11/2022 at 7:49 PM, fastballspecial said:

did the Alf 48 actually get recalled? I have seen it both ways now over the years can anyone confirm this?

Also great find I never see the book never even at shows only seen it once.

Nope. Print run wasn't real big for those last few Alf issues because who cares? And then that issue in particular has become a meme collectible for obvious seal-molestation reasons. Not recalled, though.

On 10/11/2022 at 10:21 PM, Qalyar said:
On 10/11/2022 at 7:49 PM, fastballspecial said:

did the Alf 48 actually get recalled? I have seen it both ways now over the years can anyone confirm this?

Also great find I never see the book never even at shows only seen it once.

Nope. Print run wasn't real big for those last few Alf issues because who cares? And then that issue in particular has become a meme collectible for obvious seal-molestation reasons. Not recalled, though.

Okay I thought so, but wasn't completely sure. 

On 10/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, littledoom said:

I bought 25 shortboxes for $10 each so these highlights were all well less than a $1 each!

5109BB63-3E16-4EC3-8A85-6904597F5EAC.thumb.jpeg.a1613f3d3202ac41de742f3fb263079e.jpeg

That's a lot of boxes, so I'm glad to hear there were a few gems ^^