• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

price variant?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

included are pics of the incredible hulk #433 one is printed on glossy stock at 1.95 and 1 is printed on newsprint much thinner print @ $1.50.

is the direct edition @ $1.95 the comic shop print and the $1.50 one a newsstand price

is there a difference in value?? thanks for the help

WIN_20181120_22_47_34_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181120_22_47_25_Pro.jpg

42 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Search around. This has been discussed at great length on the board, in many threads. 

Actually, I think it's an honest question and has some merit in being discussed here. :grin:

1 hour ago, divad said:

Actually, I think it's an honest question and has some merit in being discussed here. :grin:

Of course, but the last thread got locked because some ignorant :censored: wasn't getting the answer(s) he wanted. To be clear, he was getting accurate answers, but they weren't what he wanted to hear.

They are not price variants. If you want to see Newsstand Price Variants, look here.

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Search around. This has been discussed at great length on the board, in many threads. 

RMA I was asking about the 2 specific books that I took pics of which is a newsstand and which is comic shop. "search around" because it has been discussed previously in great length in many threads . Everyone was a newbie at one time and responses like this have a tendency to alienate newer members and make them reluctant to want to join in. just my 2 cents

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Of course, but the last thread got locked because some ignorant :censored: wasn't getting the answer(s) he wanted. To be clear, he was getting accurate answers, but they weren't what he wanted to hear.

They are not price variants. If you want to see Newsstand Price Variants, look here.

I remember the uncanny x-men had a regular and deluxe issues of some issues, don't know if there was a difference in price with those when they first came out (though I suppose I could do some research on this question as well)...... 

1 hour ago, anstettoman said:
12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

RMA I was asking about the 2 specific books that I took pics of which is a newsstand and which is comic shop. "search around" because it has been discussed previously in great length in many threads . Everyone was a newbie at one time and responses like this have a tendency to alienate newer members and make them reluctant to want to join in. just my 2 cents

You're not a noob. Virtually everything you could ever want to know about comics, especially modern comics, has been posted here and discussed, often many times, by a lot of people, who have put in a lot of effort to give out this information....freely....to the collecting community. This place is, more than just about any other web site out there, a virtual encyclopedia of information on all aspects of the comics market. The only real issue is that it's not organized, but it IS searchable. And, the bonus is, as you search for the information you want, you can discover other things you never knew.

People have put a lot of time and effort into posting this information. I don't think you'd rather have people ignore the request altogether (which happens a lot already.)

Lazyboy linked one such thread. Here's another:

Here's another:

Here's one of my posts from that thread:

yakface said:
This Incredible Hulk is one of my favorite cover.

TIH2-441-m.jpg42172865216.441.NEWSSTAND.GIF

I forgot all about the Hulks! THANK YOU for reminding me of that! There WERE $1.95 Direct books that were still $1.50 on the newsstand, which was the opposite direction. The Direct books were more expensive than the newsstand books, but the newsstand books were using the cheaper paper, until Marvel abandoned the more expensive paper across the line. I had forgotten all about that!

Hulk was "deluxe" for issues #426-429, then dropped the "Deluxe" from the cover, but kept the same price. I *believe* they kept the same glossy paper stock for issues #430-#432, but I'm pretty sure they dropped it by #433. I'd have to check my copies. I know by #435, the "deluxe" quality was gone, but still at the same price.

I also remember being annoyed at the $1.95 price, and wanting to go to the newsstand to buy the $1.50 copies...but didn't want to wait!

Hulk, I think Dr. Strange? I want to say the "Marvel Edge" books? I'd have to look it up, but yes, in the time in between, there were Direct books that were more expensive than the newsstand books.

Here's another thread that touches on it:

This one touches on it, as well:

Lots of info out there.