• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

Not the prettiest due to the mis-cut, but here’s my entry. I tried to reason with CGC to update the label for this that it's the 1st gorilla cover in comics or 1st comic to showcase a gorilla on the cover, however you want to say it. There's a fun backstory online with the history of the book, and how this comic made it popular going forward to put gorillas on covers. Alas, I lost the battle for that lol. I may be reaching haha, but I choose to believe you could make an argument that this book paved the way for the creation of the DC villain, Gorilla Grodd. Just my .02.

81AF08B4-118C-4B5E-A5AF-03F4DE7771C0.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Not the prettiest due to the mis-cut, but here’s my entry. I tried to reason with CGC to update the label for this that it's the 1st gorilla cover in comics or 1st comic to showcase a gorilla on the cover, however you want to say it. There's a fun backstory online with the history of the book, and how this comic made it popular going forward to put gorillas on covers. Alas, I lost the battle for that lol. I may be reaching haha, but I choose to believe you could make an argument that this book paved the way for the creation of the DC villain, Gorilla Grodd. Just my .02.

81AF08B4-118C-4B5E-A5AF-03F4DE7771C0.jpeg

action6.jpg

33 minutes ago, Timely said:

action6.jpg

Aww damn, well that puts a stinker in my case lol. I guess SA8 was more about making it a popular thing to do. I googled first gorilla comic book cover and Action 6 didn't pop up, nor other earlier books but clearly my key word search didn't produce the best results. I could still make the case for 1st sci-fi gorilla cover hm.

https://comicsalliance.com/history-gorillas-comic-books/

The real turning point for gorillas, the year that really made them a star, was 1951. This was the year that Strange Adventures #8 came out, featuring the story “The Incredible Story of an Ape With a Human Brain.” At this time, editors were anxious to grab on to any trend they could that would increase sales (plus ça change...), and apparently Strange Adventures #8 sold pretty well. Legendary DC editor Julius Schwartz once recalled that “[DC editorial director] Irwin Donenfeld called me in and said we should try it again. Finally all the editors wanted to use gorilla covers, and he said no more than one a month."

Soon they were pushing that “one gorilla a month” rule to the limit. DC's sci-fi/fantasy/horror titles such as Strange Adventures and Tales of the Unexpected have since become notorious for their gorilla covers. Even in this not-quite-Silver Age era, superheroes were getting into the gorilla mix, with Batman fighting the Gorilla Boss of Gotham in Batman #75 (1953), Superboy battling Kingorilla in Adventure Comics #196 (1954), and Wonder Woman, uh, playing baseball with one in Wonder Woman #78 (1955).

Edited by LDarkseid1

14 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Aww damn, well that puts a stinker in my case lol. I guess SA8 was more about making it a popular thing to do. I googled first gorilla comic book cover and Action 6 didn't pop up, nor other earlier books but clearly my key word search didn't produce the best results. I could still make the case for 1st sci-fi gorilla cover hm.

https://comicsalliance.com/history-gorillas-comic-books/

The real turning point for gorillas, the year that really made them a star, was 1951. This was the year that Strange Adventures #8 came out, featuring the story “The Incredible Story of an Ape With a Human Brain.” At this time, editors were anxious to grab on to any trend they could that would increase sales (plus ça change...), and apparently Strange Adventures #8 sold pretty well. Legendary DC editor Julius Schwartz once recalled that “[DC editorial director] Irwin Donenfeld called me in and said we should try it again. Finally all the editors wanted to use gorilla covers, and he said no more than one a month."

Soon they were pushing that “one gorilla a month” rule to the limit. DC's sci-fi/fantasy/horror titles such as Strange Adventures and Tales of the Unexpected have since become notorious for their gorilla covers. Even in this not-quite-Silver Age era, superheroes were getting into the gorilla mix, with Batman fighting the Gorilla Boss of Gotham in Batman #75 (1953), Superboy battling Kingorilla in Adventure Comics #196 (1954), and Wonder Woman, uh, playing baseball with one in Wonder Woman #78 (1955).

Maybe 1st sci-fi gorilla, not sure.  I know fiction house used a lot of animals on their titles, Jumbo, Jungle, Kaanga, Wambi, etc...  Fox also like using Gorillas, such as Wonder Comics #2 from 1939.

wonder.jpg

Edited by Timely

4 minutes ago, Timely said:

Maybe 1st sci-fi gorilla, not sure.  I know fiction house used a lot of animals on their titles, Jumbo, Jungle, Kaanga, Wambi, etc...  Fox also like using Gorillas, such as Wonder Comics #2 from 1939.

wonder.jpg

Well sir, you've definitely made me feel pretty stupid lol. I guess It will stay a cool story for the book itself, and nothing more.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, Robot Man said:

From the penthouse to the outhouse...:roflmao:

combobcolt2Church1.jpg

You see a book like that and think, this is what Chuck based his offer for the entire collection on. Overpay on Bob Colt and then find out you get an Action 1-100 to make up for it.