• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2023 at 5:33 PM, Dr. Love said:
On 3/7/2023 at 4:39 PM, Sarg said:

Is the cover artist really unknown?

Shores

Shor-isn't

On 3/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, Dr. Love said:

3-8 baby, shor-nuff

but...I expected you to deny it!

If the question is "Is the cover artist really unknown?" then the answer is "shor-isn't" if the cover artist is Shores. :acclaim:

Beautiful book, BTW!

Edited by MrBedrock

If sold today, what do you all think would be the highest priced Mile High comic book?   Would it be Action Comics #1?  I thought I heard many moons ago that the Action #1 Mile High was not in NM condition.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:26 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

If sold today, what do you all think would be the highest priced Mile High comic book?   Would it be Action Comics #1?  I thought I heard many moons ago that the Action #1 Mile High was not in NM condition.

Not sure if this is trolling or not, but the Church copy of Action #1 was the most valuable comic when it sold nearly 40 years ago, and really nothing has changed since then. Easily still the most valuable book from this collection (especially considering both the Detective #27 & Superman #1 have been graded as 8.5s).

On 3/16/2023 at 3:27 AM, Crowzilla said:

Not sure if this is trolling or not, but the Church copy of Action #1 was the most valuable comic when it sold nearly 40 years ago, and really nothing has changed since then. Easily still the most valuable book from this collection (especially considering both the Detective #27 & Superman #1 have been graded as 8.5s).

Not trolling.... just did not know and one of my boys inspired the question.   Thanks for clueing me in.  It would be interesting to see how much it sells for when it comes up for sale again.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:16 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Not trolling.... just did not know and one of my boys inspired the question.   Thanks for clueing me in.  It would be interesting to see how much it sells for when it comes up for sale again.

Highly unlikely to see for quite a while. I believe it is a “legacy” book that will most likely stay in the family. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:43 PM, clarkkentdds said:

Hmm .. So not to be a contrarian, but I believe a collection of this value will have a hard time staying "in the family." We are talking about 10s of millions for the entire collection. Right?

If everything was already graded, if there were already established comparable sales, if there were nothing but comics in the estate, if they were partitioned out over a couple years in widely advertised sales at the best venue, and if everything was done without minimizing tax consequences, then yes.

None of these are likely to be the case, so it is entirely plausible that the comics part of the collection passes intact.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, sagii said:

I agree that this will more than likely be the case 

Agreed.  These types of "properties" usually don't get sold until they get in the hands of grandchildren.   When that happens, I've heard that normally they get sold.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Agreed.  These types of "properties" usually don't get sold until they get in the hands of grandchildren.   When that happens, I've heard that normally they get sold.

Would be nice if they could arrange an event like this for it, just so the public can see it 

Last issue of this book just after it turned into a crime book. Obvious who I got it from. Ron was smart in buying Church books. He realized early on how special they were so he bought quantity not quality. I bought a handful and shortly after he sold most of them to John McLaughlin and JV. He had a lot of them.

Pretty sure it would garner a ped label from CGC if I ever felt the need to have it graded. 

9EBF19FF-0EAB-4C17-9AB5-909F747D92C1.jpeg

CE67EE05-32D3-4112-B64C-ADA3F6B22DF4.jpeg