• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

I don't know jack-:censored: about Shang-Chi, but...

Are people really going to be interested in a "hero" whose only "power" is expert martial artist..?

Isn't he just kinda the Asian-male version of Black Widow, without all of the spy intuition..?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the film has potential from a martial arts/fighting perspective, but as a Phase 4 MCU film?

27 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't know jack-:censored: about Shang-Chi, but...

Are people really going to be interested in a "hero" whose only "power" is expert martial artist..?

Isn't he just kinda the Asian-male version of Black Widow, without all of the spy intuition..?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the film has potential from a martial arts/fighting perspective, but as a Phase 4 MCU film?

Although he was influenced by Bruce Lee and films not very kind to Asians (Fun Manchu), he is more than just a highly trained athlete.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:49 AM, kdoginohio said:

Shouldn't Fu Manchu be in there somewhere? Can Black Jack Tarr still call him China man?

I just read the run for the first time after completing my set and in the letters pages in the mid 1970's fans were questioning that turn of a phrase as being "out of touch", so I imagine in today's climate that would be a definite NO :)

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although he was influenced by Bruce Lee and films not very kind to Asians (Fun Manchu), he is more than just a highly trained athlete.

How/why..? Just because Stark gave him electric nun-chucks in the comics or whatever?

If he gets cosmic power to duplicate himself, oh no! He can be like all of the other generic armies that Marvel has shoved down our throats! Like HYDRA, SHIELD, The Chitauri, Ultron, The Outriders, etc etc etc.

He basically is just a highly-trained athlete. Or, if "cosmic"-powered, just like multiple trained athletes...

So what's the actual draw..?

On 7/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

In the comics, he doesn't really. But the MCU can change things as they want or need to for the film. 

In the movie, Shang Chi is rumored to be the Mandarin's son. If that's the case, it's possible Shang Chi has a power set similar to his father's. The word "Chi" is in Shang Chi's name after all. Perhaps he can summon a great amount of Chi force into a single strike like the Mandarin or Iron Fist (why should some lame kid from the West have sole access to one of China's great resources, the Iron Fist?)

If Marvel Studios can find a way to ruin the character in the name of making it more homogenized for the masses, I'm sure they will. It's been a successful formula so far.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

How/why..? Just because Stark gave him electric nun-chucks in the comics or whatever?

If he gets cosmic power to duplicate himself, oh no! He can be like all of the other generic armies that Marvel has shoved down our throats! Like HYDRA, SHIELD, The Chitauri, Ultron, The Outriders, etc etc etc.

He basically is just a highly-trained athlete. Or, if "cosmic"-powered, just like multiple trained athletes...

The "draw" of the book was not really about the martial arts, but more about the eastern philosophy.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Marvel will only pay the tiniest amount of lip service to what made the book interesting and he'll be cracking jokes and throwing fireballs around ala Mortal Kombat.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The best I can say right now with no -script details, scene shares or even larger casting I guess the best answer for now is 'we shall see'.

But with the source background, there's potential of a stronger story associated with the character and his regional background that people will find appealing and unexplored just yet by the MCU.

Just now, Logan510 said:

The "draw" of the book was not really about the martial arts, but more about the eastern philosophy.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Marvel will only pay the tiniest amount of lip service to what made the book interesting and he'll be cracking jokes and throwing fireballs around ala Mortal Kombat.

That sounds :censored:ing awesome!*

*Said no one.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

The best I can say right now with no --script details, scene shares or even larger casting I guess the best answer for now is 'we shall see'.

But with the source background, there's potential of a stronger story associated with the character and his regional background that people will find appealing and unexplored just yet by the MCU.

Well, obviously the strength has to be storytelling. My point is that in an expanding and ever-cosmic MCU, why would we be interested in such a bare-bones human character within the current MCU?

I suspect that it can be a good movie, or a good comic book movie, if they play to character strengths and storytelling. Obviously, The Mandarin and Ten Rings tie it to MCU history, but I'm highly skeptical of any impact to the future of the MCU.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

That sounds :censored:ing awesome!*

*Said no one.

I honestly don't understand ( or care much ) what Marvel's plan is. I like Shang Chi, I really do..but he is a C lister at best. But Marvel found a way to take a group of C listers ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) and turn them into a MEGA hit. They have the secret sauce and everything they touch pretty much turns to box office gold.

I have my copies of Special Marvel Edition #15 ready and waiting and that's pretty much the only excitement I can drum up for this movie.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I honestly don't understand ( or care much ) what Marvel's plan is. I like Shang Chi, I really do..but he is a C lister at best. But Marvel found a way to take a group of C listers ( Guardians of the Galaxy ) and turn them into a MEGA hit. They have the secret sauce and everything they touch pretty much turns to box office gold.

I have my copies of Special Marvel Edition #15 ready and waiting and that's pretty much the only excitement I can drum up for this movie.

GotG had what I consider to be the "magic formula", though. A human character (Star-Lord) involved in a story that expands the MCU (galactic creatures, Power Stone, Thanos) leading to a point.

Shang-Chi is just Jackie Chan with MCU history. Human element is there, but instead of expanding the MCU it's toning it down to just the human level, and dragging in history (Mandarin, Ten Rings) instead of building future.

It could be a good solo kinda flick, but in today's massively-expansive MCU, I just don't see the fit.

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

GotG had what I consider to be the "magic formula", though. A human character (Star-Lord) involved in a story that expands the MCU (galactic creatures, Power Stone, Thanos) leading to a point.

Shang-Chi is just Jackie Chan with MCU history. Human element is there, but instead of expanding the MCU it's toning it down to just the human level, and dragging in history (Mandarin, Ten Rings) instead of building future.

It could be a good solo kinda flick, but in today's massively-expansive MCU, I just don't see the fit.

So you're saying he would've been better suited to what Marvel was doing on Netflix, less cosmic, more street level.

I don't need everything to be FX and cosmic. The movie will fit in like the character fit into the MU in the comics.

Of course it will absolutely suck and be a HUGE hit lol

And I hope to make some nice coin when I sell my copies :)

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

So you're saying he would've been better suited to what Marvel was doing on Netflix, less cosmic, more street level.

I don't need everything to be FX and cosmic. The movie will fit in like the character fit into the MU in the comics.

Of course it will absolutely suck and be a HUGE hit lol

And I hope to make some nice coin when I sell my copies :)

He just doesn't seem to fit the type of character that builds on the MCU in self-titled films. More like a sidekick Black Widow/Hawkeye type.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He just doesn't seem to fit the type of character that builds on the MCU in self-titled films. More like a sidekick Black Widow/Hawkeye type.

The series lasted until issue #125...seems like a little more than a sidekick to me (shrug)

Personally I would've rather seen a well done Iron Fist...as opposed to the POS we got on Netflix.

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

The series lasted until issue #125...seems like a little more than a sidekick to me (shrug)

Personally I would've rather seen a well done Iron Fist...as opposed to the POS we got on Netflix.

The comics are fine, sure. You have a giant human-shaped Galactus in the comics. I don't think you can go all Unicron and just have this planet-sized humanoid on screen, though. Things work differently between books and film.

Had Marvel Studios done a slower build, with Shang-Chi prior to Iron Man, and more strictly-human characters I think that may have worked. In an MCU with Thor, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel etc I don't think he fits in at this point.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The comics are fine, sure. You have a giant human-shaped Galactus in the comics. I don't think you can go all Unicron and just have this planet-sized humanoid on screen, though. Things work differently between books and film.

Had Marvel Studios done a slower build, with Shang-Chi prior to Iron Man, and more strictly-human characters I think that may have worked. In an MCU with Thor, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel etc I don't think he fits in at this point.

Do you work in Hollywood? You seem to have the right attitude for it :)

Frankly I don't see why they couldn't do a giant human-shaped Galactus. If they played it straight I think it could look amazing...of course Marvel Studios would have him taking a big krap on Mt Fuji or something because everything MUST serve the jokes.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Do you work in Hollywood? You seem to have the right attitude for it :)

Frankly I don't see why they couldn't do a giant human-shaped Galactus. If they played it straight I think it could look amazing...of course Marvel Studios would have him taking a big krap on Mt Fuji or something because everything MUST serve the jokes.

lol I wish I worked in Hollywood... Consulting for Kevin Feige or Zack Snyder would've been pretty cool...

Having a bunch of Ant-Men going after a humanoid Galactus would be pretty weird, though. Tough to imagine being able to choreograph anything that doesn't look silly in the final product. And, yeah, of course the prototypical MCU humor would make its way...

They didn't do that for Thanos, though. Part of what made him such a menacing and, IMO, perfect villain. Part of what made Black Panther great, again IMO (and mentioned in Honest Trailers), was his lack of quipping.

I guess time will tell if Jackie Chan makes for a good MCU film. If done well, I suspect that comic fans may enjoy it. I also suspect that the casual fan will not care for it regardless of whether or not we like it.