• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

lol I wish I worked in Hollywood... Consulting for Kevin Feige or Zack Snyder would've been pretty cool...

Having a bunch of Ant-Men going after a humanoid Galactus would be pretty weird, though. Tough to imagine being able to choreograph anything that doesn't look silly in the final product. And, yeah, of course the prototypical MCU humor would make its way...

They didn't do that for Thanos, though. Part of what made him such a menacing and, IMO, perfect villain. Part of what made Black Panther great, again IMO (and mentioned in Honest Trailers), was his lack of quipping.

I guess time will tell if Jackie Chan makes for a good MCU film. If done well, I suspect that comic fans may enjoy it. I also suspect that the casual fan will not care for it regardless of whether or not we like it.

Of course even though Thanos was CGC, heaven forbid they show him with his helmet on :facepalm:

I thought Black Panther was pretty decent for a Marvel movie. The way they handled vibranium was almost...almost as stupid as Spider-Man having his chest symbol be a drone and having an AI.

Just now, Logan510 said:

Of course even though Thanos was CGC, heaven forbid they show him with his helmet on :facepalm:

I thought Black Panther was pretty decent for a Marvel movie. The way they handled vibranium was almost...almost as stupid as Spider-Man having his chest symbol be a drone and having an AI.

:whatthe:

Yeah, the Spider-Drone was lame. I didn't care for Karen one way or the other. Very cool that they hired Bettany's wife to do the voice acting, though.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:whatthe:

Yeah, the Spider-Drone was lame. I didn't care for Karen one way or the other. Very cool that they hired Bettany's wife to do the voice acting, though.

I wasn't aware of that but to be honest it wouldn't have mattered to me either way. It was just SO stupid and so not what Spider-Man ( at least the version I enjoy ) is about, it completely took me out of the movie. Even more than Holland playing Spider-Man as if he has ADHD. Yuck.

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

lol I wish I worked in Hollywood... Consulting for Kevin Feige or Zack Snyder would've been pretty cool...

I guess time will tell if Jackie Chan makes for a good MCU film. If done well, I suspect that comic fans may enjoy it. I also suspect that the casual fan will not care for it regardless of whether or not we like it.

Thank God you don't have Kevin Feige's ear. We could all do with a little less of your casually racist view of a character and a culture.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

How/why..? Just because Stark gave him electric nun-chucks in the comics or whatever?

If he gets cosmic power to duplicate himself, oh no! He can be like all of the other generic armies that Marvel has shoved down our throats! Like HYDRA, SHIELD, The Chitauri, Ultron, The Outriders, etc etc etc.

He basically is just a highly-trained athlete. Or, if "cosmic"-powered, just like multiple trained athletes...

So what's the actual draw..?

Chinese Box Office $$$

9 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

The Master of Kung Fu (Shang Chi) comic lasted nearly 10 consecutive years as a solo comic, something that Hawkeye, Black Widow, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Luke Cage, Nick Fury, the Eternals, Ant-Man, the Wasp, Blade, Jessica Jones, Man-Thing (yes, there's been a movie), Inhumans, Howard the Duck, and Elektra can't claim - and yet there they are in a movie or TV show.

Ghost Rider got a shot at TWO movies being made, no reason Shang Chi shouldn't get HIS chance.

In this MCU, though?

As mentioned - the comics and the MCU (obviously) just aren't the same. I guess the box office #'s are all that matter? How do you tell a good and meaningful (within the MCU) story at this junction?

I know - "only time will tell" is basically the final answer.

IRON MAN 3 WRITER IS EXCITED TO SEE THE REAL MANDARIN ENTERING THE MCU

mandarin-shang-pearce-main.jpg

When the first moviegoers went into IRON MAN 3 back in 2013 they were expecting to see Ben Kingsley bring the classic Marvel baddie, the Mandarin, to life for the first time on screen. But we were all thrown for a loop when it turned out it was all a ploy, with Kingsley actually being an actor named Trevor Slattery, hired to play the Mandarin by Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce). But now with SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS on the way audiences will finally get to see the real Mandarin, and IM3 writer Drew Pearce is excited to see it happen.

The writer has been on the promotional tour for the movie HOBBS & SHAW (which he co-wrote with Chris Morgan), and spoke with CinemaBlend about the villain being incorporated into the MCU, and how the fact he’s brought to life by an Asian actor (Tony Leung) and Asian filmmakers is of significant importance.

"You know, and there are modern interpretations of The Mandarin that I think can work in the context of, particularly of a Marvel movie that has a much more grounded basis in Asian culture and has, frankly, Asian filmmakers and other Asian actors in its ensemble, and driving the story. In our Iron Man movie, as you and everyone else knows, it was my feeling that if we did The Mandarin in many of the forms that he is most commonly known as we were playing into the racial stereotypes that generated the character in the beginning."

After IRON MAN 3 hit theaters Pearce came back to direct and write the Marvel One-Shot, ALL HAIL THE KING, in which Slattery was living it up in prison. All of a sudden, he's confronted by Jackson Norriss (Scoot McNairy) who reveals the Mandarin is indeed real, and he's looking to speak with Slattery. Even though the ALL HAIL THE KING short came out years ago, Marvel Studios president said back in May that they still had plans to use the real Mandarin down the road, and only two months later while at Comic-Con he was announced as the villain for SHANG-CHI.

I did not realize the Iron Man 3 writer directed the Marvel One-Shot follow-up.

I know this mentioned in the Phase 4 thread about the Mandarin casting. But it is interesting where this can go moving forward.

Shang-Chi Casts Tony Leung As The MCU's Real Mandarin

Tony-Leung.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738&h=369

The real Mandarin is going to be in Shang-Chi: Legend of The Ten Ringsand will be played by Tony Leung. One of Marvel Studios' most controversial decisions came in Iron Man 3 as it was believed that the legendary Iron Man villain Mandarin would be involved. Ben Kingsley was set to play him, but it was all a ruse, as he was instead a washed up actor playing the part for Aldrich Killian's (Guy Pearce) schemes.

However, the All Hail the King Marvel One-Shot confirmed that the real Mandarin does exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fans have been left waiting and wondering if that tease would ever be paid off ever since. When it was revealed that a Shang-Chi movie was in the works, many theorized that this could be Marvel's opportunity to actually use the Mandarin - and now they've confirmed that's the plan.

During Marvel Studios' Hall H presentation at San Diego Comic-Con, they confirmed that Tony Leung will play the real Mandarin in Shang-Chi. Leung is an incredibly famous actor who is best known for his work overseas in films like In The Mood for Love and Infernal Affairs.

Confirmation that Mandarin is going to be part of Shang-Chi: Legend of The Ten Rings will finally bring closure to one of the MCU's biggest mysteries. It also means that the popular theory that the MCU will make Shang-Chi's father the Mandarin a real possibility, even though that was not confirmed during the presentation. Even if that doesn't happen, the Mandarin will clearly have a big role to play in the movie based on the subtitle. The Ten Rings could refer to the organization the Mandarin leads and/or the incredibly powerful, magical artifacts he wears. Either will make Mandarin central to the story that Shang-Chi will tell.

During last month's San Diego Comic-Con, we learned that  Simu Liu will play the titular hero in Shang-Chi and The Legends of the Ten Rings, while Tony Leung is set to bring the real Mandarin to the MCU. Awkwafina was also brought out on the stage, but her role wasn't revealed by Marvel Studios. 

Well, a new report reveals that before Comic-Con, they were looking to cast a female character who was described as a "loyal soldier" to The Mandarin. It's theorised that the villain will be Shang-Chi's father in the movie (instead of Fu-Manchu) and if that's the case, there's a very good chance that Awkwafina will be playing Fah Lo Suee.

In the comic books, she is Shang-Chi's sister and possesses the powers of hypnosis.