• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2021 at 10:27 AM, kimik said:

Trevor was the best part of the movie.

The movie was so bad as action/fantasy that Trevor's silliness stoodout as the principle entertainment. Same with Katy. I found myself waiting for Trevor or Katy to do or say something amusing as I doomscrolled my phone.  

I literally just finished SHANG-CHI and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me just the right blend of action and humor. I've always been a martial arts kind of fan when it brings in the mystical, having been hooked on the original KUNG FU tv series since it first aired in 1972. 

Michelle Yeoh never seems to age. She has been one of my favorite action stars since 1993's HEROIC TRIO. 

I am not a Ben Kingsley fan. Anyone who can utter the ridiculous notion that we could encode DNA specs about humans into "a quarter of a kilobyte" without being aware of what he is saying, or who can sit there in what appears to be a drunken stupor while "playing" a vampire leader, or who took the Academy Award away from E.T. with GANDHI, well...I really did enjoyed him here. Had to look his character up on IMDB as I did not recognize him. Was quite the surprise.

Loved the dragons, the sets both old Asian and new Western, the characters, the story etc. I will be watching again later today and this goes on my "repeats list". My only regret is the DR. STRANGE, which I have been posting my desire for a movie here since I joined the boards, did not bring me the pleasure SHANG-CHI did. 

OH - for the record, I read a few of the original comics but never got into them, as I was doing pre-code horror and pre-hero marvels then. So am not approaching this as a comic fan but just a film goer.

Edited by PovertyRow
that OH section at he end and spelling

On 11/25/2021 at 7:41 AM, TupennyConan said:

The worrisome part is SC & his really, really stupid rings bearing some important role in the MCU future.

They could just ignore that point, as they have done with things in the past. I doubt they do that, though. Could possibly already be connected to DS2.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:45 AM, media_junkie said:

The Bad:

Awkwafina - Please just stop.  Not sure who in Hollywood decided she was "it" but ugh.

Comedy -  All the jokes just fell flat for me.  Was it the jokes themselves or that Awkwafina was in most of the joke scenes I'm not sure but they were just ugh.

I agree the jokes were bad but thats not her fault. Blame the Marvel writers. 

I also just realized Awkwafina shares the same voice as Scarlett Johansson.

Finally saw this today, and it was, well, it was alright. I actually liked Black Widow more, but my mother, who I watched both films with, preferred Shang-Chi, which I told her is the prevailing consensus. I spent half the film complaining in my head about the Ben Kingsley recast, only to get to the end credits and realise it actually was him! Whooops! I just didn't find enough characters to be compelling enough to keep my interest beside Shang, WenWu, Sister whose spelling I'll butcher right now (XiaLing?), and Katy. 

It was nice seeing Wong again, always a treat.