• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2023 at 4:24 AM, adamstrange said:
On 6/8/2023 at 1:28 AM, MrBedrock said:

Two things -

1) a big chunk of the $10 - $15 mil is original art.

2) I don't think anyone has a grasp of the volume of cheap back issues that MCS is moving. They have obliterated Mile High's business and have a virtual monopoly on the market for the last few decades of raw back issues. 

I think they've been reaching $10 - 15 million in comic sales.per auction in 2021 and 2022 (iirc, their peak auction was $27M).  Their weekly comic sales are substantial.  I'm pretty sure Heritage would be the leader in the 10 cent era comics, but we would need stats from both companies to determine who sells the most overall.

Yeah, the Promise books were all comics, after all.  Also sold on Heritage during 2022  were the Rocket Action #1 ($3.18m) and the SF Cap #1 ($3.12m).  You would have to sell a whole lotta raw books to equal just one of them, let alone both. 

For context, it would take the sale of 3,180 $1k books to equal the single gross revenue from the Action #1. If the books being sold on MCS are raw, then presumably most are worth well less than $1k, otherwise they'd be slabbed.

Edited by tth2

On 6/7/2023 at 9:23 PM, batman_fan said:

Yes, tried for the #4 because the Larson signature was beautiful. Dropped out of the #7.  Underbidder on the #8.  Always a bride's maid never a bride 

Yeah it was in a nice spot. I guess if you wan't any of this run now, especially 1 through 5, you just have to keep going until the other person/s throw in the towel. It's like a slugfest. 

On 6/7/2023 at 10:52 PM, skypinkblu said:

I just told a friend, I've always thought it was undervalued. If nothing else, the 1st or it's tied for Schomburg's first cover.

Hey S! Yes with Marvel Mystery 3 as you know. But I think with a much cooler cover. I'd take Daring 1 over MM 3 any day. A 2.5 MM3 went for over 12k in December and a 2.5 Daring 1 for just under 8k six months prior, both on CC. The MM3 was a Cosmic A and the Daring 1 had tape on the spine but it was clean and bright. Still a big difference.  13k for a 4.0 tonight. Not a bad score for the new owner I guess. 

On 6/8/2023 at 2:24 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I did not know Daring 1 was the 1st Schomburg cover! And it looks like I’m the only one that didn’t - I need to get out more, I guess. To me, that is as significant as Stan Lees 1st work for Timely in Cap 3. Guess there’s another book added to my want list

When the next copy shows up in an auction remember this simple advice, wear a cup. Bidding can get pretty fierce 

Edited by batman_fan

On 6/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, batman_fan said:

When the next copy shows up in an auction remember this simple advice, wear a cup. Bidding can get pretty fierce 

Yep. It's like Holyfield/Bowe 1992. When I saw the Daring 1 was coming a few months ago I had hopes of acquiring it. But I didn't bid because I was pretty sure I would be going head to head with someone with a stronger chin than mine. By chin I mean bank account. Had I decided to go for it most likely the book would have topped 15,000 and I still would have lost. Just being realistic. Hoping a moderate resto comes around one day. 

Although some are saying that it appears t\even the GA marketplace might be sofening a tad, still no signs of it on this book here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1001256

sev1.96.jpg

Not sure where it will finish up at later this evening, but already at a very strong $7,200 for what would otherwise be a nicely presenting CGC 3.0 graded copy save for that big piece out of the front cover which unlike a NCB crease is a defect that is clearly not fixable.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 6/8/2023 at 7:31 AM, lou_fine said:

Although some are saying that it appears t\even the GA marketplace might be sofening a tad, still no signs of it on this book here:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1001256

sev1.96.jpg

Not sure where it will finish up at later this evening, but already at a very strong $7,200 for what would otherwise be a nicely presenting CGC 3.0 graded copy save for that big piece out of the front cover which unlike a NCB crease is a defect that is clearly not fixable.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Not surprised to see the rare peeping Tom variant doing well.