• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,122 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 6:19 PM, MrBedrock said:

Reading the discussions on the grade on the Pay Copy always amuses me. When it originally came up for auction through Sotheby's, long before CGC, there were a small group of graders highly respected by most here on the boards, including Jerry Weist and Jon Berk, who gave it a grade of 89 out of 100. With CGC's grade scale that would equate to a 9.0/9.2. I have held the book a few times. It doesn't look out of place in a 9.2 holder.

I would be willing to do nasty, filthy, unspeakable things to own it.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:45 AM, Aman619 said:

I seem to recall Four Color Comics selling the pay copy and the Motion Pictures Funnies copy to Geppi...  Anyone else?

Yes, and then it passed in the above-mentioned Sotheby's auction. And people may argue whether the Marvel 1 is nicer than the Church, Denver, WC, or some other high grade copy, but there is no question the MPFW is much, much better than the next best surviving copy.

On 1/23/2022 at 4:10 AM, Crowzilla said:

Yes, and then it passed in the above-mentioned Sotheby's auction. And people may argue whether the Marvel 1 is nicer than the Church, Denver, WC, or some other high grade copy, but there is no question the MPFW is much, much better than the next best surviving copy.

The only other known MPFW copies are Lloyd Jacquet copies with really crummy pages, right? I'm hoping that there could be some other copies out there, but it doesn't seem very likely.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, Straw-Man said:

well, the pay copies are jacquet books, too, aren't they?

I guess so, but the pages appear to be nicer. Maybe the pay copy was stored in a different location than the other copies—in a filing cabinet instead of a box in the attic or something like that.

It would be nice to see another copy or two turn up. Maybe Jacquet gave some sample copies to someone who saved a couple of them. One can hope. (I'm not sure whether any copies were actually given out at theaters.)

On 1/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I guess so, but the pages appear to be nicer. Maybe the pay copy was stored in a different location than the other copies—in a filing cabinet instead of a box in the attic or something like that.

It would be nice to see another copy or two turn up. Maybe Jacquet gave some sample copies to someone who saved a couple of them. One can hope. (I'm not sure whether any copies were actually given out at theaters.)

I wonder who got those 8-9 copies once they were found in Jacquet's estate sale (in other words, how they came to the market). I know Jon Berk got one eventually... wonder how he acquired it.  I love stories about how these books made their way from the estate sale to wherever they are today.  Just doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this book (even the wiki article just says they were found in the estate sale and nothing further).

On 1/23/2022 at 11:12 PM, tth2 said:

Burn it.

No loss.  It's not even a 9.4.