• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
20 20

2,581 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2024 at 1:17 PM, mytastebud said:

Currently where is the best place online to purchase an Omnibus or Deluxe? Am I right thinking the Absolute editions are no longer being released?

I hate to give Amazon all my money but it seems they are the cheapest. (shrug)

Try these guys:

https://www.instocktrades.com/

On 8/7/2024 at 6:17 PM, mytastebud said:

Currently where is the best place online to purchase an Omnibus or Deluxe? Am I right thinking the Absolute editions are no longer being released?

The general consensus here is that Amazon's shipping of these books is terrible, well, just tossed in a box with no packing, moves about inside in transit, often gets dinged.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1419777688?maas=maas_adg_F53A8ACA85A6965C8947DD7677E8FC35_afap_abs&ref_=aa_maas&tag=maas

The long-awaited reissue of the classic Vertigo miniseries Uncle Sam by Steve Darnall and Alex Ross is a sharp political fever dream praised by Kirkus as a “truly subversive graphic novel” and “a damning account of American political history that also affirms basic democratic ideals”

Uncle Sam: Special Election Edition is a vibrant, hallucinatory tour of modern America—the story of a star-spangled, ragged vagrant named Sam who is guided by the voices in his head and his own fractured memories.

Absorbed by history-traveling visions of America’s dark past, Uncle Sam struggles to remember his true identity and piece together the scattered clues of his own experiences in this deep and thoughtful look at America’s checkered past.

Meticulously researched by Steve Darnall and fully painted by Alex Ross,
Uncle Sam returns in print just when it is needed most—in time for the 2024 presidential election—as a reminder of American ideals, the promise of our nation, and the democracy that is at stake.

Originally published by DC, and out of print for over a decade, this expanded and updated Special Election Edition is brought to readers by Abrams in collaboration with DC.

436229664_969280201233976_9065496111586936538_n.jpg

On 8/8/2024 at 3:17 AM, mytastebud said:

Absolutes are still being released. They're re-releasing Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier in Absolute format in the near future. 

On 8/9/2024 at 12:14 AM, Cat said:

Absolutes are still being released. They're re-releasing Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier in Absolute format in the near future. 

A must-buy for this format.

I finally found a copy of JLA by Johns volume 1 for sale for a reasonable price, and it had been this price the whole time at my LCS. Here I am wasting my time going through Amazon and the like all over the world, and my LCS had it for a decent price the whole time. I bought this run up until about #12, but hadn't read past #8. I bought the first 2 volumes in hardcover format, but never got around to re/reading them. So this may as well be completely fresh content, and I'm a lot more excited about it now than I was when I was buying it new (minus the Jim Lee factor) 

Looks like it's been awhile since I've last posted here. I also now own Secret Six volume1, all material I've read before, but it made me such a huge a fan of Catman, an absolute nobody. I also received the Brightest Day omnibus, as it was ridiculously cheap. 59% off on an already discounted price on Amazon. Books in mint condition. Very happy. I love Brightest Day. 

Then finally I got the Strange Adventures Deluxe Edition. I loved the base hardcover so much, I had to have the deluxe edition. It's got something like 300 pages of extra material. 

Next: bring on the DC/Marvel Omnis. 

Edited by Cat

On 8/13/2024 at 11:42 AM, D2 said:

Not sure peoples' thoughts on the current Artist Editions, but the David Mazzucchelli Batman Year One was just released, and it is perfection

thumbnail_IMG_8626.jpg

Congrats. 

I did not have the Absolute edition until I ordered it yesterday. One of my all-time favorite storylines ever.

If you opened it, it would be cool to see some interior pages.:cloud9:

On 8/13/2024 at 11:42 AM, D2 said:

Not sure peoples' thoughts on the current Artist Editions, but the David Mazzucchelli Batman Year One was just released, and it is perfection

thumbnail_IMG_8626.jpg

People on the AE forum are calling it the mount rushmore of AE editions and have been talking it up nonstop for months. I was lucky to get a copy on IST this morning for a good price, and wouldn't be surprised to see it sell out.

A lot of people who ordered directly from IDW complained about packaging and are returning copies.

On 8/14/2024 at 2:19 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Thanks so much for the head's up on that one, guys. I just ordered it as well. Plus I tossed in the Immortal Hulk omnibus for good measure. That could use a re-read. :bigsmile:

The Immortal Hulk omni is YUUUUUUGE!

On 8/14/2024 at 5:15 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Do you have it? How big is it? I saw it was like 1,600+ pages or something. Lol

Yeah, it's massive. I've got quite a few omnis in my collection and this one is the biggest. Reprints all 50 issues, plus a bunch of one-shots and mini-series. Here it is on a shelf next to some others.

IMG_4079.jpg

I had pre-ordered the Mazzuchelli BATMAN book from Amazon last Spring-- and it was promised to be delivered on the day of release, well on the day of release - nadda.   So I cancelled it-- I usually have good luck with Amazon, I don't worry too much about dings on books because I'm going to read them and they'll get banged up-- but I checked IST and it was $30 cheaper and in stock-- so I placed an order and bam-- it's already shipped.  Thanks to you fellas and gals. ;)

I was hoping someone here could give me some info on PS Artbooks and whether they are a good source for golden age reprints and such? I know they are based in Britain, but wanted to know if anyone had purchased things from them and what they though of their products. Thanks.

On 8/14/2024 at 9:30 PM, AndyFish said:

I had pre-ordered the Mazzuchelli BATMAN book from Amazon last Spring-- and it was promised to be delivered on the day of release, well on the day of release - nadda.   So I cancelled it-- I usually have good luck with Amazon, I don't worry too much about dings on books because I'm going to read them and they'll get banged up-- but I checked IST and it was $30 cheaper and in stock-- so I placed an order and bam-- it's already shipped.  Thanks to you fellas and gals. ;)

read it and write a review!

would be great to hear your thoughts