• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,480 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2022 at 7:35 AM, srezvan said:

...who doesn't love Alex Ross?

I haven't read it yet, so not sure how robust his writing chops are, but he's easily my favorite artist. I hope that one day my collection will be full of every comic that he's worked on (I haven't started collecting his covers or partial interiors yet).

InStockTrades announced some sales:

Start Date - End Date
Tuesday, November 22nd - Tuesday, November 29th
DC up to 45% off
Image up to 45% off
Dark Horse up to 45% off
Marvel up to 42% off

Tuesday, November 22nd - Wednesday, November 23rd
Kodansha up to 40% off
Vertical up to 40% off
Viz Media up to 35% off
Yen Press up to 30% off

Wednesday, November 23rd - Thursday, November 24th
IDW up to 40% off
Boom! Studios up to 35% off

Thursday, November 24th - Friday, November 25th
Fantagraphics up to 35% off
Dynamite up to 35% off

Friday, November 25th - Tuesday, November 29th
Loyalty Discount, which is normally an additional 2% off, will be bumped up to 3% off!

On 12/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

An X-Mas miracle!

It really was! I was expecting the worst, but they came through for once.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, Zonker said:

My Miracleman Omnibus came today, courtesy of CGN.  :applause:

MiraclemanOmniV1.thumb.jpeg.d80f57bcbd0d3241a9adfa68c8ab0411.jpeg

I'm glad I have it, but am a bit surprised by the contents:

• With minimal lead-in (no essays or forewords or such), the story begins on Pg 9, starting with the Prologue from the Eclipse Miracleman #1
  • The final chapter of Olympus, corresponding to Eclipse's Miracleman #16 lands on Pg 329.  But the Omni is less than half done at this point!
  • Reprints of Alan Moore's Warpsmith and other stories from Warrior take us up to Pg 364 and are welcomed additions to the volume. (thumbsu
  • Then the Marvel stuff created after they got the license is added on to reach Pg 389 of the Omni. meh
  • The balance of the book, including photos of original art, covers, alternate covers for both the Eclipse and Marvel series expands the book to 808 pages! :whatthe:

Now I haven't read the Marvel stuff, so I'll reserve judgement.  But I have to wonder, once the decision was made to go beyond the Alan Moore stories, why not include the Miracleman Apocrypha series from Eclipse?  I suppose they are holding those back to help fill out a volume 2 Omni reprinting Neil Gaiman's contributions, i.e. the Golden Age and perhaps finally completing the Silver Age (knock wood).  But as it stands, this book seems completely padded out.  I mean, I usually appreciate all the extras the Marvel reprint department gives us in their Omnis.  But couldn't they limit themselves to curating the very best, I dunno, two-hundred pages of such stuff? (shrug)

Update-- Today I finally caught up to reading the Grant Morrison and Milligan / Allred stories reprinted in the Omnibus from Marvel's 2015 All-New Miracleman Annual #1.  They are okay, but now I understand that Morrison's --script was written for Warrior in 1984 and never printed due to Warrior ceasing publication.  So I suppose it is the first post-Alan Moore Miracleman story to be written, and therefore merits inclusion here before the later Apocrypha stories published by Eclipse.  I am not aware of any similar pedigree for the  Milligan/Allred story.  It apparently is just along for the ride from the Marvel Annual, which is fine.

Edited by Zonker
typo

On 12/7/2022 at 1:38 PM, F For Fake said:

This little xmas present to myself arrived yesterday, and I'm stoked. Man alive, this thing is heavy. Love and Rockets: The First 50 - The Classic 40th Anniversary Collection, reprinting the first 50 magazine-sized issues in their entirety, in beautiful hardcovers, with a nice slipcase. Plus, a bonus volume of interviews, reviews, and miscellania. Beautiful presentation of some of the best comics ever printed. Looking forward to the re-read. I've not read them in publication order in a long time, should be a blast. 

MSRP is $400. IST has it for $280. I got it through Amazon, it was a little pricier at $330-ish, but I had some gift cards that made it more attractive. Surprisingly they delivered it without any damage. Probably helps that it was triple boxed. This sucker is BIG.

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

I'm envious.  Huge Love and Rockets fan, but no space for something that large. Congrats !

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/14/2022 at 11:32 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I'm envious.  Huge Love and Rockets fan, but no space for something that large. Congrats !

Thanks friend! Boy, you're not kidding about the space. I had to do some serious rearranging to find a spot that could accommodate it. Ended up having to put it on a bottom shelf sort of out of sight, which is a shame, but I literally have nowhere else to put the beast!

Sadly, I am somewhat disappointed with the Watchmen Artifact Edition. I had forgotten that all of the OA covers were lost/sold, and Gibbons' foreward is depressing to read. Maybe I'll warm up on it someday, but - comparatively - it's not nearly as exciting as TDKR one.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sadly, I am somewhat disappointed with the Watchmen Artifact Edition. I had forgotten that all of the OA covers were lost/sold, and Gibbons' foreward is depressing to read. Maybe I'll warm up on it someday, but - comparatively - it's not nearly as exciting as TDKR one.

What was depressing about the forward? I don't buy artifact editions, so I can't read it. Just curious.

On 12/20/2022 at 7:47 AM, srezvan said:

What was depressing about the forward? I don't buy artifact editions, so I can't read it. Just curious.

Gibbons was highlighting the sale of the OA before the series printed, and despite saying multiple times, "there's no need to cry over spilled milk" it came across as pretty much exactly like crying over spilled milk. I feel for him, but I was expecting to read something that would get me excited to flip through the pages.